Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 04, 2009

Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-16-2009, 10:33 AM Reply   
So I wanted to do a pretty custom Perfect Pass system in my boat. So after much talks with Perfect Pass, riding in boats with GPS based systems and paddle wheel based systems I decided that I want the best of both worlds..GPS AND paddle wheel.. so I bought a Stargazer wakeboard pro Perfect Pass system and contacted Perfect Pass to talk to them about my idea. After talking with Perfect Pass, they sent me out a new "custom" software that would allow me to use both GPS and paddle wheel and the brain of the unit could:

1. Auto Callaborate the Paddle wheel via GPS
2. In turns where the paddle wheel loses speed, automatically kicks over to GPS to hold speed through the turn
3. And when there is a current, it can determine the current speed based on the paddle wheel speed and GPS speed and hold an accurate speed that was set by measruing between the 2.

SO...

Install as follows:

2002 Sanger V210 with Magnum Motor:

1. Servo Motor.. Remove the plastic cover on the top of the motor, on the port side of the motor you will have a red cable that runs to the throttle assembly, where that assembly is located, there is a ball joint that is attached. Remove this ball joint.

2. Now this is where it got tricky. the Cable that comes from the servo motor is pretty long, and PP says to install the motor onto a water intake hose. I could not find where this hose they were talking about was, where there wasnt a foot of extra throttle line.. I decided to mount the servo motor to the starboard side of the removable engine compartment then loop the throttle cable around the back.

3. Using the supplied L bracket attach the L bracket to where the stock ball joint was. Dissasemble the STOCK ball joint piece on the throttle cable assembly, and attach it to the Servo moto cable with the provided female end. Then attach the cable into the L bracket provided. (sounds confusing to read, but once you look at the cable you will easily see what im talking about)

4. Then run provided server motor wiring to the front of the boat.

5. Paddle Wheel: On the V210 the only spot for the paddle wheel install was on the starboard side of the motor. Just measure location and drill a 1" hole with a hole saw and drill bit guide. Install the Paddle wheel and seal with some Marine GOO. Then Run the Paddle wheel cable to the front of the boat.

6. RPM cable install: I removed my RPM Guage and simply spliced into the GREY wire in harness that attaches to RPM guage, reinstall RPM guage.

7. GPS Antenna, For my install I wanted the Antenna exposed for maximum single. I didnt want to experiment with it under the dash and have to move it if it wasnt working, so I unscrewed the plastic dash cover and just ran the antenna wire inbetween the plastic cover dash vinyl and velcrode the GPS unit right under my window. Run the wire down to where the brain would sit

8. Guage install: find the desired location of your guage, cut out the area needed to mount and install.. Very simple. Run the cable down under the dash.

9. POWER & Ground. So for this I ran the power directly to the 12V ignition so that when the boat was on, Id get power, when the boat key turned off, it would turn off.. ground went to the grounding block under the dash. Very straight forward. You can run the power to the AUX switch on the dash if you wanted to as well, if you wanted to control the on and off of the PP.

10. Last step is to just attach all the supplied cables into the brain and VUALA! You now have Perfect Pass

FAQ:

Q: How long did the install take?
A: Well, if I had my own directions maybe 2-3 hours tops but I had a hard time with the servo motor and finding the location to mount, once that was found the rest was just routine cable
running

Q: Well??? How does it work?
A: No idea! I finished it up late and I didnt have a chance to try it out.. Im going out this weekend and will give it a shot and report back.

Q: How/where did you run all the cables?
A: If you remove your backrest on side seat of the starboard side (removing 2 screws when you lift up the seat where the ice chest is, you get easy access to run all the wires to the front of the boat. Once you run all your cables, just zip tie them up above the fiberglass area so they are not seen. At this point I have sooooo much wiring in my boat from the stereo, Ballast, Perfect Pass, Im going to have to add weight to the port side hahah (j/k)

Q: How were the folks at Perfect Pass to deal with?
A: unbelievable, PP has some really smart techs and very friendly customer support people. I had a problem with the initial brain that I got and the next morning I had a new brain on my doorstep. WOW! Dont ever feel shy about calling them!

Q: I need help on installing the unit will you help me?
A: Totally. If you are local to the bay area lets pick a day and knock this out.. Its very fast and simple.

Q: Any pics of the install?
A: The pictures that I took turned out to dark because it was late when I finished. I will update this post after this weekend with some good pictures of the install
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-16-2009, 11:30 AM Reply   
Thats sick man best of both worlds. Keep us posted on how it works.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-16-2009, 2:24 PM Reply   
I'm really curious to hear more about this. Specifically, the "custom" software. I have stargazer wake edition and already had a paddle wheel. What are the requirements in this situation and did you have to pay any additional fees for the software? Who did you work with at PP?
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-16-2009, 2:37 PM Reply   
Bruce, It will be a 70 dollar upgrade for your software. They will send you a little USB stick that plugs in the brain.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-16-2009, 2:41 PM Reply   
I'm assuming you can run straight GPS only if you want right (normal stargazer mode). Can anybody there help me or should I ask for someone specifically? Thanks for the post.
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-16-2009, 2:42 PM Reply   
Any of the support guys should be able to help you.. tell them you want to run both the GPS AND paddle wheel.. I worked with Tom.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-17-2009, 1:51 PM Reply   
Now that sounds like a GREAT IDEA!!!
Old     (nmcjr)      Join Date: Aug 2009       11-03-2009, 4:04 PM Reply   
Anyone have any feedback on this new software yet?
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-03-2009, 8:53 PM Reply   
It works like a charm... I love it... Never surges around corners and I always know the true speed...
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       11-03-2009, 9:58 PM Reply   
thats the cool thing about pp. im running a custom version of the os myself. we had talked about integrating the paddlewheel with the gps, but never figured out a decent way to do it. corners and the such seem like a great alternative. ill have to give them a call back
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-05-2010, 2:45 PM Reply   
Any long term feedback on this?