Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 03, 2009

Old     (jamie392)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-25-2009, 7:56 PM Reply   
I am overwhelmed trying to buy a board. I want to get one new board, right now I have a O'brien Diesel that I think is about 137.

I'm looking at the hyperlite boards but open to any others. I want something really stable, that gets good pop but maintains control well... One that edges really well. I'm really not sure, I'm not that great but plan on getting good this summer, I can easily clear the wake and do front side 180;s and hopefully this summer i'll get 360's down and maybe backflips etc. Anyways I look at a million boards and they are expensive so I just want to get something recommended. I'm sure they will all be good!

Thanks
Jamie
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-25-2009, 8:06 PM Reply   
get the liquid force shane...great pop, super soft landings and great edge-hold. while you're at it, get the shane bindings, too. they're cushy comfy!
Old     (tl_hereford)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-25-2009, 8:08 PM Reply   
CWB Marius or Absolute love both of them. buy a new 08 and save some coin.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-25-2009, 8:17 PM Reply   
Stick with The Big "O" and get the Decade! Super smooth and stable, pops like mad and lands really soft. It's also one the fastest 3 stage boards around, less drag means longer riding time and more fun!
Old     (jasonpav)      Join Date: Dec 2008       03-25-2009, 8:57 PM Reply   
+1 for marius and absolute
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-25-2009, 9:20 PM Reply   
+1 for Liquid Force Watson
Old     (tommmyd)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-26-2009, 3:15 AM Reply   
At your level most likely anything that is not made for beginners you will learn to ride... if you have a friend that has a 3 stage rocker style board that you could try sometimes, maybe get a more hybrid or continuous rocker style that both of you can try and then maybe you'd learn that one suits you better, or try a flex board. If I were you I would buy two older/used boards of different styles so you could learn more about what fits you. Good luck but really don't fret about it to much, anyone can learn to ride most boards after a few rides. Just don't buy the old hyperlite parks... way to aggressive for your level, but could probably be found cheap.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-26-2009, 7:59 AM Reply   
LF WATSON definatly
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-26-2009, 8:08 AM Reply   
Hey Jamie; I ride a WATSON 142. I am a beginner to intermediate rider. I don't jump due to a blow knee. The board cuts awesome and ollie's great. My son David ride a Lyman 139 and he says he gets better pop and cutting with my board, probably because it is bigger i am guessing. You will not be disappointed if you get the Watson.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       03-26-2009, 8:22 AM Reply   
I have to agree with Jakober, get a Decade that this is SICK! Toss some Watkins Decade boots and it and you are big pimping!
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-26-2009, 9:20 AM Reply   
Do you have a local shop? They probably are trying to close out some gear from previous year(s) and you could score a great deal. My shop had '06 bindings yesterday for $10, '07 for $50, and '08 for $100. Granted, the 'typical sizes' were scarce, but still, you might get lucky.

(Message edited by helix_rider on March 26, 2009)
Old     (drknute3)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-26-2009, 12:41 PM Reply   
Beginner here. Went through the same torture last year getting a new board. Rode about 10 different boards and loved the CWB Absolute 141. It was the best compromise for what I wanted. My skill level is w2w hs and ts and ts 180 in addition to some surface tricks and riding switch so pretty limited bag. Riding the faction bindings on the absolute.

(Message edited by drknute3 on March 26, 2009)
Old     (jamie392)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-26-2009, 6:15 PM Reply   
Ok thanks i'll look into all those. What about a hyperlite premier? I found one last years model new with bindings for 270... Seems like a good price. Some of those other ones i'm looking at over 500. Which I will pay if it means a huge difference :-)
Old     (jasonpav)      Join Date: Dec 2008       03-26-2009, 7:13 PM Reply   
If you are looking for good prices, check the close outs on boardersmall.com or buywake.com, check your local boardshops also, or someone else can tell you about other good sites
http://boardersmall.com/xcart/home.php?cat=280&partner=bm
http://www.buywake.com/
Old     (dh03r6)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-26-2009, 8:32 PM Reply   
1 more for watson
Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-27-2009, 6:12 AM Reply   
Jamie, it really depends what kind of ride you're looking to get. I've ridden the Diesel, although it was way to small for me, and it has a super aggressive 3stage rocker...lots of vertical pop.
I'm ridding the LF Witness now and think that it's fantastic. A good all around board.
So...what sort of ride are you looking for?
Charging at the wake, pop to the flats, up pop, lots of speed, quick response...???
Old     (jamie392)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-27-2009, 2:27 PM Reply   
I'm really still just learning. I want good pop and a nice stable ride. I'm looking to do some 360's and stuff this summer. I don't want to spend a rediculous amount on a board right now either because i'm not 100% sure what I will like... Maybe a nice wide board... I'm 5'11 190lbs... Not really sure what the right size is, i would think between 135-140 is fine.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       03-27-2009, 3:20 PM Reply   
Hyperlite Murray 08 or 09, one of the best shapes on the market for all levels of riding IMO.
Great pop, edges really well, lands nice.

CWB Absolute is another great choice, great all around board.

Good luck with your search, if you can demo boards, then demo,demo,demo.

Size wise you need to be on a 140cm and up, 135 is to small IMO.

(Message edited by innov8 on March 27, 2009)