Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through September 24, 2004

Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-25-2004, 10:21 AM Reply   
Here is how I set up my 02 Calabria Pro V, 6.2L engine:

Boat: 3500 lbs
65 gal fuel tank: 520 lbs
Internal Ballast: 700 lbs
Additional Ballast: 1200 lbs

Total Weight: @ 6000 lbs before people and gear and stereo.

My stock prop is an ACME 13 x 17.5, and I am going to change my prop.

My options are a 13.5 x 16 (recommended by a Calabria rep) and a 13.25 x 15.5 (recommended by ACME Props rep). Both are a larger diamater than the stock prop, so I am concerned about the space between the hull and the prop, which ACME suggests should be at least 10% of the prop diamter.

I know both will give me more holeshot power, but which one do you think will be more efficient and not raise my WOT RPMs too much? Will the larger diameter increase the surface area too much and negate the lower pitch?

Thanks for all of your opinions and experiences,
Tim
Old    swpmwinc            08-25-2004, 10:51 AM Reply   
Acme made me a prop that is 13x16.5 it was more money but it seems to work well i have friends that are running the13.5x16 with no problems I am running the same set up as you as far as weight goes. stereo is in the ballpark of 890lbs and run with 6 people
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-25-2004, 1:54 PM Reply   
Stick with the Acme recommendation. $349 shipped to you. rider@boarditup.com
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-25-2004, 3:33 PM Reply   
tdc ~ Just as an FYI gas is lighter that water.
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-25-2004, 3:37 PM Reply   
Just talked to an ACME rep again. According to him, the 13.5 x 16 prop may be close enough to the underside of the hull to do gelcoat damage. He advised me to have anyone I know running that prop on a Pro V check for damage to the gelcoat above and aft of the strut. I personally do not see how the 1/8th" closer it is can cause any more/less damage, especially with the way the prop is angled down (which makes the overall difference less than 1/8" closer to the hull).

Anyhow, if you are running that prop on a Pro V, do you notice any damage?
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-25-2004, 3:42 PM Reply   
ant bug---i am aware of that...and actually, water weighs slightly more than 8lb/gallon (like 8.2 lb/g, correct me if i am wrong). i would assume that gasoline cannot be too far off of the 8.0 lb/g mark...
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-25-2004, 4:45 PM Reply   
TDC no worries on the prop. I use to run a 14X18 on my Pro-V with no problems. I am currently running the 13.5 X 16 and it works great. If you want to make your boat handle better than drop some of the extra ballast. The boat does not need that much weight.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-25-2004, 4:50 PM Reply   
Blasphemer!