Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 04, 2009

Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-25-2009, 8:30 AM Reply   
Our new epic is finally in the water and being used! Im in love with this boat, It looks so good on the water and the surf wake and wakeboard wake is awesome. Im really happy with it and the boat has quickly felt apart of the family like the x-star did. heres some pics of the first time out.

And one pic of me on my solo flight i took a few weeks ago! just thought I had to tell u guys i solo'd

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (lancesaville)      Join Date: May 2009       07-25-2009, 8:39 AM Reply   
Congrats on the first solo, it's gonna make vacationing a lot nice for you in the future when you can fly yourself for cheaper. Very nice boat too. I've always been curious about Epic's transom sound setup. You still on break-in or did you get to do some pulls? Does the sound make it back to the rider pretty good?
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-25-2009, 9:39 AM Reply   
I am curious about that transom setup aswell....what about surf rollers? i know the surf wake almost goes over my transom when we stop to pick up a fallen rider.
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-25-2009, 10:10 AM Reply   
I got to surf one last month, sounded great behind the boat, but the factory interior setup seemed to be lacking in my opinion. We were told the speakers were marine grade and the water wasn't an issue. The surf wake didn't seem to be a problem. One of the Epics that was out had what looked like plexiglass over the transom speakers. Not sure why
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-25-2009, 10:18 AM Reply   
That looks awesome Twitch! I'm gonna hit you up for a ride in that soon. Hmmm, a white or black lifted super duty would look damn good towing that bad boy.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-25-2009, 11:07 AM Reply   
haha yeah it defrinetly would man. But yeah the surf is f'n huge and the speakers are pretty good, Id rather have wetsounds tho. But yeah Im lovin this boat it handles like a dream and rides very smooth too.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-25-2009, 3:03 PM Reply   
Throw some black Bullets on the tower to top it off.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-27-2009, 6:37 AM Reply   
Congrats on the new Epic! We surf our Epic a lot. The stereo is great and the water on the transom is no big deal. The marine grade speakers can handle it.
Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-27-2009, 7:09 AM Reply   
sweet boat.... on the speakers in the back... are those subs marine grade? I dont think they are. The marine grade ones I sell look just like the 6 1/2" speakers.... just a lot larger... Shocking to see that they would put marine grade components down there... and not Subs.... hum... Good looking boat though! Enjoy
Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-27-2009, 7:10 AM Reply   
after looking at it more..... it looks like the marine grade ones might not fit... they are round.
Old     (josharre2000)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-27-2009, 8:44 AM Reply   
Nice boat. Love the transom speakers--prolly will help you hear the music over the roar of that 8.1
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-27-2009, 9:23 AM Reply   
Hey twitch throw some bullet 650's in place of the kicker's on the transom and you'll have the effect you're looking for. Mounting depth on the bullet's is like 7-8" though.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-01-2009, 3:52 PM Reply   
thanks guys! yeah I absolutely HATE the sound system, weve been in chelan for the past week and have already blown them out because ive been used to the wetounds and JL system in the x-star. But all together IM really happy with the boat, the surf wake is by far the best Ive ever ridden and I finally got my 360's down on the surfer. We will for sure be either working something out with epic to up the system a little more or we will just re do it ourselves. This boat gets looks everywhere it goes just like the x-star did but instead ppl ask questions about it and are more interested because they havent seen one before.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-02-2009, 11:20 AM Reply   
Nice looking boat! question - how are you setting up your ballast for surfing? We've been trying to get my buddy's dialed in and we aren't having much luck.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-02-2009, 5:45 PM Reply   
Dude its awesome! full surf side, 3/4 front, and people on the tower and in the corner, its amazing.
Old     (tigerider20v)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-02-2009, 6:52 PM Reply   
SICK absolutly SICK< but do us all a favor and never let some dude layout on the back deck!
Old     (tro)      Join Date: May 2009       08-02-2009, 7:01 PM Reply   
"never let some dude layout on the back deck!"

+1
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-02-2009, 7:12 PM Reply   
hahahaaha especially in those god awful shorts man!

agreed
Old     (tigerider20v)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-02-2009, 7:17 PM Reply   
That is bikini zone only on my boat, but i can't say enough about that boat. Very envious, oh screw it JEALOUS
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-03-2009, 6:42 AM Reply   
Do you know, do these have different swim platforms than the '07? We do 1/2 front and full surf side and the wave is super tall but the pocket is super short. We also tried this setup with 13 people and the wave was ridiculously high but had no pocket whatsoever.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-03-2009, 12:11 PM Reply   
I dont man sorry, try going faster it might help cuz we had it pretty long as one point
Old     (matt_ostmeyer)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-03-2009, 1:27 PM Reply   
Hey Congrats on getting your boat in! I'm stoked to hear you guys are loving it! I've been spending some time surfing ours lately and have been getting a truly EPIC wave filling the front full, the surf side full, and the off side about 3/8 full, running the tab at about 25% -- give it a shot - filling the off side lengthens the pocket and beefs it up, without losing the size :-)
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-03-2009, 4:14 PM Reply   
Thanks for the tip Matt!
Old     (matt_ostmeyer)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-04-2009, 10:17 AM Reply   
fo sho fo sho!
Old     (michridr69)      Join Date: Dec 2008       08-04-2009, 10:27 AM Reply   
those boats are so ugly they are beautifull!!!!! i just rode behind one last week and it was sick!! congrats on first solo, i sh@t my self when i flew my first solo
Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-04-2009, 11:49 AM Reply   
I'm thinking of getting one of these boats but am hearing mixed reviews on how they handle. I've been hearing from local dealers that they handle "like a bus" even when not full of balast. I'm thinking they are biased because they sell other boat brands. With the vector steering I can't see how they would handle like crap.

Anyways, how does the boat drive compared to your old X-star? I'm curious to know what you think of its handling.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-04-2009, 12:16 PM Reply   
Yeah, thanks for the tip, Matt. I'm gonna try filling the off side. We surf at the same settings you use, except for the offside ballast. We also found that turning slightly, rather than going straight, helps take down the steepness.

Epics handle extremely well. You can even do power turns with them. My VLX handled like a tank when full. I've driven a lot of boats and the Epic performs the best when the ballast is full.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-04-2009, 12:31 PM Reply   
I am an MB/CC guy, but I agree with tuneman, the Epic drives very well, in fact it may be one of my favorite things about the boat.

Nic, you really have to be careful with Sales guys. About 85% of them don't have a clue. When I sold boats, I sold a ton of boats because other salesmen didn't have a clue what they were talking about or they tried to BS my customers. Bashing is their best and only defense.
Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-04-2009, 12:43 PM Reply   
You two just sealed the deal. Got a black 2010 on order. Here's to hoping it gets here before labor day
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-04-2009, 4:43 PM Reply   
Yeah man it handles like a dream, u can turn it on a dime if u need to. It really grips the water in the turns and backs up both ways as well.
Old     (bullydog)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-05-2009, 1:31 AM Reply   
Hey twitch, just wondering what part of the stereo system do you not like? Is it just the speakers or do you not care for the subs as well? It looks as if there should be plenty of bass. That is one great looking boat and I am definatly interested now. Only problem is there arn't any dealers close to me and my luck I would get a lemon. Again congrats thats a sweet boat.
Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-05-2009, 5:17 AM Reply   
Crap, looks like the 2010's won't be in production for a little while yet. I might have to go with an 09 if I want one this season still.

Andrew, I'm in Minnesota and there are no dealers close to me either. Epic has established a service center here in Minnesota to handle warranty claims though so I'm not worried. I am having a new boat shipped to me up here. If you get a lemon I'm sure you would get taken care of no question.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-05-2009, 8:44 AM Reply   
Andrew, my 2009 is for sale ($56,900 obo) and it's no lemon. It's in excellent condition and the few warranty issues have been taken care of. Just thought I'd let you know in case you're interested. I'm in Minnesota as well. That's about 1000 miles from you.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-05-2009, 8:47 AM Reply   
BTW, when I got my Epic, I had to adjust the gains on the amps. They were all maxed out, which could result in blown speakers if the volume was turned up all the way. I adjusted them right away and the stereo rocks.
Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-05-2009, 9:40 AM Reply   
Does the boat only have one battery? With such a stereo system in it, would it be wise to run two batteries if you plan on an extended period of listening with the boat not running? We like to head out to Big Island and just chill for a few hours and would like to be able to listen to music the whole time.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-05-2009, 9:59 AM Reply   
Nope, two batteries with an isolator but no Perko switch.
Old     (jcampy11)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-07-2009, 7:17 PM Reply   
Twitch - did you sell your XStar? Over all satisfaction which boat do you like better? How do you like wakeboarding behind the Epic Vs the XStar?