Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-11-2009, 10:11 PM Reply   
Yo guys I have an 05 Yellow loogey and my buddy just snapped a fin on it the other day so now I cant ride for a bit. Anyone have suggestions about another fin that works well or where I could get a replacement?
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-11-2009, 10:15 PM Reply   
I would just contact Inland and see what they say. You may be able to buy one direct
Old    surfdad            06-12-2009, 5:01 AM Reply   
Yeah - hit IS first, they are pretty good with supplies. I believe that the 2005 Yellow still used o'fish'l fins, before switching to the Cobra/NSP/IS fin system (which was in '07?).

That was before o'fish'l switched to their current base, so it would be the "original" or Z Clip fins.

O'fish'l has a website and you can purchase from them directly and I believe that they sell individual left and/or right fins OR if you want different fins (remember original):

CAUTION: I'm going off memory here, so verify before you buy, please!

http://www.ofishl.com/fins/original.html
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-12-2009, 7:44 AM Reply   
Yeah those look like em thanx man

Any suggestions on other possible fins? I dont really know much about fins so anything you got helps.
Old    surfdad            06-12-2009, 8:59 AM Reply   
Generally speaking...IS doesn't use any toe or cant in their fin positions which will provide down-the-line speed, but reduces responsiveness rail-to-rail and also stiffens up the tail compared to fin positions with toe and cant. The fins used on that model yellow loogey are longboard side bites, which have a single outside foil (the inside is flat).

I believe the Loogey came with the SS 3.25" depth fins. The RR's are 2 7/8" so if you want to loosen up the tail, that would be a good bet. If you want the tail a little stiffer, the TT fins are 3.75" depth but I think that's basically your choices, with one exception.

Running a double foil fin (the inside is curved outward not flat) will help loosen up the tail without requiring you to go to a smaller fin. Which will give you the looseness of a smaller fin without sacrificing the drive of the larger fin. I believe the 3-0 and 3-3 thruster trailers are double foiled. The 3-3 is 3.75 and might be an interesting replacement for the 3.25 SS's - more drive than the 3.25, but about as loose.

That's what I'd look into:

1) SS direct replacement
2) RR's for looser tail with less drive
3) TT's for stiffer tail with more drive
4) 3-3's for more drive, but a similar feel in the tail
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-12-2009, 12:32 PM Reply   
Dang man you realllyyy know you stuff! thanx for that that was really helpful.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-12-2009, 2:05 PM Reply   
Sorry I'm such a noob with this. The 3-3's sound good but Im having trouble ordering the right ones. I dont know what to put for "choose your cant out".
Old    surfdad            06-12-2009, 2:34 PM Reply   
Cant? I thought the 3-3's were the thruster trailer, which would be double foiled, so I got that wrong. If those aren't double foiled, you won't gain the characteristics I noted above. Again going from memory, which by itself is scary :-) , those 3-3's might be double foiled as a quad trailer - do check before plunking down any cash. At least I got the "trailer" part correct! :-)

Cant is the angle of the base of the fin to the tip as it angles out towards the rails. Increasing the cant leads to a more responsive board through turns, while decreasing the cant makes the board faster, down-the-line.

They come in 4, 6 and 8 degrees right? 4 would be the fastest down-the-line and 8, the most responsive in turns. If those are double foiled, I'd stick with the 4 degree. If they aren't DF'ed, skip them.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-12-2009, 3:13 PM Reply   
haha no worries thats a lot of info based off of memory. thanks for the help man you're great!
Old    surfdad            06-13-2009, 5:47 AM Reply   
You're welcome. I just checked the o'fish'l website and it's so marginal, sheesh. It's worth a call to those folks to verify what you're getting. I've talked with them in the past and they were pretty helpful.