Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 24, 2009

Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-13-2009, 9:04 PM Reply   
So stoked. Due end of feb right for spring summer weather.
Wife is pregnant, due n feb.
We have a couple of hard core riding friends that also will have new borns around that time. I figure long days out on the lake are over. But we tend to get up early ride the go chill a the dock anywas.

What changes have all made who have had little ones recently?
Old     (dkmode34)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-13-2009, 10:07 PM Reply   
Best thing ever.
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-13-2009, 11:47 PM Reply   
^^ agree.. before you know it your little ripper will be your favorite rider.. best place to raise a kid is on the boat.. we started taking both our out at 3 months old.. they LOVE it..
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-14-2009, 6:00 AM Reply   
Yeah, mine is due in late december early jan. Im stoked and nervous at the same time. I want so much for him to have all the riding opportunities that I kinda missed out on when I was younger. The crews I ride with now dont have any kids - I guess Im going to have to get serious about buying another boat next year or expand out to the family wakeboarding crews!!

Congrats DJ, cool thread - I also would like to know how others have kept going in this sport with such a major change in their lives and more importantly, how to get the lil ripper motivated to ride as young as possible!!
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-14-2009, 6:07 AM Reply   
For those that don't know, Ted desperately wants his lil one to beat parks world record
Old     (joecs)      Join Date: Oct 2008       09-14-2009, 6:24 AM Reply   
My wife and I are due next week. Scared to death! LOL! Hope she likes it on the water. She will be out next spring!
Old     (andrewjet)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-14-2009, 7:24 AM Reply   
OK dude..heres the truth. From about her 6th month, wakeboarding is on the shelf for about a year or so. Untill he gets to 6-9 months old she will say..hes to young. When my son LIL Andrew was born, I wanted to go out so bad and I couldn't so I painted my holly carb maroon to match the carpet..yes I was bored and wanted to get on the lake. About 6 coats of paint all baked in the oven, she kept looking at me like I was crazy. LOL! BUT! The first time he got up on the tube (age 3) I cried while pulling him around the Vine (local lake). And then a couple of weeks ago we went to Broken Bow, OK. It was our second trip there (you got to go there)**oops secret spot**he was carving up the lake and my heart sunk once again. Now my 11 year old Halle and 7 year old Jack are also tearing up the lake. Once at the vine again my family drove to the lake to meet some other boat friends (who bailed on us)and a storm was approching as we sat on the ramp and it was down pore I looked at my wife and said should we go home..and she said "no lets just stay and ride" so with rain dripping off my kids noses we rode for a couple of hrs with scary clouds up above and had the best time. We are the wakeboarding family now..and I love it. Enjoy your kids

p.s. other times..taking the fam is a ass woopin! LOL!Upload
Old     (bboozer)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-14-2009, 7:48 AM Reply   
Well, from my experience (my daughter was born Oct 27 of '08) it has been fun but a different experience for sure. My wife went out on the boat every weekend in the 100 temps pregnant until her last 2 months (but that is when we usually end the year anyway).... Whitney was 6 1/2 months old when we went out the 1st time (we did get a little of a late start this year for other family reasons. But, she has loved being on the boat... I started putting a life jacket on her when she was just a few weeks old in the house so that she would get used to wearing it. She has never really complained about the life jacket. I did buy a new one from Walmart it is a Stearns and it has a rear zipper and a lower cut in the front. Her 1st one was a front zip and it rode up and looked uncomfortable..... I highly recommend this jacket and it is only $20 which is a plus. I started getting her used to the water in the bath tub with the jacket on and took her to swim lessons when she was 6 months old... She likes the water and being on the boat. She does get fussy from time to time if we sit still too long I think that she likes the motion and the wind. Now, the bad part. With the little one the days will be shorter, and you will have to work around her schedule. (It has not been bad for us, other than we end up coming in about 4 or 5 in the afternoon, because of her dinner time and she goes to bed at about 8 so I have missed the nice late afternoon butter)....But, the biggest kicker is that you will need a 3rd adult to hold the baby while you ride. And our crew has dwindled over the years and there have been several times this year when I could not ride because we did not have a 3rd adult.... I do not know if some are scared about her crying all the time on the boat or what, but she has been great all summer... We have put about 60-70hrs on the boat this year and I am very happy.... I can't wait til she wants to ride on her own. Probably a few years away from that though.
Old     (nelson)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-14-2009, 7:50 AM Reply   
Congrats on the little one. I just had daughter in July we were out on the lake 5 days after she was born and been heading out at least 4 days a week. Things do change but it is worth it! We ride in the morning come back to the dock hang out for while. She goes down for a nap about 2 and we head out again. Boat works great for putting them to sleep.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-14-2009, 10:17 AM Reply   
Andrew - dig the pic, nice angle.

DeeCee - I honestly think its possible. It could happen behind your boat!
Old     (andrewjet)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-14-2009, 10:43 AM Reply   
ha ha ha..yeah! Thats my 38 year old wife after 2- kids. Im damn lucky! Actually it was a plan! LOL! Jet
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-14-2009, 5:51 PM Reply   
I have twin 10 month old boys and didn't bring them out this summer at all, grandparents baby sat or I just went with friends. Also have a 5 year old and 7 year old who go out with us all the time, they also can ski. Get a bimini and leave the babies at home until they're 3 or older is my advice. Too much whining cuts into your ride until they can enjoy themselves and stay out for an extended period. Mom and dad need fun time, too.
Old     (gherk)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-14-2009, 6:42 PM Reply   
Keep your kids, wife, and friends involved in the sport or you may find your riding time cut down. I was in the same situation as you a few years back with all my riding friends having kids. Then all the kids started trying other sports, friends and wives got less interested in riding, and now I struggle to find a second or third sometimes. Life gets in the way. Work, spouse, kids, outside family, kids birthday parties, the list goes on.
Old     (dkmode34)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-14-2009, 11:03 PM Reply   
I cant wait till my son Jackson starts ridin. My lil cousin who my wife and I have pretty much raised absolutely rips on a skateboard at age 6. He is unreal. I want to get him on a wakeboard but I don't have a boat. This kid is going to be riding pro some day very soon. He is fearless. Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-15-2009, 12:22 AM Reply   
well, I am lucky in that I have a dock at my house. so it will be pretty easy to do short runs. We hardly ever do the whole day on the boat thing anyways. Im glad to know some of you get them started real early. I take it tho, you go slow over rollers, even if your pulling a rider? even in my 23' boat, I sometimes get slammed on a roller.

ill also keep the carpet out of the boat for a while I image, till there 18 or so ;)
Old     (bboozer)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-15-2009, 7:55 AM Reply   
Mine is fine at 10 months with the rollers... We were hitting double ups this past weekend and she was fine...Even slept through some.... You will really have to just see how yours does. Go out with low expectations and then if the baby does well, then you can plan for more... Definitely 2 thumbs up on the bimini and plenty of sunblock... our Malibu bimini is not the largest and the shade is always moving so we have to shift to keep her in the shade.
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       09-15-2009, 9:07 AM Reply   
We had my boy out on the boat when he was two months old... this is the easy age. They will sleep 90% of the time. My nephew started at three months (he is 4 months now). He sleeps most of the time also.

My boy is now about a year and a half... he now wants to drive the boat, play with the radio, play with the switches and hates his jacket. He loves going out on the water but its definitely more challenging when they are toddlers.

We are on the lake by 6:30 and off by 11, unless we stay somewhere that is waterfront (this is ideal with small kids).
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       09-16-2009, 9:33 AM Reply   
"Keep your kids, wife, and friends involved in the sport or you may find your riding time cut down. I was in the same situation as you a few years back with all my riding friends having kids. Then all the kids started trying other sports, friends and wives got less interested in riding, and now I struggle to find a second or third sometimes. Life gets in the way. Work, spouse, kids, outside family, kids birthday parties, the list goes on."

Echoing Paul:

Do not let your kids get involved with traveling soccer teams, it is the kiss of death for boating. We would take our kids out to our island (Delta) and tell them if they wanted to play soccer they could swim in and find somebody to come and pick them up!

They are still mad at us for forcing them to wakeboard all summer and snowboard all winter.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       09-16-2009, 9:48 AM Reply   
We just had our little girl at the end of August. I think she is going to be a wakeboarding prodigy. At the very last moment she did a flip and decided to come out c-section style(which is way more extreme). Then at 1 week old she was laying on the couch and rolled over(she may have been on a little incline). She is going to be great at getting up for that 4:30AM set.

Life is crazy right now in my house. New baby and I just started my own insurance agency. I am still enjoying every second.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-17-2009, 11:08 PM Reply   
Didn't really change our riding at all. We don't spend the "day" out in the boat. What we did was get one of those bouncers and put it in the floor. Our little ones now 5 and 2 1/2 both laid in there while we were riding and chilled. Mosat of the time sleeping while in pull til we stopped. Just left the bouncer in the walkway right next to the driver. Piece of cake