Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 04, 2009

Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-11-2009, 11:28 AM Reply   
Hate, I'm not worried about the safety of Malco products. I'm just enjoying Sparky's comment about the dangers of water in other products while recommending a product that is 94% water. I love the internet.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-11-2009, 11:45 AM Reply   
I would hate to be with Sparky if he got caught in a rainstorm out on the boat. The whole boat would be destroyed!

Just couldn't resist...
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-11-2009, 12:35 PM Reply   
Man some of you are clueless on here. At least it's a small minority. lol
"So to recap, the water in Armor All damages the vinyl and thread but the water in the Malco product is harmless." Most correct statement you've made so far...
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-12-2009, 10:58 AM Reply   
I'm not saying that people never lie, but the distributor I bought it from said he has been using it on his Baja for over ten years, without a problem. He also mentioned Armor All will definitely dry out your vinyl over time, and the protectant they sell will not. He asked me not to even mention Armor All and his product in the same sentence.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       09-14-2009, 9:16 AM Reply   
Found some of this locally, for $6 it was worth a shot. Stuff worked awesome.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-14-2009, 11:06 AM Reply   
Our dealerships distributor hooked me up big time 1 gallon of cleaner plus a 22oz spray, 1 gallon of PB2 plus 22oz spray, 32oz of leather cleaner and protectant plus a microfiber cloth for $30.
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-14-2009, 2:11 PM Reply   
Dang, that is a big time hook up.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-14-2009, 3:44 PM Reply   
Incidentally the PB-2 is killer stuff tough too. It made the vinyl feel very soft and supple, smelled good and it shined brilliantly. I'm worried about how slick it'll make stuff when its wet though. It reminded me of 303 which I love if it weren't for how slick it makes everything.
Old     (wakesurfredding)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-16-2009, 10:05 AM Reply   
I have had a hard time finding Malco locally in CA... I called the Malco rep, and he said the Presta vinyl and leather cleaner is the same thing (same company?) anyway... it works AWESOME and Norcal Color Supply in Redding has it in stock for like 20 bucks!! Great deal!
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-16-2009, 10:11 AM Reply   
we ordered some online. pulled the front cover off just to try it. couldnt believe what came off. cant wait to actually do the entire boat with it!
Old     (axeman)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-16-2009, 11:44 AM Reply   
Anyone know if this will remove ink (from a pen) off of vinyl?
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-16-2009, 12:40 PM Reply   
Not sure about the pen, but my first use of Malco was bittersweet. I was amazed at the oils and dirt that were on clean vinyl, but it didn't get the black streak that got put a few weeks ago by someone placing a tube and then pulling it off the sundeck. I resorted to using magic eraser on the streak and even that is having a hard time getting it off.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-16-2009, 12:41 PM Reply   
^^ Most streaks/ink will fade over time by the sun..
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-16-2009, 1:00 PM Reply   
I read through this whole thread last week but cant remember what you guys are using after the Malco Leather and Vinyl Cleaner. Which protectant are you using after cleaning the vinyl w/ Malco?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       09-16-2009, 1:46 PM Reply   
I don't use any right after. But use 303 protectant once a month or so. Boat vinyl has UV inhibitors in it, the best thing you can do for your vinyl is keep it clean.

I get spider poop (yes they do, lol) on my seats all the time...this stuff wont get that off. Only thing that works is the sun.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-16-2009, 5:45 PM Reply   
Adam, does the spider poop appear as an 1/8 or slightly bigger yellowish/gold dot? I sometimes see these and have wondered what they were from...

Follow up the Malco cleaning with any good plastic/vinyl protectant that is 100% protectant, NO water!
Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-16-2009, 7:17 PM Reply   
ROFL.. You cant use 303 then since that's water based! Sparky, you are clueless. Top manufacturers moved away from petrochemicals and silicones years ago. You apparently read the memo backwards. Hopefully everyone else in this thread gets their detailing advice from elsewhere.

(Message edited by brainrinse on September 16, 2009)
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-16-2009, 8:51 PM Reply   
Yeah I ain't buying it. Who told you that? Are you an internet chemist? I don't recall it on the MSDS for the product? Did you even bother to read it? And since I was the one who originaly recommended the Malco cleaner, it looks like most are satisfied with my advice!
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-16-2009, 9:14 PM Reply   
"Top manufacturers moved away from petrochemicals and silicones years ago". P&S must not have got the "memo" either. All their top dressing products are, ummm, SILICONE based. You'll notice the more "green" versions are water based, but their best one's are NOT. Care to take another shot? http://www.pssales.com/products/dressings.html
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-16-2009, 9:31 PM Reply   
Spider poops are the hard black tiny spots you see on windows, doorsills, and, well, anywhere else the spider pooped.
Don't ask why I know this but my wife is not a fan of spiders.
Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-16-2009, 9:44 PM Reply   
The malco product is just fine, it's you're theories on the evils of water based products like 303 that are wrong. I'm not going to change your mind, and that's fine. At the end of the day we'll both have clean boat vinyl.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-16-2009, 9:48 PM Reply   
Group hug! The important thing is everybody's stuff is shiny and protected.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       09-17-2009, 5:54 AM Reply   
Like Art said, it starts off as black/navy blueish spots. When you scrub on them it leaves a yellowish/gold spot. that spot will fade over time. I have yet to find anything that removes them completely.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-17-2009, 9:14 AM Reply   
d powers, you can believe what you want regarding water based protectants, Ive seen the damage. Where did you show 303 was water based? And why no response to your "top manufactures moved away from silicone"? and the link I provided to disprove your statement? You show me where it says 303 is water based and I'll give my remaining half gallon to whoever wants it! It's ok that your wrong but can't admit it.
Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-17-2009, 9:20 AM Reply   
First link in my search results. http://www.autogeek.net/303aepr12cao.html
Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-17-2009, 9:37 AM Reply   
And from 303 themselves, discussing silicone and petroleum distillates. Next time educate yourself before spouting off a bunch of BS. http://www.303products.com/techinfo/vinyl1.htm

Feel free to send that half gallon of 303 my way.

(Message edited by brainrinse on September 17, 2009)
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-17-2009, 9:59 AM Reply   
Upload
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-17-2009, 10:08 AM Reply   
I am not a scientist, but if a cleaning product is in liquid form....isnt' it 99.9% of the time water based? I don't know of a cheaper liquid that a manufacturer would use?
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-17-2009, 10:48 AM Reply   
^^^^Alot of cleaning products used to be petroleum based, now it's probably 60% are water based. Best way to think about it is, water and oil based paint. Oil based sticks better, usually lasts longer and provides better protection, which is why it is still used in most bathrooms. But water based is so much easier to use and with the price of oil climbing water or latex paint is probably used 80% of the time.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-17-2009, 11:14 AM Reply   
d powers, again, where have you proved 303 is water based? And keep in mind you're reading biased info from the company trying to sell their product, (303) which is to be expected from any manufacturer. Why do you keep avoiding the questions? Sam, not always. Look at the P&S site I linked. Water based anything is JUNK. The newer "green" products are NEVER as good as the ones that they replace.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-17-2009, 11:18 AM Reply   
and the autogeek link might claim water based but the 303 MSDS doesen't list the ingredients...still no reliabe proof.
Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-17-2009, 12:05 PM Reply   
You aren't ever going to believe what I say, so do your own research. Almost every website that sells 303 calls out that it's water based. If that weren't true, don't you think 303 would correct them? Or call 303 and ask them directly since you don't trust their own website. Or there are plenty of good detailing forums out there, see what they say. Ask professional detailers about petroleum and silicone on vinyl. Ask the vinyl manufacturers themselves if they recommend silicone or water based products.
Old    shooter_08            09-17-2009, 12:18 PM Reply   
100+ post and a heated debate over vinyl cleaner? Only on WW.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-17-2009, 12:21 PM Reply   
Water in 303? It's a conspiracy! Aliens make it!

I've been using it every week for five years on my spa cover. Just pinched the vinyl and it didn't crack, must work. Sooo glad 303 didn't lie to me.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-17-2009, 12:50 PM Reply   
Almost every Malco water based protectant is SILICONE based! lol yeah silicone is bad for vinyl and plastic. LOLMalco Automotive
Products
New Products
VOC Compliance
MSDS Sheets
Product Training
Find A Distributor
About our Distributors
Become a Distributor
Distributors Only
Contact Us
Cool Cars

Search

Browse
Order by: Select Product Name SKU Latest Products
APPEAL™ SUPER CONCENTRATED DRESSING
VOC Compliant. Premium concentrated dressing that can be diluted up to 1:5. Create different levels of gloss ranging from a semi-gloss, satiny finish to a wet, dazzling shine. This durable, silicone-based, aqueous emulsion dressing offers ease of use and Product Details...

AQUA-BEAD SILICONE SUSPENSION DRESSING
VOC Compliant. Premium, water-based, silicone suspension dressing formulated to perform like a solvent-based dressing. Aqua-Bead's high-gloss and durability combined with its superior water-repellent properties make it ideal for tires, engines, bumpers, Product Details...

E-ZEE SHINE™ PREMIUM DRESSING
VOC Compliant. Easy-to-use, economical and 1:1 dilutable formula. E-Zee Shine protects and beautifies with a deep shine that will not easily wash away. Product Details...

PB-2™ MULTI-PURPOSE EMULSION DRESSING
VOC Compliant. Premium performance dressing that protects and beautifies vinyl, rubber, leather and plastic surfaces. Its silicone emulsion formula helps prevent drying, cracking, discoloration and deterioration of protected surfaces. Product Details...

PRIZM WATER-BASED DRESSING
VOC Compliant. This water-based emulsion dressing provides an attractive satiny gloss, while helping to prevent drying, fading, cracking, discoloration and deterioration on interior and exterior surfaces. Product Details...

RTU TIRE DRESSING
VOC Complaint. Silicone Free. Produces excellent gloss on tires without yellowing whitewalls. Its special water-based formula contains no silicones or solvents, making it an ideal choice for body shops. Product Details...

WIPE-ON GEL TIRE DRESSING
VOC Compliant. Premium, water-based, wipe-on formula keeps the dressing on the tire and minimizes the potential for messy sling. Wipe-On Gel dries quickly, leaves a high gloss shine and provides durable protection that doesn't wash away. Product Details...

Display # 5 10 15 20 25 30 50 Results 1 - 7 of 7About Us|News & Events|Contact Us|Corporate HomeAutomotive ProductsContract ManufacturingConsumer ProductsCopyright © 2009 Malco Products Inc. All rights reserved.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-17-2009, 12:58 PM Reply   
d powers, I guess Malco doesen't know as much as you about detailing. All bow to the king! Our shop DOES professional detailing by the way. Does yours?
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       09-17-2009, 2:06 PM Reply   
Seriously? Is this really worth the fight?

Great find!
Thanks for the heads up Hate! Got my Gallon yesterday.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-17-2009, 6:07 PM Reply   
Razzman, I've been using it for years too. Don't get me wrong Im not dissing 303, I have just never read or been told by a reliable source it's water based.. No ingrediants are listed on the MSDS, it's a proprietary formula which means we don't know what's in it.

I do know that it's false that manufacturers have gone away from solvent and silicone. The above links show that. It's all about VOC's these days and that's the reason for water based whatever. They always find a way to take away the good stuff and hand us some crap in return. And once it's all water based, everyone will be wanting the "good" stuff from those smart enough to hord some up. lol

Using a water based cleaner is fine because you wash then dry. Water based protectants, I believe, not so good. Vinyl and plastics are derived from petroleums and petroleums are what they like. This is deep rooted in my training and experience, call it old school, but ask anyone that knows me if I know how to make stuff last and look good forever. lol

As far as the 303 and the possibility it's water based, I was wanting to try something not as slippery after application anyway so it's all good. It probably is water based, but for ME, I don't want water based until it's the last choice...

And yeah this thread is probably longer that it needed to be but I think there is some good info in it still...

I should be getting some kickback from Malco, free product or something...
Old     (on_board_wakeboarding)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-18-2009, 12:55 AM Reply   
I would like to do the test too, but I live in the Netherlands. Over here we cann't buy the product.
Is someone willing to ship a bottle?
Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-18-2009, 5:53 AM Reply   
I wanna try some out here in AL. Even if you just used it for your DEEP cleanings.... and used milder stuff in between.
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       09-18-2009, 7:03 AM Reply   
would have been great if someone took before and after or during pics, just wonder how much a pic would show!
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-18-2009, 7:12 AM Reply   
I tried to capture it on film but I couldn't but it was painfully obvious to the human eye.

PB2 it did make things a little slicker not as bad as 303 but slick non the less. I hope it wears down quickly because I love how shiny and protected it made everything. The water really just beaded up on top of it and at wipe down everything just wiped away without a cleaner i.e. Babes. Just gotta get past the slickness.
Old     (rowdy)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-18-2009, 7:56 AM Reply   
Freaked me out the first time I used it, since it turns sunscreen green on contact! I hope I'm not the only one who sees this!
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-18-2009, 8:00 AM Reply   
I bought two gallons of it and the distributor kicked in two spray bottles and a 22oz. bottle of PB2 to check out plus some other samples. I'll report back on how it works as I'm detailing the boat this weekend. Unfortunately i have to put it away early due to knee surgery next week.

For you bay area guys the only distributor listed is;

Bascom Trim and Upholstery
852 Aldo Ave.
Santa Clara, CA.
408-727-2292
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-18-2009, 2:16 PM Reply   
Alot of upholstery shops carry it as well as auto upholstery material supply houses and detail shops.

I'll be cleaning mine in the next few weeks, I'll try and post up some pics.
Old     (frosty2469)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-02-2010, 11:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatepain View Post
Ok I finally decided to give Malco Leather and Plastic cleaner a try on the recommendation of a couple well respected members here. I think many here know that I am very anal about my boat especially my vinyl. I constantly wipe it down while out on the lake and always use Babes after each use. I have been using Exquisite and a mild brush for the last two seasons for my weekly deep cleaning and was very excited and pleased with the results..
Hello All,

Reviving an old thread, but I am a recent convert to Malco!
I posted a bit of the 1st post on this thread, and this post is the reason I decided to try it.
If you missed this thread when new, the first page is worth going back to read.
The first page.

Seriously Hate, 'weekly deep cleaning'... wow!
Your recommendation was the one that made me try Malco Leather and Plastic Cleaner.

The boat has been in outdoor storage with the transom literally hanging over a seawall, with the original 12 year old cover on it, for 2 years.
Mildew ran rampant. It has been 2 1/2 years since it was cleaned.

BTW, I did all of this with one hand (I had a beer in the other hand).
Don't try this at home, I'm a professional.

First, this is the juice:

Click here for Malco Website

Before:
well, I had just sprayed it down with the Malco, and took a few swipes with the brush on it.
The left side of the picture didn't even get hit with the brush, so you can kind of tell what it looked like before I sprayed / brushed it.
I let it soak for about 1 minute.

During:
I took a paper towel, and took a swipe at it....

After:
I sprayed it off with a garden hose, (the dirt literally washed off, without rubbing), then I hit it with some 303...

WOW!

All this in less than 5 minutes with one hand! I didn't even get the beer finished!

Thanks HatePain for the write up, you saved me alot of work, and possibly the $$ on a new interior!

Looks and feels new... the seat looked worse than the before picture shows, and now looks better than the after picture!

Malco is not easy to find, but well worth it.

I figure the rest of the boat is a 4 beer project, but I don't want to rush it... so maybe a 6 pack?