Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (feral)      Join Date: Oct 2011       10-20-2014, 7:47 PM Reply   
I have two very young kids starting to get into comps (8yo - AUS)

I am struggling to explain to them how the judges score the runs.

obviously the more tricks, the harder they are the more score but teaching 8yo's about EXECUTION, INTENSITY and COMPOSITION is complex.

(section 17.2 - http://www.iwwfwakeboard.com/IWWF/Ru...rea%202013.pdf)

they wanna know what points to they get for:

a good Ollie?
a good switch?
a good 1W grab?
a good W2W?

is there a range? ie up to 50 points for an Ollie?

do you only score for one trick each run? (ie no repeating tricks?)

There is a judges course I am looking at attending soon and I am getting some info from a local coach but I really want some more basic stuff which they can read themselves.

cheers.

cheers.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-20-2014, 8:53 PM Reply   
Hi Feral, maybe I can help.

Tricks don't get specific points. Often times scores are given out in relation the rest of the riders. So when a more basic division starts the first rider or 2 are kind of a bench mark (their scores are usually in the middle, say 3's or 4's out of 5. Than as the rest of the riders do their runs, they are scored on the same scale but also in relation to the previous riders. So if the next kid goes and he lands a few more tech tricks but he doesn't go nearly as big he will score higher in execution and lower in intensity. All tricks in each run are kept track of,so when a division is close they can look at the specific tricks to help choose a winner. This is why its important to mix the runs up with different tricks, do them as smoothly and stylish as possible and go big.

Hope this helps a little. For the 8 year olds focus on basic surface tricks and 1 wake and w2w jumps. Grabs are a big plus, as are 180s.
Old     (feral)      Join Date: Oct 2011       10-21-2014, 2:35 AM Reply   
Thanks - good info!
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-21-2014, 6:27 AM Reply   
Here's the judging sheet for INT league (amateur/local competitions) - which might give you some idea.

http://www.intleague.com/intinsider/#/26
http://www.intleague.com/intinsider/#/28
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-21-2014, 8:31 AM Reply   
Interesting Judging sheets for the INT. Up in Canada we don't judge the runs this way, I always heard that back in the day riders had to fill out "Attack Sheets" and got specific points for tricks but I thought they had all gone away from that. It was interesting that in the trick lists they had "Bunny Hops" and "Back Scratchers" lol.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       10-21-2014, 8:56 AM Reply   
INT still counts tricks with points. It's dated, but IMO, it works for the most part, but there are a lot of things I still don't agree with.
Old     (feral)      Join Date: Oct 2011       10-21-2014, 3:23 PM Reply   
cool - thanks. even if they score via the method LW mentions above the points put the tricks into context and give them something to aim at. good info thanks all.
Old     (shredsickgnar)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-22-2014, 1:23 AM Reply   
Feral,

Don't take it too seriously. Let your kids enjoy it. Show up to a contest and just let the ride you'll meet people and see how the whole thing works. They don't need to win their first contest. Their only 8.
Old     (chrislandy)      Join Date: Mar 2014       10-22-2014, 4:49 AM Reply   
"back in the day" (mid 90's) we had to fill out a full trick run list including what you intended to do on the double-up! It was a rollover from trick skiing but had "style" and "how big" points added to the overall run.

My favorite name (although unfortunately no-one ever did it) was the "japan-air", it seems to have come back now with system bindings etc so you can get your foot back in quickly!
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-22-2014, 7:35 AM Reply   
Yhea I am in the list of old skoolers that had to list my rides as well. Quite crazy. I have also judged hundreds of events so I have been on both sides. I am with Darin shaprio when it comes to judging, I am looking for amplitude and style more than super tech. As far as your kids, just let them do what they want and let them have fun. If they get the bug to compete, they will figure out their run.
Old     (feral)      Join Date: Oct 2011       10-22-2014, 6:16 PM Reply   
thanks all - we are absolutely not pushing them.

I was your average sportsman on all counts - skied, surfed, raced dirt bikes and played all sorts of skool sports without really excelling in any but had fun and still do a lot of them now.

they similarly do all sorts of things and it's about encouraging them to be out there not pushing excellence.

my question arises because they are entering the local comp's, practicing on the tramp board and they want to know what to learn (I have also entered the last few comp's in a contra with my son). I am not the fattest in the class but am definitely the oldest so the more points I can get to put the young bucks back in their place the better......

last night they read through the INT stuff on their ipads and it gave them sum really good info about terms and likely scores, even though I believe the scoring here is more like what L W described above (local coach will help them here).

that said if anyone wants to sponsor 8yo wakeboarding twins I am very happy to sell out of my accounting firm and live off their earnings (accountant would make a good "manager")

cheers.

Last edited by feral; 10-22-2014 at 6:22 PM. Reason: d