Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-21-2010, 9:39 AM Reply   
Looking to buy a new diesel F250. Work is going to be paying a large portion of my payment. Anyone out there have time on one of these trucks yet? So far they look and drive very nice. Power like u wouldn't believe. Made a F150 with the 5.4 seem like a dog.
Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-21-2010, 4:59 PM Reply   
Im a Ford guy, and the 5.4l is/was a dog.
not as bad as my f150 with 3.55 and a 4.6l though. What were they thinking
Old     (kenv)      Join Date: May 2002       11-22-2010, 11:29 AM Reply   
Shawn...I went from an '06 6.0 to the 2011 6.7 and all I can say is A step up in every way. Comfort, looks, power, better mileage, bad a*& camera, Nav system, I can use my regular phone charger in the plug as opposed to the cig lighter crap, quiet, less smell....on and on.
Old     (bawshogg)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-23-2010, 7:13 AM Reply   
I have a a little bit of seat time in the new superdutys. I wil say they are damn nice trucks. The 6.7 is a power house to say the least, and the new Torqueshift 6 is pretty slick 2. There is alot going on in the cab thoughm tons of bells and whistles, sceens, knobs, truck apps. ect. This aint the workhorse of old by any means. As far as how durable or how well they are going to do reliability wise, it's too early to tell. One thing i do know is these trucks will also NOT put up with lack of maintenece. If you think you are gonna run it 5-7k miles past it's oil change intervals, forget to change your fuel filters, or not add the DEF when it want's it, you will be calling a tow truck. They will shut down and go into limited power mode. These trucks are not for the guys that like to skimp on maintenece.
I would agree on the 5.4l. It is a dog box stock. Add a little forced induction, a dash of a custom tune and a pinch of premium fuel and you will have a little bit of a beast, on a pretty damn reliable package. I have one that puts out 500hp and 550 ft lbs. Tows great for my needs.
Old     (snwmot)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-23-2010, 8:56 AM Reply   
look up repairs for the 2011 any in depth motor or trans. work requires a minimum of 12 hrs. labor the reason is because you literally have to remove the cab from the body before work can begin yes i know it sounds insane but thats what theyve been doing i think ford did it to try and keep customers coming to the dealerships for repairs all in all it's pretty rediculous if you ask me.
Old     (bawshogg)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-23-2010, 9:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by snwmot View Post
look up repairs for the 2011 any in depth motor or trans. work requires a minimum of 12 hrs. labor the reason is because you literally have to remove the cab from the body before work can begin yes i know it sounds insane but thats what theyve been doing i think ford did it to try and keep customers coming to the dealerships for repairs all in all it's pretty rediculous if you ask me.
I would have to disagree with ya there. The previous version, ie: 6.4l was cab off for most repairs. Ford engineers tried to get away from that on the 6.7l. As far as we know at this point the only operation that requires cab removeal on the 6.7l is engine r&r. everthing else is supossed to be able to be completed cab on. Transmission is definetly NOT a cab off job. Things are becoming way more complex these days. They don't design them with the purpose of keeping people servicing them at the dealer, it is just that without factory support for the complex systems the aftermarket repair shops will struggle to keep up. It's more of an effect of technology rather than a design bulletpoint.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       11-23-2010, 9:21 AM Reply   
scott,

You do not have to remove the cab to work on the 2011 diesels for most of the problems. That is the 2008-2010 with the 6.4, as the cab needed to be removed for a lot of the work. Plus the 6.4 had some relaibility issues. The 2011 are an all new completely re designed truck. New engine 6.7 diesel and new tranny. Also, new interior, new front end, etc. And the new engine has been tested a ton before being released. So all of us ford guys are hoping that the new motor proves to be solid.

Shawn, I have a 2011 F250 4x4 crew cab short bed. Pre ordered it. So have had it for about 7 months. I love the truck. I have had a 2005 6.0 and a 2000 7.3. All crew cab short bed 4x4. This is by far the best by a mile. I have always done a ton of diesel performance mods to the old ones. But stock the new motor has a ton of power and is very smooth. It pulls hard. Doesn’t even know a boat is back there when towing. The new interior is great. Heated and cooled seats, that are wider and more comfy. Better dash layout. True captains with a real console. Interior feels more SUV like than a truck which is what the super duties have lacked until now.

I have big plans for the truck in terms of lift and wheels and tires etc…it is going to be blacked out. I have already added an RBP grille and stripped the chrome and painted it all to match. But for now it rides awesome. I know I am about to probably change that. But the lift I have planned is supossed to ride really good on road and be smooth. Truck Toyz that we work with has told me the 2011 they have done so far are the best riding lifted trucks ever. And they do a ton of trucks.

But overall I am very happy with the truck.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (summerobsession)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-23-2010, 9:40 AM Reply   
Tim:

Marty at Truck Toyz know his stuff doesn't he? He sent me all the stuff to lift my 06 F-350 Harley edition in 06. Turned out great.
I just wish I was closer to their shop and I would have them do all my stuff.

As far as the '11 Fords, there are a ton of them out here in west Kansas, and so far I have not heard a bad word.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       11-23-2010, 10:05 AM Reply   
John,

Cool, Yeah Marty is great. He did my last truck with around 12 inches of lift with 40's on 22's. New truck is getting 8 inches with 38's on 24's. So not quite as tall but more sinister looking. Doing the BMF Wheels M-80's. Marty has spec'd the lift as well. Doing an Icon Off Road lift. My last truck never had a single issue with the lift ever. He is about a 5 hour drive for me but I wont let anyone else touch my trucks. Its worth the drive

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-23-2010, 2:25 PM Reply   
More than you ever wanted to know about the truck between these 2 articles:
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/11...e-rockies.html

http://special-reports.pickuptrucks....-shootout.html
Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-23-2010, 8:08 PM Reply   
sorry to hijack......
bawshawg, whats up with the ecoboost in the f150? there is no option for it on fords build site. Its still on slate for 2011?
Old     (bawshogg)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-24-2010, 6:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic1 View Post
sorry to hijack......
bawshawg, whats up with the ecoboost in the f150? there is no option for it on fords build site. Its still on slate for 2011?
They are saying possibly 2nd quarter on the ecoboost. I was taking to the GM's son the other day and he went down to L.A. for the ride and drive. Head to head loaded and unloaded they said it handed the Chevy with the 6.0l and the Dodge(excuse me..Ram) with the Hemi it's walking papers. Should be inetresting also because it is based on the same platform as the Taurus SHO and Flex. There are all ready some pretty good performance tunes out there for those that boost performance quite a bit.

Last edited by bawshogg; 11-24-2010 at 6:39 AM.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-24-2010, 7:11 AM Reply   
Yes its still going into the 2011 and should be released by late winter/early spring. It's completed its endurance test/publicity stunt where it was absolutely hammered on but came through with flying colors. One randomly selected engine was put into a dyno and ran for an equivalent 150K miles which included putting it though tougher than real life tests. It was then put in a truck and sent to Oregon to be used as a log skidder, no sweat. The same truck then was sent to Florida to tow two Nascar race cars (11,300lbs) at full speed around a track for 24 hours, only stopping for tires and fuel. Over 1600 miles with an average speed of 82 MPH. After that it was sent to AZ to kick the competitions ass in a up hill towing competition. Then to top it off the same motor was put into one of our Raptors and used to race in the Baja 1000 which it completed.

The challenge is completed but all the videos aren't up http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/experiencef150/

Again the same engine was used the entire time and the truck was driven from test to test.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-24-2010, 7:22 AM Reply   
That F150 with the Ecoboost is a godsend for those of us with wake boats. I think that would be the way to go if you weren't planning on getting a fifth wheel and just wanted a half ton truck that can really pull.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-24-2010, 10:21 AM Reply   
I'm already eyeing the Eco-boost. I think it's a great idea and a long time coming. My next truck will be that, or the new Super Duty.

That said.... It kind of got my attention when Chevy showed a fully loaded crew cab hybrid. I'd like to see some performance numbers for that vehicle, too.

They days of full sized pick-ups that get crappy mileage are coming to an end. I think it's great.
Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-24-2010, 12:05 PM Reply   
Second hijack. What the heck do the 1/2 3/4 1 ton names mean? Its not curb weight, or payload. Is it some cary over from back in the day?
Old     (bawshogg)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-24-2010, 3:09 PM Reply   
They mean nothing anymore. Those are from the days of old.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-25-2010, 7:39 AM Reply   
Well they do still indicate duty grade just not accurately. They use to mean the trucks payload but nowadays you can get an F150 that can capacitate a ton.
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-28-2010, 9:14 PM Reply   
I'm getting closer on purchasing a new truck. One more question... I see Ford offers a $1,000 rebate if you use their financing. Is it possible to finance the truck under Ford, then just roll it over to a local credit union? Ford wants 6.99% and every credit union around here is 3.99%.

Thanks!
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-30-2010, 6:39 AM Reply   
Shawn, yes you can do that and just about any CU will recognize it as a new car so you can still get their new car rates.