Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 17, 2004

Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       12-05-2003, 10:51 AM Reply   
I think I am going to use CLDs in my new tower system and it seems some of you guys have quite a bit of knowledge when it comes to these kind of set ups. My question is what is the deal with the different shape / size horns? I see some of you are using horns that have a square mouth, some that have a rectangular mouth, and some of you are using Image Dynamics CLDs that have assymetrical horns. What would you define the optimal horn size and shape to be?

Thanks,
Worm!
Old    tabiggs            12-18-2003, 8:27 AM Reply   
Worm,

Any shape should do, just get something that is durable . I used the Image Dynamics- they are sweet but of course i am biased- The difference is very noticable when comparing to a regular tweater...
Old    deltahoosier            12-18-2003, 9:06 AM Reply   
The reason for the shape of the horn is to control Dispersion. Car tweeters for instance are designed to be listened too at around 1 ft or so. Horn Loaded speakers are designed to be heard at more of a distance. The image dynamic horns are good, but, I am not sure you are not paying too much money for the wrong application. The horn is made to mount under a dash board of a car and control the dispersion in such a way that the sound stage in the car is optimum. Basically propigation of waves through a smaller opening with have higher dispersion (spreading) than that of a larger opening.

(Message edited by deltahoosier on December 18, 2003)
Old     (ofwc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       12-18-2003, 10:49 AM Reply   
Look at PA speakers. Most have a rectangular horn with the widest portion aligned horizontally. I suspect the horn width is most often restricted by the overall cabinet size and configuration.

That said, I keep going back to the Electro-Voice SX-80pi as potentially the best ready-made tower speaker, assuming you have some fabrication skills. It weather-resistant and it is designed to be flown, but the bracket is a bit flimsy for tower use.

I think three of these in an array run parallel in mono would ROCK! About $900 + hardware. Just my $.02.
Old    tabiggs            12-18-2003, 12:46 PM Reply   
Rod, I agree but the image dynamics are so loud from any angle that we went for the space and dimensions regarding the fabricating specs we needed for the tower... I really think any decent horn will SCREAM in comparision to a tweeter in an outdoor setting with the right power..
Old    deltahoosier            12-18-2003, 12:55 PM Reply   
Texas,

Exactly. That is what I originally wanted to do for my boat, but, decided not to hassle with it. I bet your system rocks.
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-19-2003, 7:57 AM Reply   
Worm,
I took a lot of time deciding on my HLCD's and the shape of the horn itself. If you are asking "Why the different shapes" then as mentioned already, it is to provide the different dispersion that your application requires.
However, how it fits into you mounting space is also an issue. The compression dirver itself may be larger then you think. Mine are about 4 in. diameter and very heavy.
So, Where you want the sound to go, space in the enclosure and on tower, and the looks are all the key points for the Horn selection IMO.
If you don't like the appearance of a rectangular horn front near your round woofers, you could color the horns the same as the adjacent area to minimize the contrast.
Just a little tease for some of you wanting to go this route. With all the hoopla after posting my stuff in July, I've been working on putting something together that is even better. I'm just about done with a very nice unit with Polished Chrome Cans, 2 Pro Audio 8's and a HLCDriver. Stay tuned, I should be done by New Years. Yes you can get a pair...I think you guys will be surprised.
Good luck
Old    tabiggs            12-19-2003, 8:18 AM Reply   
Duane, Please take down my email address, i am interested in adding more to our tower... Please email me with you have pics and specs..

Thanks

Tom@Biggs.net
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-19-2003, 8:26 AM Reply   
Tom,
No problem. Way cool Tsunami! Your pic of the wake while wakeboarding is phenomenal I first saw your stuff through Grant. Awesome!
Off to Disco Bay for the weekend. Happy Holidays everyone.