Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (colin2857)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-05-2020, 1:42 PM Reply   
Anyone have any experience weighting down a Ski Nautique 2001 for wakeboarding? It’s a 1985, I just picked it up 2 weeks ago, and we are about to order some sacks for it. We are also going to try and arrange the sacks for surfing every now and then. Thanks!
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-06-2020, 3:01 AM Reply   
There used to be a 2001-specific site but a few years ago it was hacked and all of the information was lost. I had an 83 and it was probably my favorite wakeboard wake. I’m not talented enough to take advantage of a larger wake and I liked how narrow it was compared to my Super Sport or 230. I had 2 x 800lb bags that I put on either side of the engine. That wake is already steep. Putting weight further back didn’t improve it at all IMHO. The 800lb bags were way too big for the space available so they probably only got about 2/3 full. You don’t need a ton of weight in that boat because of how small it is. At what I was running I still had to be careful driving so I wouldn’t take water over the bow or over the stern when stopping.

To surf I put both bags behind the engine and ran with a surf gate. That almost put the rubrail in the water while running so be careful. Even with that the surf wave is awful. My daughter could surf ropeless pretty easily but it was a struggle for the adults.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-06-2020, 3:37 AM Reply   
60/40 ratio. 60% being in the rear. Too much rear makes a steep wake while bow weight will help mellow it out.
Old     (rlwagens)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-06-2020, 4:39 AM Reply   
Make sure you have an extended pylon, that’s gonna add more than any amount of weight.

I remember behind our barefooter (steeper wake) we tried to ride with driver, observer, person on each side of engine box, and one in stern of boat sitting on floor/back against engine box. 60ft sub 20mph working up to 65’ 22-23mph when technique got better and you can learn basic inverts pretty easily.

If you add weight 60/40 rule doesn’t really apply to these boats. Like hal said, 800# on either side of motor box as far forward as possible was gold standard, but I never saw anyone get any of those bags all the way full, a full set of 440s or ~500s would do it and then whatever lead you can get in the bow if you wanna surf with a suck gate. Kids can surf easily, adults you gotta have just the right board and use prop rotation to your advantage.
Old     (colin2857)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-06-2020, 5:51 AM Reply   
I feel like ive heard most people weighing down each side of the engine. So many mixed opinions is making it hard haha. We’ve got a pole, but we’re also about to get a tower. Honestly I just want the best wake possible to ride consistently at, without killing the floors/transmission. I’m a really experienced park rider, and a decent boat rider. Just want to up my boat game this summer, it’s my first boat I’ve owned. Also, ya we want to surf every now and then. We rode without any weight just me and my wife and it was a super nice wake, I just want to get it more boosty ��.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-06-2020, 7:14 AM Reply   
super fun wake. grab a couple 500's to play with.

my buddy had his subs and I think a steel plate up front for weight. also used concrete wrapped in trash bags in an older boat. you probably don't want water weight up there although a triangle sac might work.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-07-2020, 7:48 AM Reply   
I had an 88 and I absolutely loved the wake. (I miss that boat a lot. It was perfect).

two 500 lb sacks, one on either side of the engine, will be fine to start out with. I recommend buying some used 20 lb weights and keeping some in the bow and play around with them. In general the more weight you have in the bow the less abrupt the wake will be. If you want to add more weight than that it can be problematic as it is easier to put more weight near the rear of the boat than up front. You can make a simple spacer out of wood to keep the rear sack up against the back of the engine compartment. Then you can put a sack in front of the engine compartment too.

As for surfing my best advice is to get a wake gate. It looks like there's a great deal on one in another thread right now. That's going to matter so much more for surfing than weight placement.

There are a few key things with the 2001's that you should be aware of (if you already are then please ignore this.)

You may need to get a better propeller. The size and pitch of the propeller can make a big difference in pulling a lot of weight. The previous owner may have picked up a better prop. You should ask him/her.

The original stringers of the 2001s are made of wood and have to be replaced. If yours have never been replaced then prepare yourself for a heck of a job. You may be able to get away with it for a while but it will almost certainly need to be done at some point. It is doable though. I didn't replace mine despite some obvious soft spots on the floor and eventually a big section of the gel coat on the bottom delaminated which then made for more work. I sold it to my best friend and he did all the stinger/floor replacement and repairing the gel coat. I can put you in touch with him if you want/need. Again, if it hasn't been done this will need to happen. Especially if you plan to use the boat a lot. My boat was always in Arizona where it is very dry and it still needed to be done.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-07-2020, 8:01 AM Reply   
Oh, and check your manifolds and risers. If you can see streaks from them then you will probably need to replace the gaskets on them. This isn't too bad of a job.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       05-11-2020, 4:42 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal2814 View Post
There used to be a 2001-specific site but a few years ago it was hacked and all of the information was lost. I had an 83 and it was probably my favorite wakeboard wake. I’m not talented enough to take advantage of a larger wake and I liked how narrow it was compared to my Super Sport or 230. I had 2 x 800lb bags that I put on either side of the engine. That wake is already steep. Putting weight further back didn’t improve it at all IMHO. The 800lb bags were way too big for the space available so they probably only got about 2/3 full. You don’t need a ton of weight in that boat because of how small it is. At what I was running I still had to be careful driving so I wouldn’t take water over the bow or over the stern when stopping.

To surf I put both bags behind the engine and ran with a surf gate. That almost put the rubrail in the water while running so be careful. Even with that the surf wave is awful. My daughter could surf ropeless pretty easily but it was a struggle for the adults.
I read this and my soul died a little. I'm so sorry, still, that this happened and I couldn't restore it.

600LB bag in the back, a 300LB bag on either side of the engine cover, and 250lb (arguably more) or so in the bow where the battery box is, was the best performance we ever got out of our 2 1986' 2001's. It's one of my favorite wakes ever too. Easily comparable with the Super Sport/210 hull. Absolutely excellent machine.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       05-11-2020, 5:01 AM Reply   
500-600 lbs I meant to say, in back. That bag up front cannot be under-estimated - it makes a huge difference.
This is the dialed-in combination around which I built the enclosuresand the rest of the hard-wired stuff we put in ours.
I can't stress enough how important the weight up front is, on the 82-89 Ski Nautique hull.
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       05-11-2020, 6:05 AM Reply   
I had 2 540's in mine, and always kept a 100lbs tractor weight in the bow.
Wicked little boats they are! Bought mine with 1500 hours, sold it with 3000 a couple years ago. Just rode behind it again recently, still running strong. Had to laugh at the tiny wake, rode it without any ballast and just 1 person in it
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-11-2020, 10:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniorhawk View Post
I read this and my soul died a little. I'm so sorry, still, that this happened and I couldn't restore it.
It’s not your fault. That happened to a lot of forums and blogs at the time. What happened was terrible and I’m so sorry for everyone who put the time and effort into making that site what it was. Thank you. We can now say the SN2001 was such an iconic boat it maintained its own active forum even if only for a brief moment in time. NO other boat can claim that and no other boat likely ever will.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       05-12-2020, 1:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
It’s not your fault. That happened to a lot of forums and blogs at the time. What happened was terrible and I’m so sorry for everyone who put the time and effort into making that site what it was. Thank you. We can now say the SN2001 was such an iconic boat it maintained its own active forum even if only for a brief moment in time. NO other boat can claim that and no other boat likely ever will.
In a sense it's my fault. The hack that occurred wasn't easily reversible and was basically done with the most malicious intent possible. I cleaned up something like 10 of 20,000 threads and it took me an hour. I couldn't afford to pay someone to reverse the damage. At the time I was also writing for FUEL.tv and running an different blog too. I still feel crumby almost every day for not being able to restore the site to the awesome community it served. I'll always feel sorry for this and all I can say is that I appreciate the kindness of the community and for people like you who supported the site. I mean that.
Old     (sppeders)      Join Date: Jul 2011       05-12-2020, 5:59 AM Reply   
Oh man, I love the older boats with character.

The 2001's i've ridden as well as my old stars/stripes we put a 1100 lbs sack in the back, and a 800 under the bow if i remember correct. 60/40 split as much as possible. likely not the full 1100 filled, and the 800 didn't either due to room under the hood.

wakes were so much fun.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       05-13-2020, 3:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sppeders View Post
Oh man, I love the older boats with character.

The 2001's i've ridden as well as my old stars/stripes we put a 1100 lbs sack in the back, and a 800 under the bow if i remember correct. 60/40 split as much as possible. likely not the full 1100 filled, and the 800 didn't either due to room under the hood.

wakes were so much fun.
I find them so attractive. They're more classic than hell, and as time goes on they're still one of the best boats available, period. I advise people still to only put Flight Control Towers on them, if they have to have a tower. But people still get Monster and others. Whatever - It's their choice.
IMHO the most gorgeous year/type is this:
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-13-2020, 5:46 AM Reply   
Those are probably two different years. 82-84 was mostly the same but 84 had the solid side windows like on bottom while the 82-83 had the vent like in the top pic. I’ve seen the vented side windows get replaced with solid though. I’m partial to the 83 myself but I’m biased since it’s what I had. I was also team brown. The air intake vents are what really makes that era of 2001 in my opinion. I’ve always been jealous of the 85+ observers seat though. I hated the flip forward ones. If I had to slide them out for something they were a real pain to slide back in.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-13-2020, 6:16 AM Reply   
Here was my 88. I also absolutely love the looks of 2001s.
Attached Images

Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-13-2020, 6:23 AM Reply   
beautiful timeless design! Hull was ahead of it's time as well.

I learned to ride behind my friends 88 or 89 2001. so many good memories behind that boat. another friend bought a knock off 2001, not a hydrodyne or brendella. but it threw a good wake as well.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-13-2020, 6:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshugan View Post
Here was my 88. I also absolutely love the looks of 2001s.
cool rig!!

what year did split windshield start?

we used to make our chubby friend sit on the bow in front the windshield!! wake was perfect with 300lbs up front!
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-13-2020, 6:36 AM Reply   
I think the windshield split in 1987 and they upgraded the dash in late 87. In 89 they went back to a single piece windshield.
Old     (arizonarider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-14-2020, 11:42 AM Reply   
We had an 85 just like yours, and absolutely loved it! We have a v208 Supreme now and I still miss how lippy the nautique wake was with weight in it. I agree with what everyone has said, we always went out with 5 people, 2 sacks on each side of the engine compartment, a bag in the back and if you can get throw a some lead up from along with subwoofer, amps, gear whatever you can for some weight up there and have a good time! I wish it could have had the flight control tower but I picked it up with the monster tower already, still was a great looking boat in my opinion!
Attached Images

Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       05-15-2020, 3:35 AM Reply   
My ex '85.
Aren't new boats just hideous..?! Less = more.
Attached Images

Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-15-2020, 3:38 AM Reply   
Since we’re showing them off, this was in my Timehop today. It’s my former 83 being pulled by my Wrangler.
Attached Images

Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-28-2020, 1:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Since we’re showing them off, this was in my Timehop today. It’s my former 83 being pulled by my Wrangler.
back when you didn't need a 3/4 ton diesel to pull a wake boat. good times!

these days you need a 50K truck to pull to your 80K boat.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-29-2020, 4:23 AM Reply   
Such a fun old-school wake. A 500 on each side of the motor and let her rip. May need to ride a little shorter, but I've had some fun on that wake.
Old     (colin2857)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-02-2020, 8:59 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the replies guys.. I put 200 lb in the front, 200 lb on each side of the motor, and 800 lb in the back and it is super fun! Anyone know of a good Wakesurf weight configuration for it? Didn’t have much luck with that. I put an 800 lb in the back and 450 lb on the back left side. Also does anyone know what fuel type to use in that boat, and the fuel capacity? I’ve been using premium, but I’d rather use unleaded if possible... it’s eating up my wallet!! Thanks