Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 15, 2009

Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-17-2008, 10:51 AM Reply   
I've heard from a couple industry folks that the Pleasanton show is a goner..cancelled?

True story, or gossip?
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-17-2008, 11:09 AM Reply   
I have not heard but it would not surprise me if they consolidated it into the RV show.
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-17-2008, 11:12 AM Reply   
The consolidation was already on...now I'm hearing complete cancellation.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-17-2008, 11:28 AM Reply   
meathead ~ true story, but things could always change.
Old     (baschralper)      Join Date: Dec 2001       12-17-2008, 12:34 PM Reply   
I just heard this morning from reliable sources that the show is a no go.

They are also having problems getting dealers to sign up for the Sac. show as well.

(Message edited by baschralper on December 17, 2008)
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       12-17-2008, 1:17 PM Reply   
true
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-17-2008, 2:39 PM Reply   
I know that Sac has plenty of unsold space...they won't get my 15K this year...after 4 years of getting sh*t on by the SVMA when times were good, they can pound sand now. Amazing watching the association bow down to the Copes and Barry Paulsen year after year due to "seniority"....where are those guys now?
Old     (bobby_and_mikey_dad)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-17-2008, 10:53 PM Reply   
Wow Meathead, alot of hate'n from a guy I respect, but I feel ya!!! Since I was in the same boat :-)

Pleasanton is gone or so I hear by 2 very reliable sources. Cope went chapter 7 today or so the, again reliable sources say. Moved up the list now !!!
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-18-2008, 8:47 AM Reply   
^^^^

It always amazed me that Cope didn't have enough push to get Ultimate bumped up the list to get prime space in that show....I guess the uproar from Paulsen and Brothers would have been great...

But I hear there is about 20,000 feet available now! Maybe they will run the Rail Jam inside with all the available footage.
Old     (boatingman)      Join Date: Dec 2008       12-18-2008, 1:38 PM Reply   
I thought Cope was in 11 or 13 for businesses, the one for re-organization. You said Chapter 7 (individual) Did you mean the Court just recently did not let them re-organize and they're going into Bankruptcy liquidation?
Old     (bobby_and_mikey_dad)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-18-2008, 5:13 PM Reply   
They are not going to be in business anymore, all there store are either closed or are going to close and they are going to liquidate their assets. So what ever number that is , sorry no lawyer background and yes things changed yesterday, from what I hear that is.
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-18-2008, 5:21 PM Reply   
Websites are down, and company email is bouncing back to sender.

I think they are done.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       12-19-2008, 10:40 PM Reply   
yes copes is done. the court ruled in favor of the banks that had lent them money. all of thier assets, including their homes that they put up as collateral will be seized as well as the business properties they own. done deal
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-20-2008, 9:28 AM Reply   
It's a sad deal all around. I feel sorry for the folks over at Copes. I've got a lot of friends that have worked for them over the years and currently. Employee's aside I'm not sad to see them go. There were a lot of people that got screwed along the way. When things were good they were the 800 pound gorilla that had to run the show everywhere they went. Business doesn't work like that (at least, not for long). It builds a lot bad feelings.

Back to the boat show.... It does appear that the P-Town boat show wont go on this year. It bums me out. It's always a fun time of year to get the buzz going about the coming year. I love being able to roll in and see friends that I haven't seen since the previous summer. The parties, and premiers that go along with the show are always fun, too. Like everyone said, though, it appears the Sac show will be on as usual and I'm sure I'll be making the trek up there a few times.

It's going to be a quiet year in the boating industry, but I'm looking forward to it. New year, new boats, new gear and new memories. Nothing is changing for me.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-20-2008, 9:34 AM Reply   
Ya, the Sac Boat show is still going on but they are needing more business' to purchase floor space. From what I understand, the price has gone down from last year and the three buildings that the even use to have will be down to 2 buildings now. :-(
Old     (bobby_and_mikey_dad)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-20-2008, 9:50 AM Reply   
With Cope gone that just opened up 7000 square feet at the front door, I'm sure that won't help. What about the Surf and Turf in Feb? and the Reno show?
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-20-2008, 10:21 AM Reply   
Cope saw the writing on the wall and never took any space at the allocation meeting. As of the last layout I saw, there is still 10,000 feet of bulk unsold in the main pavillion...and almost all the 10x10's in the main are unsold. Building C and D are completely empty.

With those numbers, I would not be surprised if they cancel the show.

We pulled out of Surf and Turf early....another show that may not go off this year. which is a shame, because I think they are the best promoters at Cal Expo.

Reno has morphed into a joint venture with a Home and Garden show again this year.....
Old     (davidggriffith)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-20-2008, 4:03 PM Reply   
does anybody know if the salt lake city show is still happeneing
Old     (bobby_and_mikey_dad)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-20-2008, 4:53 PM Reply   
Cope took 7000 sq ft, but didn't deposit it, if the layout didn't show them then Jurgen must have called their bluff.

Don't you think when push comes to shove everyone will ultimatly step up? How can they not?
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-20-2008, 5:05 PM Reply   
^^^^^^
They didn't step up for Pleasanton....and that was the bastard stepchild of the Cow Palace Show that was an institution for decades.

We may see the end of the mega boat show, and witness smaller, more focused shows take their place...the ISE, for instance, is sold out in Sacramento. Perhaps the Wake/Ski industry will follow a similar path, and get in line with a promoter who will bring in Skate, Moto, Mountain Biking, and other "X Games" types under one roof.

Too many shows, economy, and that fact that for the most part the "show price" has been an artificial tool that the consumers caught on to has been a triple whammy for boat shows.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       12-21-2008, 10:11 AM Reply   
http://www.marinesource.com/boat_shows/utah_boat_show.cfm

Looks like SLC is still going to have a show, but it costs $9 to get in. An indoor lake! Wow.

Feb 4-8, 2009.