Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 03, 2009

Old     (hsryan33)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-31-2009, 4:45 PM Reply   
hey guys i was at the local boardshop over the weekend and am curious to a statement ive heard several times over the years. supposedly 20% of wakeboard sales happen in california then the rest around the country and globe. if that much of sales goes on, how come there aren't more pros in california then?
Old     (spin2win)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-31-2009, 5:06 PM Reply   
pros get boards for free. cali=less pros and more purchases. cali=5th or 6th largest economy in the world. you do the math
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-31-2009, 5:09 PM Reply   
There are a ton of "pros" in Cali norcal especially.... The top pro tour riders that everyone knows is only a very small percentage of the "pros" in the industry....but also I think such factors like weather and awesome water in the delta along with the many lakes contribute to the high sales in Cali...
Old    murrayair            03-31-2009, 5:14 PM Reply   
Pros are going to live where they can comfortably practice their sport year round, which is Florida. It's great out here in CA during the summer, but the winters aren't the warmest in most of the state. I could be wrong, but it seems like there are also more small private lakes in FL, as opposed to all the big lakes we've got out here. I would rather ride on a small lake with not a lot of people than share a huge lake with the rest of the world.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-31-2009, 5:27 PM Reply   
Here is my breakdown of this all....

Most of the world doesn't wakeboard. I'm sure there is a person or two in most countries that do wakeboard but honestly most of Asia (LOTS OF PEOPLE), Mid-East ( not Doha/Dubai), most of South America, and.... lets face it, most of the rest of the world doesn't care about wakeboarding. So not a ton of sales will go there.

Cali is huge... only 35 countries have more people than Cali.... Canada, North Korea, Australia, Chili, etc etc etc all have less people than just the state of Cali. That is a lot of consumers, epecially since they are consumers of America (one of/thee most spoiled country around) so things like wakeboards can be purchased.....

I'm sure there are tons of online shops/stores/warehouses that ship based from Cali seeing is that it is on the coast, so all the sales from these online vendors that get boards shipped to everywhere in the world all counts for Cali too.

20% is no shock to me at all.
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-31-2009, 6:56 PM Reply   
Plus, generally higher incomes (compared with MOST of the US) allow for less barriers to entry for the relatively expensive sport of wakeboarding.