Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (dmorrison22)      Join Date: Oct 2008       09-24-2014, 11:01 AM Reply   
Looking at a Mastercraft X2, a Malibu VLX and an Air Nautique 210...which has the best wake?
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       09-24-2014, 11:07 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmorrison22 View Post
Looking at a Mastercraft X2, a Malibu VLX and an Air Nautique 210...which has the best wake?
What years? Budget? Big factors...
Old     (kx250frider617)      Join Date: Aug 2013       09-24-2014, 11:14 AM Reply   
I have a a22 so it's similar to the VLX hull. With wedge and PNP ballast, the wake is very respectable. Big and not overly steep. Now when you pull the wedge up and add more weight into the cabin, it turns into a pro level size wake. I'm running right around 5000lbs with the LS3 and high alt prop and the wake is just insane.

However, with just factory ballast and wedge, you'll have plenty of wake behind the boat. I've noticed that these flatter hulls are very versatile and can by adjusted for any kind of wake. If you want a mellow wake, keep the ballast more equal from front to back, of you want it steep, and more weight to the rear.

My only other expirence was with a 01' tige 21v. That boat sucked with ballast. No matter the weight configuration, the wake was always washed out until 23-24mph. No ballast was fine. That boat kindnof scared me away from boats with a known steep wake.
Old     (TC_Mastercraf_X5)      Join Date: Feb 2013       09-24-2014, 11:39 AM Reply   
Depends on they year of X2. The non pickle fork X2 has a extremely poor wakesurf wake. I have an 06 VLX and the wake is great, but you have to add alot of weight to get it to that point. The other boat i ride behind is a late 2000s 210. I love this wake as you can get a great narrow wake at slower speeds. If i didnt have a fiance that wanted to have the room of a VLX I would have gone with a 210 hands down.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-24-2014, 11:51 AM Reply   
I prefer the VLX (I had one 2009-2013). The wake is friendly, very adjustable and will send you to the moon when it is dialed in. The X2 and the 210 are very tricky side to side. Balanced and dialed they are great wakes too.

I wouldn't turn down a ride behind any of them. Come to think of it, I don't think I have ever turned down a ride so the previous statement really means nothing.
Old     (willyt)      Join Date: May 2010       09-24-2014, 12:15 PM Reply   
im an MC guy, and the x2 would be last in the list as far as wakeboard wake. great surf wake though.

210 and VLX wakes are kindofffff similar... malibu has a longer transition and is a little wider. if you slam either one, they're great
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-24-2014, 2:07 PM Reply   
as mentioned, if it's the newer, wide bow X2, then I'd avoid that one.

If we are talking older boats, the X2 and VLX would top my list. The wakes are similar, however the MC wake is a tad more finicky that that of the Malibu. Also, assuming the Malibu has the wedge, you can change the shape of the wake in seconds without using pumps and bags.
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-25-2014, 6:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
im an MC guy, and the x2 would be last in the list as far as wakeboard wake. great surf wake though.
The older x2 has a better wakeboard wake but not as good of a surf wake. I however love my 07. Its extremely roomy for a 20' boat. We normally ride 4-6 people though. If you are taking out 8 it could prob get a lil cramped.

Here is the surf wake with 600's on top of the hard tanks evenly weighted and 500 up front and a wake shaper. Needs alot more weight up front but you get the idea. Very decent surf wake for a 20'.

As for the wake being finicky I wouldn't overblow that. With 6 people in the boat and 2000+ Ive never had issues. I'll see if I can dig up some wake pictures but most I have are with people through the wake. One thing I really like about the boat is it cleans up nicely with no ballast at lower speeds. Helps with the kids and my wife. The 210 is going to have a much peakier more aggressive wake over the vlx and x2 though. They are just completely different. I would consider the x2 a middle ground between the 3 boats. I do however find the x2 to feel the roomiest out of those 3. If you are talking the pre 06 x2 its going to be a great wakeboard boat, that is much smaller feeling inside, and lacks the better surf wake of the 06+.

Also the 06 and 07 are all analog. I personally love this because I'm not worried about screens etc.

Last edited by williamburell; 09-25-2014 at 6:55 AM.
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-25-2014, 10:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyt View Post
210 and VLX wakes are kindofffff similar... malibu has a longer transition and is a little wider. if you slam either one, they're great
Sorry but I've spent extensive time on each and the wake are nowhere near similar, not even a little bit. 210 is narrow and VERY aggressive where as the VLX is wide and mellow with its transition. The 210 wake will throw you around with the little weight in the boat.
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-25-2014, 10:42 AM Reply   
agree 100%. The wakes could not be further apart from each other. 210 is a kneebreaker while the vlx is way more mellow
Old     (Indyxc)      Join Date: Jul 2011       09-25-2014, 10:44 AM Reply   
The new X2 gets a lot of negativity about its wake, but it's only if you like steep wake.

The wake stock, is mellow, very nice transition, and clean. Add some weight, and its the same, but bigger. I like it a lot. You never feel like you are hitting a curb.
Old     (willyt)      Join Date: May 2010       09-25-2014, 10:53 AM Reply   
yeah... i ride both those boats alot too, both with over 4k in them. trust me, when pissslammed like that, they're similar
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-25-2014, 11:24 AM Reply   
What year x2? I can see you saying something like that on a pre 06 but I own an 07 and couldn't disagree more. I've weighted mine until it couldn't even think about planing and have never seen a 210 like wake out of mine. The 205v hull x2 can produce a nice wake that is much steeper but the pickles stand no chance.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-25-2014, 4:59 PM Reply   
I have ridden these boats a bit and from mellow to steep I rank them
Vlx -> X2 -> Sanger V210 -> SAN 210.

Running cost and amount of ballast required to jack the wake pretty much in the same order, vlx expensive heavy, 210 cheap light.

All great boats imo
Old     (bschall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-26-2014, 1:10 PM Reply   
I have a 02 san 210 now and grew up riding an 05 vlx

san 210 is def going to be the steepest and biggest I absolutely love the pop I get but the deep troughs can make landing a little rough. Different weight setups result in different shapes and I actually prefer the steep wake. People ride behind my boat and absolutely love it.

The VLX is roomier inside and also has a great wake with nice lip when using the wedge. This boat loaded down has an awesome wake but the gas bill can get a bit pricey compared to the 210.

Being in SF Sanger v215 are great boats and will pop up in the Bay Area craigslist in the low 20s if you watch for them. These boats have great wakes that can get big with enough weight. They handle really well and the roominess basically bridges the gap from the 210 to the vlx. fit and finish is just behind the nautique and Bu imo but still a Great boat in the end.
Old     (TC_Mastercraf_X5)      Join Date: Feb 2013       09-26-2014, 1:53 PM Reply   
I would agree that the VLX is definitely thirstier than the 210. I have the HH motor in mine which doesnt help my cause, but you can throw an alternative prop on which "kind of" helps. Both GREAT boats though!
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       09-26-2014, 1:56 PM Reply   
the vlx doesnt even need weight really to throw a great wake. and it surfs the best of those 3
Old     (santa)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-27-2014, 4:05 AM Reply   
I've had experience with all three:

- VLX: best overall. Very versatile, can get any size/shape wake if you know how to tune it. Largest landing area too.

- 210: used to own a 2009. Great vert, however hard to get a rampy wake, and has small landing area.

- X2: On our lake it's the official boat of all douchebags.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-27-2014, 2:06 PM Reply   
The X2 (07 and newer pickle fork hull) would be my last choice. You can get a good wake out of them, but it does the weirdest thing like right at 65ft where it curves out and gets extremely wide. Like for every 2ft of rope past 65 it feels like it gets 6-7 feet wider. It is very hard to clear the wakes with a rope past 65ft. And I typically ride a long rope 75-78 depending on boat and setup.

If you look at the wake from the boat it's like a straight "V" shaped wake (like a 205V hull) all the way to 65ft and them it turns into a outward curved shape ) ( and gets uncomfortably wide.

MCs last good wake was the previous Xstar.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-28-2014, 7:29 AM Reply   
Without knowing what year x2 most of theses posts will never give you a true comparison. There is a huge difference in wakeboard wakes from the newe pickle fork X2 to the Old 205v hull X2

The VLX has the most room and storage out of all the boats. It is massive inside by those standards of its 205v/x2 and 210 counterparts of those years. The wakes are super rampy and clean . The downside is that the VLX will sip the most gas as you really need to weight it heavy. If you use the wedge you can even add more consumption. It handles the worst out of the 3( not that the handling is garbage, it's just nowhere near the 205v/x2 or 210 hulls.

The 210 has the steepest wake of all 3. It's inasane. It also requires te least amount of ballast to get the wakes macking. It's wake is the narrowest so I find always adding 5ft to my normal length is optimal. The 210 is super tight inside with next to zero storage. It will sip the least gas.

The 205v/x2 non pickle fork will be the best blend of the 210 and the VLX. The wakes can really be tweaked to peaky or to little more ramp with where you place your weight. The storage is plentiful for the space you get. Especially if you remove the factory rear tanks. It's almost twice what the 210 offers of those years. It's takes some weight to get the wakes macking , but the boat still drives like a sports car even when weighted

A pickle fork x2 has no where near the wakeboard wake of any of those 3. It drives awful even worse than the VLX when weighted as it has no tracking fins. A strong rider can pull the boat and the driver will need to make corrections a ton when weighted up. The pickle x2 is gonna have just a touch more vert to the wake than the VLX but it just does not get huge. It will surf better than both the 210 and non pickle version, but equal to the VLX . The pickle x2 also has almost the same storage in a 20ft'r as the VLX.

Make your choice. All are capable boats , just decide what's most important to you. Personally I out 1200 hrs on a 205v hul version and never looked back It was the perfect blend of everything for me. I would have never needed an upgrade if I didn't need more space. It's wakeboard wakes are dam near perfect for my taste and still compete with the boats today. I absolutely loved the wakeboard wake of the early pre 07 210. My fav of all time. It's sends you flying. The lack of storage killed it for me in those early 2000 years.

Last edited by xstarrider; 09-28-2014 at 7:35 AM.
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-28-2014, 9:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyt View Post
yeah... i ride both those boats alot too, both with over 4k in them. trust me, when pissslammed like that, they're similar
I own one of those boats and my riding buddy of 10+ years has had two VLXs and trust me, when pisslammed like that, they're not even a little bit similar.
Old     (brian_young)      Join Date: Dec 2003       09-28-2014, 7:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan View Post
I own one of those boats and my riding buddy of 10+ years has had two VLXs and trust me, when pisslammed like that, they're not even a little bit similar.
Agree with Logan.