Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through June 22, 2004

Old     (xxxlair)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-20-2004, 6:10 PM Reply   
I am going to put another amp for the tower speakers in addition to the stock Kicker amp. Does anybody have any suggestions or pics on where to mount the tower speaker amp? The additional amp is a 650.4 Kicker so it is fairly large. Thanks in advance, Peter
Old    ag4ever            05-20-2004, 8:24 PM Reply   
Look for the thread labled Harold's SAN.

Grant (whitechocolate) is doing a great install and documenting it along the way.
Old    whitechocolate            05-21-2004, 8:09 AM Reply   
here is a link to Harolds SAN
http://svtsupercharged.com/gallery/Harold
Old    whitechocolate            05-21-2004, 8:29 AM Reply   
Funny story, 2 weeks ago I happend to call my friend Pete (photo) he was just about to install his amp boards in his new Sanger 215. He says franticley "Grant I cant talk right now im just about to glue the amp boards" I said hold on what glue are using? How are you doing it? Are you sure your using the right glue ect ect. I gave him the 5th degree. He seemed to have all the right answers, so I let him get off the phone and get back to his project.

Fast forward 2 day's

Its my friend Pete on the phone, this is how the phone call goes.

Pete: "Grant when you glued your amp board's in your boat did you glue to the carpet or did you cut back the carpet and glue directley to the fiberglass?

Me: I cut back the carpet and glue directley to the fiberglass.

Pete: "Silence"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Me: DID YOU GLUE DIRECTLEY TO THE CARPET?

Pete: Grant Im gonna have to call you back!

Fast forward 1 more day.

Pete has left a voice message on my cell.

Pete: Grant I looked at my amp boards and I did
glue to the carpet.

Funny thing he knew right away when he first asked the question that he F"d up he didnt even need to ask. The next phone call he spent telling me how the amps were instaled correctley and how it's strong and how it's even stronger than glueing directley to the fiberglass, "Because the carpet gives somthing for the glue to grab onto".

I guess I have been doing it wrong this whole time.

Pete I love ya, but your a Hacker!

Only in the 209

(Message edited by whitechocolate on May 21, 2004)
Old     (superairdawg)      Join Date: May 2003       05-21-2004, 9:43 AM Reply   
Hey Grant, where do you ground those amps at by the observer seat?

(Message edited by superairdawg on May 21, 2004)
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-24-2004, 8:11 AM Reply   
ooops!
Old    whitechocolate            05-24-2004, 9:22 AM Reply   
they gound to the batterys up front
Old     (superairdawg)      Join Date: May 2003       05-25-2004, 6:23 AM Reply   
ahh.. was referring back to your pix and assumed that was the case. I still am running only the single battery in the back so the closest ground I could find is near the engine, a good nine feet away. Think I'm losing much amp power with that long a ground, or does a longer ground just increase my chance for noise in the system?
Old    whitechocolate            05-25-2004, 6:59 AM Reply   
Joe: Your mounting in a Boat its not like a car where you can ground anywhere. Mount the ground at the battery or the engine or what ever is close. and No I dont think your losing any power with a longer ground, Im sure if you ask enough people someone will say how the longer ground is costing you Bla Bla Bla" with all there #'s but IMO mount it where it will stay the dryest and deal with everythng else 2nd
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-25-2004, 7:10 AM Reply   
Grant, what type adhesive are you using when you glue these amp boards to fiberglass? Some type of resin? Where did you get it?

Thanks
Old    whitechocolate            05-25-2004, 7:21 AM Reply   
"Liqued Nails" you can get it anywhere.Home Depot $1.99 a tube
Pay attention to this detail. Its in a Brown tube with a dark blue label that says "Heavy Duty" in white letters. STAY AWAY from the one in the brown tube with a Red label "construction project's" I used this on harolds boat and it never dryed and stayed soft and flexable, I had to remove all the things I glued with this glue and switch to the "Heavy Duty" it sucked.

The company changed somthing in there glue. I have used the Brown tube with the Red lable on like 10 amp boards with no problems, Thats the Glue I used in and on my boat. Then when I bought it for Harolds boat the color was diffrent
and the glue was diffrent. That should have given me a clue. So long story Longer Brown tube with blue label "Good". Brown tube with Red Lable "BAD"
Old    whitechocolate            05-25-2004, 7:24 AM Reply   
Ill post a phot of the 2 diffrent tubes
Old    whitechocolate            05-25-2004, 7:25 AM Reply   
GOOD

BAD

Old     (superairdawg)      Join Date: May 2003       05-25-2004, 7:27 AM Reply   
Thanks for the info, Grant. Yeah, I grounded at same spot the engine starter is grounded to since it was a closer run than getting clear over to the battery. I'm looking into adding another battery in the port storage area and if/when I do, I might take that opportunity to shorten the run and just ground to it.
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-25-2004, 7:39 AM Reply   
Grant thanks for the response. I have to say looking at all your post and pics. I wish I had the patience you had. Man I would pull my hair doing some of the stuff you do. Good Work!