Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 06, 2008

Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-10-2008, 6:47 AM Reply   
Whats the deal with epics? how come no one has them? or it seems like no one has them. We are starting to look at them as well as bu's but i just feel like no one has epics, and they look like they throw a fat a$$ wakeboard and surf wake. Do they have a tendency to have problems or something? or is it just that a lot of people dont know who they are because they dont advertise like MC or BU does. I think they are really cool and interesting boats I just wanna know why not many people have them. And if any of you have advice about them that might somewhat important that would be awesome, thanks guys.
Old     (jmv)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-10-2008, 8:04 AM Reply   
I heard there's some minor fixing on the boat and a major overhaul in management, after that they should be producing nice boats.
Old     (mcmillanman5)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-10-2008, 8:06 AM Reply   
There is a dealer near me that has had a couple of Epics. I have had a chance to crawl around in one to check it out. Here are a couple of my thoughts.

Pros:
Speakers built into the transom is way cool.

Amount of ballast the boat can hold is a plus.

I generally like the overall shape and looks of the boat.

Cons:
I didn't like the feel of the drivers seat.

In the boat I was in it seemed to me that there were a few things that just looked unfinished. If you lift up the observer seat and look at the bottom of the glovebox it was raw unfinished fiberglass, granted this was a little thing but for the money they want for an epic that should be covered with carpet or finished fiberglass. There were a few other areas like this.

I absolutely hate the stuff they put down on the floor of the boat. The foam I saw didn't look to be holding up very well, it looked dirty and showed signs of wear (cuts, scrapes, etc). I asked the salesman about it and he said they could install a new foam floor for something like a few hundred dollars. Why they didn't do snapout carpet is beyond me.

Overall I think the Epic looks to be a decent boat. I have not had the chance to ride behind one yet but look forward to it. We have looked at alot of boats and my advice is to go and look at the different boats. Get in them and really give them a good look. Next is water demo the boats you are considering.

I don't think that the Epic can compare to the quality of a Malibu. The overall finish of the Malibu seems superior, but that is just my personal opinion. Perhaps Epic will continue to improve, they are after all a new company. I would venture to say that the majority of boat builders have gotten better with time and experience.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-10-2008, 11:01 AM Reply   
Hey thanks dude, Yeah thats what i thought too the inside looked a little outta date and unfinished or something, i think the dash looks like its off of an old supra or something i dont know. But yeah it definitely cant compare to a BU in fit and finish but its kinda cool to own a rare boat that maybe focuses on function not look as mcuch and one that no one really knows about that can throw a fat wake from the pics ive seen on their myspace. Anyone ridden behind one? We talked to a rep and he said they will be throwing tower speakers on as well as the transom ones, does anyone have experience with that?
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-10-2008, 6:00 PM Reply   
That sounds like an awesome boat. I personally don't need (or want) a carpeted glovebox, or floors, as long as they're non slip and last a while. Sounds like recovering them would be easy as too, strip off the old foam and lay down some new stuff when it gets trashed. I was perfectly happy with bare fibreglass floors in the fishing boat we used to ride behind.

If I was looking at a new boat I'd be more focused on paying for the motor, the hull, and the ballast system primarily, basically the important parts that make the wake what it is, as well as the look of the boat, which I reckon Epic has nailed, especially some of those wrapped boats, sick as.

Some of the early boats had problems with oil starvation destroying motors, I think they've switched from the Volvo engines to an American big block now though.

They also have a sweet website, which may not be 100% original but it stands out to me.

http://www.epicboats.com/

(Message edited by jtnz on August 10, 2008)
Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-11-2008, 10:02 AM Reply   
the foam flooring is designed to make the boat easy to keep clean. the boat has two drains in the rear, so you just hose off the floor to clean it.

we upgraded our promo boat with tower speakers , and an addtional 10" sub behind the observers seat. sounds awesome.

Upload
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-11-2008, 11:18 AM Reply   
Rod, were the transom speakers not enough! You could get some bullet hollow point 650's with out the cans and throw them in the stock transom locations.
Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-11-2008, 11:23 AM Reply   
the clarion system while okay for most , is not enough for me. this is our promo boat so i want it sound awesome. great idea on the hollow points, i actually have some i can use.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-12-2008, 4:41 AM Reply   
Hey rod its Colin Hambling, Peters son. He said he talked to you not long ago about coming down to check out the factory and a boat. We have an x-star with 4 pro 80's, a ws 420, and an image dynamics IDQ that we just put in about a month ago. Will 4 pro 80's be able to fit on that tower? and is there a spot for the 12in IDQ? as well as the 420?
Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-12-2008, 6:57 AM Reply   
oh yeah, plenty of room
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-12-2008, 9:14 AM Reply   
To me from what I've read (never been in/seen one) the Epic's seem to be a John Deere tractor. They serve one purpose and are very utilitarian. I'm sure they do that one thing very well and maybe better than any other boat but I still need a boat to have some creature comforts. I want it to look good inside and out. The exterior of the Epic looks awesome but the interior seems to be very lack luster just a lot of seating and a steering wheel. Am I wrong?
Old     (dh03r6)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-12-2008, 2:19 PM Reply   
rod some interior shots?
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-14-2008, 12:13 AM Reply   
Yeah that would be great, also any goofy side surf wakes and wakeboard wakes would be awesome too
Old     (txrider)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-14-2008, 11:14 AM Reply   
Here's a few from last winter and one from lake austin with the graphics off. The surf wake is stock ballast and I believe five people in the boat.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-14-2008, 11:52 AM Reply   
Hey Rod,
Good job barefootin on tuesday!
Andy
Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-14-2008, 12:06 PM Reply   
thanks Andy, That was a fun time!

here is a wake pic. Sac river, 2 passengers, 4000lbs ballast full, trim @ 3/4.

Upload
Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-14-2008, 12:08 PM Reply   
interior shots...

Upload

Upload

Upload
Old     (watersnake)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-14-2008, 4:51 PM Reply   
Rider is @ 85' in the pic on the river.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-14-2008, 6:11 PM Reply   
dayyuummmm that wake is fat dude, i love the surf wake and the wakeboard wake. That is effin massive
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       08-15-2008, 8:33 AM Reply   
i like everythig from the pics, even the foam look. But I'm not feelin the dash at all. Very simple and plain looking. I would def look to buy one if i needed to run 4k in ballast to complete tricks bit since im just a very basic rider i dont need all that its just a waste of gas and money. ut if i was dope i'd prob get that over a star.
Old     (joran)      Join Date: May 2008       08-15-2008, 2:30 PM Reply   
On that pic with the rider at 80 on the river, do you know how fast you were going? And the water depth, cause less than about 15 feet and the wake is smaller. Had a major problem with that on the Wabash here in indy, ran through parts only 4 foot deep and had basically no wake all the sudden for a few hundred yards.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-15-2008, 3:23 PM Reply   
Nick, the purpose of this boat is for the "core rider" the simplicity of the dash, foam floor, less seams in the upholstery, durability opposed to plush etc... is all so you spend more time riding than... detailing the boat...

You can abuse this boat... pressure wash it down and ride again...

I don't know if I would want to do that to the new BU or Tige or SAN dashes with all of the electronics...

If you like cool looking... then the BU or MC dashes are way cool!
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-15-2008, 4:05 PM Reply   
In 4ft of depth all wakes are small or just a huge trough. As most of you have seen my Son Tony Carroll just signed with Epic and we are leaving our Malibu. Will I miss all the carpet? No. Will I miss hauling around 1200lbs of lead? No. Will I miss filling the floor with a huge 600lb fat sack? No. Does this boat make a great wake on our 6ft deep private lake? About 2 times the size of our Malibu. Our boat will be here soon. The only reason I dont have one now is I have to dump the Bu because I dont want to be a 2 boat family with insurance and storage fees. The dash works great and the Smart Tow GPS speed control is Money. This boat is a work horse and designed to be so. Here is the video I posted before. Take a look at the wake and remember this lake is 6.5 ft at the deepest point and several points are only 5 ft. I already got yelled at for only showing heelside tricks so dont hate.
http://www.wakepics.com/video/22382/tony-carroll-epic-23v
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-16-2008, 9:06 PM Reply   
To sign more and more riders and give away more and more boats... damn... Epic is kicking some a$$... making some big coin to have such a big advertising budget!
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-16-2008, 10:21 PM Reply   
real nice kyle
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       08-16-2008, 10:52 PM Reply   
he hate me I know the target for the boat. Read my thread again! I dont detail my boat cause i work all day then come home and ride everyday. If you use your boat 6 days a week whats the purpose of being a clean freak. I just said they dash could be better. All boats have small things someone may not like but you buy a boat for the wake and performance.
Old     (hcal)      Join Date: May 2008       08-18-2008, 8:00 AM Reply   
HeHateMe,
How would you know what they spend on advertising? Stop acting like you know everything about Epic when you are completely out of the loop.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-19-2008, 2:11 PM Reply   
calm down children.... everythings gonna be okay