Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 04, 2009

Old     (leveraged)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-07-2009, 4:21 PM Reply   
gday gday,
Well I live in Aus and as we don't really have a decent boat market for the 20-25k AUD mark, So I am chasing an american import. there are a few around here as guys have been importing but I need to find the best boat in my price range for wakeboarding. Some of the boats to choose from are:
1994 malibu skier
1995 tige (assuming its the 2000slm)
1992 supra
89,93 prostar 190
1990 mal euro f3
1989 ski nautique
87 ski nautique
Ive researched as much as I can and from that have gotten that the sn2001 will pump the best wake, but I just wanted to check if any of these others would fit the bill? I would like a newer boat like 94 onwards but also want best wake for the $$$, any help would be much appreciated
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-07-2009, 4:42 PM Reply   
1994 malibu skier- skip this one
1995 tige (assuming its the 2000slm)-skip this one
1992 supra- Sunsport=great, comp=not good at all
89,93 prostar 190-great boats but not very good WAKE boats.
1990 mal euro f3-skip unless it is a sunsetter open bow.
1989 ski nautique- awesome boat and wake, small inside
87 ski nautique-same as above.

If the wake is the most important thing to you it is almost impossible to beat the SN2001 for the price. Other boats to look for are Supra Sunsports, Malibu sunsetters, Mastercraft 205's and sport nautiques. On the west coast you may also be able to find a Sanger DLX.

I just looked it up and 25k AUD is about 22k USD. If that is the case then it opens up way more and better options. I have no idea how much it costs to ship something to Australia but if you can spend 15-20k USD here are some great options on the West Coast.

Sanger V210-great wake, vdrive, handles great, reliable. You can find for 12.5-20k easy.

Nautique supersport-Legendary wake, vdrive, bulletproof. Should be able to find for 15-20k as well.

Mastercaft 205V-Legendary wake, vdrive, great boat. Harder to find.

Supra Sunsport/Launch-Great wake, direct drive, real deep. Harder to find on the west coast but if you can find them they could be anywhere from 6k to 25k.

Here are some boats on the west coast.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/boa/1400854536.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/1410283659.html

My Pick:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/1403839552.html

Real cheap with great potential
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/1407905538.html

Crazy high hours but a great boat
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/1407552967.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/boa/1403648619.html

Another boat I would consider
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/1410618453.html

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/1399077687.html
Old     (leveraged)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-07-2009, 5:11 PM Reply   
yeh ive had shipping estimates from 5k-12.5 AUD, but we also have to pay 10% GST tax on the boat and freight costs aswell. So a 10k USD sn2001 becomes around 20ish AUD i think once here. There is a tight sn2001 here for 25k. What is the supra wake like? i do like the look of these boats also the F3 if it were open bow???
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-07-2009, 5:40 PM Reply   
I don't know from personal experience but the that Supra Sunsport for 7k will throw an awesome wake from what other people on wakeworld have said. It has been teh same hull for 2 decades. Maybe someone else can chime in on whether it is steep or rampy but I know with weight it will get big.
Old     (leveraged)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-07-2009, 5:49 PM Reply   
ok, ive emailed the guy about this as he is vague with the details, so finding out if its a sunsport or comp...hopefully sunsport. My top 3 picks at the moment are the sn2001's, malibu f3 euro sunsetter open bow, and supra sunsport. Other then this my only options are dirty bayliners or equivalent sterndrives with towers and speakers and i didnt wanna spend the money to get something whose wake i will grow out of quickly. cheers for help
Old     (leveraged)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-08-2009, 5:28 AM Reply   
Ive been doing some research today and I've narrowed down to 2 boats I like.
the 1989 ski nautique 2001 and
1992 supra sunsport

I dont know much about the sunsport though, and from info ive read the sn2001 is a bit shy on room, so I wouldnt mind having a bow rider like the sunport. What are the pros and cons of the sunsport, anyone have any pictures of its wake or sunsport setups??

Thanks guys,
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-08-2009, 8:06 AM Reply   
Jeff, search "Supra Sunsport" in the search section. that should come up with some good stuff. The other thing you can do is search "Supra Launch Wake" or "Supra Launch Direct Drive"

That will get you some good stuff but according to people on wakeworld the only negative about the 92 era Sunsport is that it has wood stringers and floor. That isn't that big of a deal because the other boat(SN2001) you are looking at has the same thing. I would take the Sunsport over the 2001 strictly because of the extra room, storage and freeboard. If you don't need the extra room the 2001 is a great choice because with 1500# of weight you are ready to go. The 2001 is easy to tow, good on gas and a very solid boat. If you do find a couple you are serious about buying then you need to have someone go check out the boats. They need to check the floor for soft spots, the motor mount bolts to make sure they bite when tightening and take it for a test drive.

There are a lot of people on wakeworld from all over the West Coast and I am sure for pretty cheap you could find someone to look at the boats, get you pics, take it for a test drive, etc.....
Old     (elbastardo)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-08-2009, 8:29 AM Reply   
I'm pretty sure my 1992 Sunsport is all fiberglass (no wood). According to the Supra website, they went to all fiberglass on 'some models' in 1992.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-08-2009, 8:39 AM Reply   
Try looking here to find out the information on the sunsport.
http://www.supraboats.com/bbs/
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-08-2009, 8:40 AM Reply   
If it was all fiberglass that would be awesome. If you get the HULL ID # you can tell if it was built in 1991 or 1992. Maybe the one's built in 92 were all fiberglass. I wonder if you could get in contact with Supra and they could tell from the HID# if it was wood or fiberglass?
Old     (leveraged)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-08-2009, 2:59 PM Reply   
Thanks guys, you's are a wealth of knowledge. The sn2001 and sunsport I am looking at are both in Australia, crazy prices compared to what you can get in america, but I guess when ppl go to the hassle of bringing them over they expect a bit of money back. the sn2001 is 26k and the sunsport??(still checking if it is a sunsport or comp) is 22-25k depending on if i want the guy who imported it to clean it up and put it on dual axle trailer, or if i want to just take it as is. I do like the look and room of the sunsport alot more, what would the wake comparison be? woud it just be a matter of loading the supra up a bit more then the sn2001 ? Once i get some more details of the sunport and pictures I will post for you guys to give some feedback.
Old     (leveraged)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-08-2009, 3:06 PM Reply   
greg, how is your sunsport? any problems or issues? pros and cons?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-08-2009, 3:57 PM Reply   
You may have to put an extra 500 to 1000 lbs in the supra to get a similar size wake as the 2001 but I don't even know if it is that much.
Old     (elbastardo)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-08-2009, 4:06 PM Reply   
Great boat. Nice and roomy compared to other old boats. Very comfy bow. I was a little disappointed in the wake until I realized that you need to raise the wakeplate all the way up (or some people suggest removing it altogether). Now the wake is great. Plenty of storage to hide ballast under the rear seat, in the rear trunk, in the cooler up front, and under the bow seats in front. I haven't had any problems in the 3 years that I've owned the boat.
Old     (leveraged)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-08-2009, 4:16 PM Reply   
awesome. They are the same engine as the sn2001 arent they, PCM 351?? I do like the idea of having more room, especially when you do have alot of ppl or when you dont u can just fill the extra room up with more weight. Can you hook perfect pass up to these boats?? Also million dollar question, is the 1992 f/glass ?? This would be a big plus for me to consider buying as Im a bit hesitant on purchasing a boat this old. Im almost sold on the supra sunsport, are there any other boats I should be looking at ? so much to choose from with the older american skiers no idea if I have skipped over some great ones.

Thanks again,
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-08-2009, 4:34 PM Reply   
Here is a lot newer, all fiberglass boat that will throw a good wake when weighted. It will be small like the Nautique and may need a little more weight than the Nautique but will throw a great wake. It has a very similar hull to the original Xstar/205v/X2/X1. It is just smaller. It is fuel injected has low hours, was kept on a lift it looks like and is good colors. It looks like it is in good shape as well.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/1412477359.html
Old     (elbastardo)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-08-2009, 8:22 PM Reply   
Yes, it's the PCM 351. You can hook up Perfect Pass, but you need to add a paddlewheel unless you just want to run off RPM. The Sunsport changed between '91 and '92, so I imagine all of the '92s are fiberglass just like the'93s. They changed again in '94. Go check newdimensiontowers.com for the different styles. And yes, it is a wider boat, so you would need more weight than a 2001, but it may be worth it if you want space.
Old     (leveraged)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-08-2009, 8:49 PM Reply   
hey what are your thoughts on this one, I think its cheapest to ship out of LA ports to Australia.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1994-Supra-sunsport-95478490

Just trying to get some transport quotes.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-08-2009, 9:37 PM Reply   
I like that one a lot. That is a lot of wakeboard boat for the money. I can't tell if it has been taken that good of care. I would have someone check it out for you.
Old     (leveraged)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-08-2009, 9:48 PM Reply   
yeh its the only one that has popped up so far, I just rang a importer and getting a quote for it, but he told me that getting them from the East coast is alot cheaper for roll on roll of. He said the main ports are at balitmore and savannah so maybe I will start having a look around there. The aussie dollar is looking strong so hopefully can crack a bargain and finally get a boat....the more i look at the supra sunsport the more i love them. The freight company giving me the quote said they can organise everything like mech. checks etc etc.
Old     (bwake)      Join Date: Sep 2009       10-09-2009, 12:46 AM Reply   
hi jeff, ive got a boat on the way (Sanger V210) to new zealand leaving in about 7 days. With our dollars being so high its definitley the way to go. My shipping costs are only around 6k including our customs charges so shop around. Its been a bit of hardwork and if there is only 5k in it id be inclined to buy local.
Old     (leveraged)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-09-2009, 1:44 AM Reply   
sweet, is your importer only NZ or operation in australia? Im eager to see this quote come back ive had a few high ones but from talking to other guys in oz that have imported some say around the 5-6 mark all up. If i could do it for that I would be jumping at some 15k+ boats. My max is 25k so im sure i can get something decent for that. Only thing is once this quote comes back through and if I can afford higher cost of boat then i will have to do this mad research mission again haha. Its worth it though, u guys in america have the best choice of boats...i wish australia were the same the wakeboarding game and boat prices would be so reasonable and would do wonders for the sport.
Old     (bwake)      Join Date: Sep 2009       10-10-2009, 12:19 AM Reply   
Try kiwishipping.co.nz You will need to ring them and speak to Steve. Dont bother sending an email as you wont get a reply.

He might be able to help you.
Old     (leveraged)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-11-2009, 5:37 PM Reply   
Ok if anyone can help me on this would be great.
I need these specs for shipping quote, for a 1994 supra sunsport. I am guessing the trailer and boat details of all the 90's ones dont really change so if I end up changing the particular year of boat I am looking at then these specs shouldnt change dramatically...well hopefully

Length of trailer without boat
Width of trailer without boat
Height of trailer without boat
Weight of trailer without boat

Length of trailer with boat
Width of trailer with boat
Height of trailer with boat
Weight of trailer with boat

I have downloaded the supra manual for the boat and got the basic specs of the actual boat. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       10-11-2009, 6:32 PM Reply   
This may or may not help. This is from my old (sold) 1999 Supra Launch. The 99 Launch is the same hull as the Sunsport.

Trailer without boat:
Width = 8 feet, 8 inches (2.6416 meters)
Length = 22 feet, 4 inches (6.8072 meters)

Width of trailer with boat is the same as the width of the trailer without the boat(for sure)

Height of trailer with boat on it was a little less then 7' with the tower removed from the boat (it fit in a garage with a 7' door with the tower removed).

(Message edited by tre on October 11, 2009)
Old     (blastmaster)      Join Date: Aug 2001       10-11-2009, 7:43 PM Reply   
Jeff:
If you are a serious buyer send me a PM and I will email you a guys ph #. He is in US about every 2-3 months. Comes and buys muscle cars has them taken to Long Beach Ca and shipped over there. No time for any bs or games. He is serious guy but knows how to get it done and has the shippers already in line. I think he would help you out if you buy something and need it shipped.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-12-2009, 10:22 AM Reply   
My antique car was shipped the same way. Guy had a shipping company and when there was room in some cargo containers, he'd go out and buy cars with cash and send out flatbeds. Happened very fast but he had references, cash, and didn't mind a copy of the title till I had cash in hand.

The actual title (ownership papers) will most likely have to travel with the boat. Research what else you need for your shipper like a signed and notorized affidavit stating he has 'power of attorney' over the vessel while shipping. Make copies of everything. Have a copy of the title faxed to you before you purchase the boat. Then a signed and notorized purchase agreement before you exchange money and the title.

Just some tips of purchases in the USA. Others can help out and try to get a local here on WW to visit the boat in person. It'll make the USA seller feel better too.
Old     (leveraged)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-12-2009, 2:52 PM Reply   
cheers for that,
Ive got a few quotes back now which are ok, they could be leaner but it takes alot of the hassle from me off. The only problem im having now is actually finding a boat. I think my limit is around 13.5k US depending on where its shipping from. If the boats near long beach CA its ok but would be cheaper from savannah port or balitmore port. Anyone know of any supra sunsports going? I cant find a thing. Maybe some others in this price range ? Good wake, preferrably no wood construction and a bow rider if possible.
Thanks again guys, everyones been great help.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-12-2009, 3:19 PM Reply   
Jeff, I would strongly consider that Sanger V210 in The Sacramento/SF area. They are only asking 12,500 and I bet you could get it for 11.5 or 12k. It is a vdrive and would be my choice over any of those other boats. It is the second link from the bottom in the post I made with all the links.
Old     (leveraged)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-12-2009, 3:28 PM Reply   
thanks,
i will check it out. Are there any mals in this class that would throw decent wake on par with the sunsport/2001 nautique. Also just checking out some early 90's nautiques, its my understanding they are pretty good throwers also but just require a bit more weight. Any recommendations for the 90's nautiques other then super sport....i think a bit out of price range there.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-12-2009, 3:33 PM Reply   
Stay away from the early 90's ski nautique's. You could look for a sport nautique or Nautique Excel. Not sure what you mean by "are there any mals in this class...."
Old     (leveraged)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-12-2009, 3:40 PM Reply   
malibus. Such as sunsetters etc. The sangers look a bit shallow, do they take much over the top. Any wake shots, ive never really had much of a look at them to be honest. I dont think they are a very big in oz.

(Message edited by leveraged on October 12, 2009)
Old     (leveraged)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-12-2009, 4:24 PM Reply   
Sorry another question, what Tige in this category are good for boarding, there seems to be a decent wakeboard boat in most major brands in all these early year models, but also a good ski boat...just trying to decipher which models are better in each major brand.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-12-2009, 4:30 PM Reply   
Do a Search on Sanger V210 with the search function. They are a little shallow but the bow sits kind of high until you really load them down. They have a deep v so they actually ride really well in rough water. They are very highly regarded on this site and throw an awesome wake. Here is a link to a recent thread with some pics.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/736858.html?1255287573
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-12-2009, 4:31 PM Reply   
There are no Tige's in that price range that will be good for boarding. For a max of 12.5 USD here is what you should be looking for:

Sport Nautique
Malibu Sunsetter
Supra Sunsport
Nautique 2001
Sanger DLX
Sanger V210
Mastercraft 205

(Message edited by polarbill on October 12, 2009)
Old     (leveraged)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-13-2009, 2:19 AM Reply   
I have been searching constantly and came across this one that looks alright, what are ppl's thoughts? Are the direct drive MS prostart 205's any good compared to the vdrives? Ive read a few threads and everyone is pretty happy with the wake they throw. Seems to way to cheap however?

http://au.boats.com/boat-details/Mastercraft-Prostar-205/111502801
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-13-2009, 9:07 AM Reply   
That would be a great boat and if it is already in Australia you will have a bunch of money left over to upgrade it with PP, Tower, plumb in some ballast, custom cover, stereo, racks, etc.....

The 1999 205 is the same hull as the Original Xstar, 205V, X-2 and current X1. It will throw the same wake when loaded correctly. It is just a direct drive. You will have to deal with sacks on the floor but most of the boats you are looking at.
Old     (leveraged)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-13-2009, 3:31 PM Reply   
ok thanks Brett, only other boat I have found that I also like is this

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa/1413612558.html

Are the Air nautiques much different from the sports and super sports? I know that sometimes the hulls of these older boats are the same hulls as the newer "wake" boats, just trying to work out what year models of the supra sunsport, air/sport nautiques, mastercraft 205's that are the best. Of the 3 would the air nautique be the logical choice in wake size?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-13-2009, 4:44 PM Reply   
The air nautique from the late 90's has the same hull as the sport nautique from the same area I believe. I am not sure if that boat is even an air or just a sport nautique with Air graphics. In any case I would take that MC 205 that is in Australia over that Air Nautique seeing how it is newer with less hours and already in Australia.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-13-2009, 4:47 PM Reply   
Nevermind about that boat being in Australia. I see it is in Spokane Washington. That changes things. I would probably rather have the Air Nautique because it should require less weight to get an awesome wake and the colors are better. Also if it is actually an AIR Nautique it may have a built in ballast system.
Old     (leveraged)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-13-2009, 5:00 PM Reply   
cheers,
read a few threads bout the airs, seems they changed there hull quite often around this time. The less weight the better i think, doesnt throwing tonnes of weight in kill fuel efficiency in an already thirsty engine?
Old     (haven)      Join Date: Apr 2003       10-14-2009, 1:52 AM Reply   
Jeff,

that nautique above has same hull as the 210 1996 to 2006. famously great wake. if i were u id be all over it!
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-14-2009, 8:02 AM Reply   
Jeff, I believe the Sport Nautique and REGULAR Air Nautique had the same hull from the early 90's to the early 2000's. This hull is basically the same hull as the Super Air Nautique 210. A legendary hull. In the late 90's Nautique came out with a boat called the PRO Air Nautique which had some cutouts in the side of the hull that were suppose to help it sit deeper in the water or some crap. It ended up not being as a good a wake boat but from what I have heard it was still ok. Basically what I am trying to say is exactly what n starla said. That Air Nautique you posted has the same hull as the Super Air Nautique 210 from 1996-2006.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-14-2009, 12:19 PM Reply   
Here is a great boat for a great price. It already comes with the tower and stereo. It won't require too much weight and it has a locker in the walkway as well as one in the rear to hide ballast. This is a sweet deal.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/1420264597.html
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-14-2009, 12:22 PM Reply   
Here is another nice looking, clean DLX.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/1419922129.html
Old     (leveraged)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-14-2009, 3:03 PM Reply   
in terms of wake size, comfort and boat quality what would be the best out of the MS 205, air nautique, supra sunsport and sangers. Ive been enquiring about a few MS 205's and the air nautiques. There are plenty of them around I just have to find one around the california/washington state area, or savannah and baltimore ports. I have heard that road transport in the states can be very expensive so its best to find one close to the port. Right now my preference is the MS 205, it seems like a good choice in terms of wake size, it has open bow so im happy with that, the late 90's have rear lockers from memory. So I think to make things easier I will keep my eye on the MS 205's and Air nautiques, there just arent any supra's around at the moment and by the looks of it the trailers might be a compliancing nightmare as the beams are fairly wide and im restriced to 2.5 metre wide trailers here.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-14-2009, 3:54 PM Reply   
The late 90's PS205 has a rear locker but the gas tank takes up over half of it. I don't even know if you can fit a sack in there. It might only be able to fit some lead. They are really flat bottom as well so they have a poor rough water ride. They can definitely produce a good wake but it will probably take as much weight as the Sunsport and the sunsport has way more room to hide the weight. The MC is a very well built boat but honestly give similar years, hours and condition would be my last choice.

The late 94-97 sport nauitques/AIR Nautique would be good a good choice but like the 205 have very little room to hide ballast. In 98 they added a rear locker which you could hide some ballast. I would give the edge to the nautique over the 205 because they don't need quite as much ballast as the 205 to make a good wake. Like the MC though the Nautique is a very well made boat. The Nautique may have a slightly better rough water ride as well. Also if the boat has the GT40 motor that is a plus. It is one of if not the best motor ever put in a wakeboat.

The sunsport is a lot bigger/deeper boat than the others. They have a proven wake and you can hide probably close to 2k-2.5k worth of ballast in it pretty easy. It will have a pretty good rough water ride and is so deep you don't have to worry about staying dry or taking water over the bow. I personally don't think they were built quite as well as the other 3 but that is my opinion. If the boat has been taken care that wouldn't keep me away from one. The earlier one's were notorious for wood rot I believe so you may want to do some research on what years went to fiberglass floors and stringers and whether the boat in question has a solid floor and stringer.

The Sanger DLX/Sangair has the same hull as the V210 and is very capable of throwing an awesome wake. You also don't need a ton of weight. These have a deeper V and will cruise through rough water or double ups very nicely. They have the rear locker and a ski locker so you can probably hide close to 1k in ballast and probably only need an additional 500 to throw a great wake. The lockers also provide additional storage when there is no ballast. The only negative I can see with the Sanger is that it is fairly low profile. The boat doesn't need to be slammed as much as the MC or Supra so I don't think is that big of a deal. Plus it looks better.

The Sanger V210 I posted for 12.5 is by far the best boat that has been mentioned. It is a Vdrive, has a lot of storage, good roughwater ride, better seating layout, awesome wake and is a crazy good deal for a vdrive wakeboard boat. Of coarse that is assuming it is in good shape.

I really like that Sanger DLX for under 10k because it has the tower and system already. I think it is a really good deal. The Sanger V210 would probably be my first choice though because it is a vdrive and the best deal in my opinion. If you could find an ealry 90's Sunsport for under 10k that would be solid or a mid 90's for your max price. I think you will have trouble finding a nice Sport nautique in the 98 and on for your price range and same with the MC 205. The 205 in Spokane Washington sounds like it has been neglected some.
Old     (leveraged)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-14-2009, 6:28 PM Reply   
is the sanger dlx pretty much same as the 210??
I am looking into 97 air nautique at the moment, looks to be in good condition. Same hull as 99 on isnt it?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa/1413612558.html

Just finding out the logistics involved getting it to a port.

thanks for write up, cleared alot of issues.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-14-2009, 9:59 PM Reply   
The DLX is the same hull as the V210. One is a direct drive and one is a Vdrive. Check out the Sanger website to get an overhead of what the boats look like inside. They were not as plush back in the day but it gives you an idea of the floor place.

http://sangerboats.com/

Yeah, I believe the 97 and 99 sport/Air Nautiques have the same hull.
Old     (bwake)      Join Date: Sep 2009       10-16-2009, 4:50 AM Reply   
Hi Jeff,

Sorry to rain on your parade but you are going to have some serious issues getting it to Aussie before the start of the summer. My boat has been sitting on the ports in LA for a month now, and another guy i know has had his boat there 2 months.

The shipping companies dropped capacity due to the recession, and now the Kiwi/Aussie dollars rising so quickly vs the US dollar has caused a huge backlog in capacity.

Im looking at December for my boat, so id say you would be January/Feburary??
Old     (leveraged)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-16-2009, 7:54 AM Reply   
Is your boat RO/RO or container. At the moment i think im looking at portland as the closest port. Whos are you dealing with for shipping company. Is it costing you anything to keep it at the port??
Old     (leveraged)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-20-2009, 4:07 PM Reply   
ok guys i need help on this, its between these 2 boats...

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/1424665153.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa/1426081148.html

I like both, the second one is original owner and the boats very clean. The first one however has waketower and speakers, newer model less hours and rear storage locker to hide some weight. Any thoughts, my only drawback on the 1st boat is the pcm v8 not the gt40
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-20-2009, 4:34 PM Reply   
The 98 in the Seattle area looks like it has a carb motor. I had a 2000 moomba mobius V with a carb motor and it ran perfect. I would rather have the 98 personally because it already has the tower, tower speakers and the cover is probably a custom cover that can be used with the tower. You will have to drop almost 4k on the 97 to get that tower, stereo and cover. The 98 also has the rear locker which is nice. The only advantage of the 97 in Cali is the colors and Fuel injected motor.
Old     (leveraged)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-20-2009, 5:14 PM Reply   
the 97 has a cover aswell and i was just going to get a tower put on in oz...and some speakers when i get the money. With the carby motor what are the downfalls??, i know the GT40 engines are the beez neez, would the 98 be more thirsty, louder more problems or service expensse?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-20-2009, 5:50 PM Reply   
The carb motor will probably be a little less fuel efficient and if you are using the boat in cold weather make take a little bit more effort to get started in the morning.
Old     (leveraged)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-20-2009, 6:03 PM Reply   
Ok, i did a little research and found this info.
These engines were available in the 98's;
pcm apex chevy - 320HP
pcm ford gt40 - 310HP
carby ford standard engine - 260 HP
Craby Ford high output - 285 HP

Emailed guy and asked but from that the engine is either 260-285 HP, this would be enough for some decent weight in the boat and boarding with few ppl in it wouldnt it? I would have thought the 260 HP to chew less gas. Its extremely hot where I live, summer is 45+ degrees generally which is 113 Farenheit for you guys, so no problems with the cold weather here. Just a side question, how much do those boat wraps cost? do you know if you can put them on yourself or does it have to be done by pro.
Old     (bwake)      Join Date: Sep 2009       10-21-2009, 1:23 AM Reply   
kiwishipping jeff, in a container, roll on roll off is incredibly expensive.
Old     (leveraged)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-21-2009, 1:48 AM Reply   
i think boat and trailer to big for container, the quotes I have for containers are not much cheaper then the quote i have for RO/RO. personally i prefer the idea of RO/RO, the boats are shrink wrapped and anchored to lugs and stored under boat not on deck. Still need help with this engine, is 260HP going to be enough for me especially when i start weighting it and throwing 7+ ppl in it.
Old     (kystyle)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-21-2009, 7:41 AM Reply   
I had a '95 Sport Nautique with the PCM 351 Pro Boss (Ford). I believe it would be similar to the 285 HP Ford you have listed above. I would run around 2000-2300# typically and the engine had no problems. It is critical that you have the right prop. I upgraded to an ACME prop and it made a big difference. 260hp may do the job with the right prop. Hope this helps.
Old     (leveraged)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-22-2009, 4:02 PM Reply   
im getting dicked around a little with this sport nautique so keeping my options open still. Is there any year model of the sangers to look out for that wont have a decent wake, im looking at 95 onwards. There are so many variations with nautiques and rear ski lockers etc and switching between pro air, airs and sports its hard to keep up with.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-22-2009, 4:38 PM Reply   
All DLX Sangers have the same hull and all V210's have the same hull. The DLX and V210 are actually the same hull. One is a direct drive and the other is a Vdrive. I don't think there are any years of those to stay away from.
Old     (leveraged)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-22-2009, 8:19 PM Reply   
What do you think that 97 sport nautique (black one)is worth, its clean as from the pics I have and was going to get it inspected mechanically/visually on Friday next week. my final offer is around 13.5k is that around the mark for these?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-22-2009, 10:05 PM Reply   
If it is in good shape with low hours that is probably a decent price.
Old     (leveraged)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-22-2009, 10:55 PM Reply   
brett you sound like a big fan of the sangers, u think a sanger would be better choice then the 97 above or a good ms205.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-23-2009, 1:43 PM Reply   
It all depends on the shape of the boat and the options. Sanger's are a great value. You will get better options and probably less hours on a similar boat for a similar price. Here are a couple to call on. One is setup real good for under 10k and has very reasonable hours.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/1432167454.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/1433305135.html
Old     (leveraged)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-23-2009, 5:40 PM Reply   
I just came across this, i never picked it up because i wasnt searching with "ski" in my search. I emailed him and it was actually an air nautique and sold, what a bargain

http://austin.craigslist.org/boa/1429058813.html
Old     (gawabr190)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-23-2009, 7:30 PM Reply   
The Nautique from Austin is just about as good as it gets for $14K.

I was thinking of shipping to Australia...

Shipping to AU now is problematic in part due to the Australian stimulus package that is giving generous incentives for people to insulate their homes. Exports of insulation via ocean container are taking up nearly all ocean freight capacity from the US to AU, as has been pointed out.

If you're shipping in a standard ocean container (20 or 40'), the maximum interior width is about 7'8", not wide enough. Max interior height is a bit less than 8'. A 40' high cube gives you only 1 foot more height, but no more width.

Other options are to ship it on a specialized flat rack or platform container, but then it is not protected from the elements and you're paying more for specialized equipment.

Maybe it's possible to lean a boat at an angle so that it fits within a container (with all fluids drained, tower removed)? Your maximum dimension inside the container, on the diagonal is about 11'8", which is technically wide enough.

Just thinking out loud, I dont know what is routine in terms of "wrapping" up a wakeboat for shipping.
Old     (leveraged)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-23-2009, 8:18 PM Reply   
no idea what your talking about in terms of Australian stimulus package giving ppl to insulate their homes. Im using an importer, I have talked to the importer about delays he has told me they are experiencing no delays as of yet. I know several other ppl doing the same as I without any problems so far, Im not using a container I am doing RO/RO (roll on/roll off) the boat is shrinky wrapped and under cover away from the elements. If i experience any problems i will post them, but as for the australian stimulus package, unless ive missed several months worth of news then i have no idea what you are talking about. There was a cash injection stimulus but that was at the start of the year and has nothing to do with homes.
Old     (bwake)      Join Date: Sep 2009       10-23-2009, 8:32 PM Reply   
hi jeff, it sounds like you have your head firmly entrenched in the sand. ive told you there are delays and someone else has yet you dont seem to think there are???? my boats been sitting a month and another guy i know has had his sitting 2 months. btw the ships go to new zealand before australia as well!
to get the boats in containers they tilt them on an angle and either cut or remove the wheel covers.

go and purchase a boat, but definitley look further into port delays as you may be dissapointed it takes ages to arrive.

btw i wasnt told of any delays either untill my boat was sitting in the shipping yard.
Old     (leveraged)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-23-2009, 8:56 PM Reply   
yeh in a previous thread i asked you what type of shipping are you using container or RO/RO. Im not going in a container, im using RO/RO, the importer I am using who I called yesterday said there were still no delays as of yesterday....so yes my head maybe firmly entrenched in the sand but I am just going off the company that I using have told me, and I know 2 other guys who I have spoken to in the last week that have used the exact same shipping company as me without and delays. I also asked in a previous post what costs are being incurred to you by having it sit at the port? Im really not worried how long it takes to get here as long as I get a good deal. I will just keep going with it because if i sit around waiting i will never end up doing it. Maybe its different with container ships and the ships they use for RO/RO, havent heard of the ones im using going to NZ first.
Old     (leveraged)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-27-2009, 1:23 AM Reply   
would there be any centurions in my price range maybe around 14's. What models are decent wakeboard models, i found a ski centurion elite V drive that looks nice.
Old     (oshelton)      Join Date: Oct 2001       10-27-2009, 8:31 PM Reply   
Jeff, There may be issues with using the U.S. trailer upon which you are shipping the boat. Some differences of which I am aware: US = 2" coupler, Aust = 50mm; US = surge brakes, Aust = electric or electric hydraulic; US = 102" width limit, Aust = 2.5m (98.4"); US = combined brake/turn lamps, Aust = red brake and amber turn lamps; US = a brick behind the tire, Aust = mechanical parking brake. These are a few differences the RTA may have issues with.
Old     (leveraged)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-27-2009, 9:33 PM Reply   
Isnt 2" = 50mm, but will need to look into coupler still.
Not sure about the brakes on the ones I am looking at but need to look into it.
The trailers are 2.498 metres outside fender to fender so I think this will be ok.
Brake lights I know you can pick up from car shops like autobarn and supacheap auto for the trailers will just need to fit them. Not sure about the parking break side but I don't recall ever having to do it with any other boats?

Thanks for the heads up though, will keep looking into these issues.
Old     (oshelton)      Join Date: Oct 2001       10-28-2009, 6:14 AM Reply   
Yeah, the difference between 2" and 50mm is 0.8mm, but apparently this can be an issue. Possibly it has more to do with the the description required to be stamped into the coupler housing and test certification more than the physical size of the coupler. Parking brakes may be required on trailers built after 2006. Older trailers are exempt. I don't know how that is applied to older trailers that are imported. We export trailers to Australia and have been continuously "evolving" the trailers to meet these requirements. One of our dealers correctly pointed out that we may be able to get trailers into Australia without meeting all of these requirements. However, if an accident occurs and the trailer is found not to comply there could be legal and financial repercussions for the owner.
Old     (leveraged)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-28-2009, 2:31 PM Reply   
thanks owen, Once I purchase a boat I will have a good look into it. I know of a few guys here in aus that still have the original trailers of there early nautiques so hopefully there is hope for me. If not I guess I will just have to buy one.
Old     (oshelton)      Join Date: Oct 2001       10-28-2009, 7:34 PM Reply   
Hopefully the width won't be an issue for you since a lot of the 90's boats are not as wide as today. If you end up needing to convert the brake system to electric, add parking brake, install a certified coupler check with Ride Australia. They'll have the components and are pretty handy at retrofitting trailers. Good luck.