Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ifishok)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-17-2014, 6:43 PM Reply   
So North Korea tells us we are not allowed to watch this movie, and Sony agrees and pulls it. If they didn't pull it, would you go see it knowing about the threat?
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-17-2014, 7:12 PM Reply   
I wouldn't fear seeing it either but that doesn't matter. Five of the largest theater chains said they weren't going to feature it not wanting to risk reprisal. If I ran one of those chains I'd make the same decision. Its probably hyperbole coming from this hacker group but better safe than sorry.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-17-2014, 8:16 PM Reply   
I was thinking that "this has to be the best marketing of all time"
It's a B movie but all this Free media and intrest has drawen attention the likes no one could pay for has to play in their favor. They said they would make it a Pay-Per- View.
I now want to see it.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       12-18-2014, 12:05 AM Reply   
I'd see it. Trailer doesn't look too bad.

It will leak and we'll all be watching it at home.
Old     (sppeders)      Join Date: Jul 2011       12-18-2014, 6:27 AM Reply   
Funny how this is what pushed them over the edge... South park, Team America... Years of ripping on their leadership and suddenly this Rogan film is too much?
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       12-18-2014, 7:26 AM Reply   
I don't think DPRK is behind the attack. It is just too over the top. I think it was someone else with a vendetta against Sony, had inside information of their network structure, and used North Korea as a scapegoat once speculation began.

http://www.wired.com/2014/12/evidenc...-hack-is-thin/
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-18-2014, 9:45 AM Reply   
China: what a bunch of snakes. A 60 mins program I saw said that there are 2 types of company's in the US that are in business today.

Company "A" that knows they have been hacked by china
Company "B" that dosent yet know they have been hacked by china

Yup these bastards don't want to invent crap. All they want to do is hack into other company's and steel their Technology and reproduce it.

Another report I saw said that they found malware from China designed to interrupt or shut down our power grid. Sort of a Trojan horse. Planted there by China sitting dormant waiting for them to flip the switch. I don't understand how this is not perceived as an act of war or terrorism and not treated as such.
Attached Images

Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       12-18-2014, 10:03 AM Reply   
That would be a bit hypocritical, wouldn't it Grant? I think we are content to keep this kind of "warfare" on all sides quiet for the time being.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-18-2014, 10:12 AM Reply   
I was really excited for the movie.. I wanted to see it in theaters for sure and not just at home. I am extremely disappointed.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-18-2014, 11:42 AM Reply   
The interview gets cancelled but Team America was ok?

I just can't believe Sony folded. To me I think it's stupid to think something was going to happen if a theater was to show the movie.

PS. Is that guy using a piece of carpet under the mouse?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-18-2014, 12:25 PM Reply   
Wes: I guess if the US is "as pure as the driven snow" and has never hacked or done anything remotely shady against china , I might have a leg to stand on but Im sure if all things were exposed we have been probably been peeking in on them. So I see your point.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       12-18-2014, 1:21 PM Reply   
Netflix won't touch it for a while but I'm sure it will end up out in the public. Best marketing ever for a so-so flick. too bad we'll never know box office #s

Last edited by denverd1; 12-18-2014 at 1:30 PM.
Old     (ifishok)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-18-2014, 1:26 PM Reply   
Nope, Team America was pulled by Paramount. Some theatres in Texas was going to show it on place of the one that got cancelled.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-18-2014, 3:17 PM Reply   
Funny a buddy and I had the same discussion about marketing this morning.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-18-2014, 3:20 PM Reply   
I want to hate them but they have such sweet hats. Do they have an online shop?
Old     (onthecreek)      Join Date: Apr 2013       12-18-2014, 4:09 PM Reply   
Interesting situation from just about any angle. They've paid the actors, union workers, vendors, etc. Sony will likely make less waiting and sharing revenue with streaming services. If they released the movie and there had been attacks on theaters that's terrible PR. Caving to N Korea is already terrible PR (I don't think it was them either). Having their emails exposed hasn't been good.

How does Sony get out of this without getting their butt handed to them?
Old     (Ewok01)      Join Date: Apr 2013       12-18-2014, 10:20 PM Reply   
Sony doesn't get out of this without getting their butts handed to them, but they didn't have to cave to a little boy leader. I figured once they determined it was N Korea the threats wouldn't be taken seriously. Maybe they should just move all their headquarters to France.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       12-18-2014, 11:04 PM Reply   
Sony is going to get screwed no matter how you slice. Unfortunately, they opted to make the leaders of North Korea happy and piss off a lot of Americans rather than the other way around. This is going to hurt them bad. I think they would have been better off pissing off the North Koreans and bringing a whole lot of Americans to a movie that was probably really cheap to make and doesn't look that great from the commercials.

I think Mitt Romney had the best idea. Make the movie available for free download and ask for a donation of $5 to go towards fighting Ebola. Boom. Problem solved.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       12-18-2014, 11:31 PM Reply   
I work with Chinese engineers every day. They are great workers. Very smart. Very compliant.

I spend a week in Shanghai every year. The are good people that work very hard to bring their families a better life. When I visit they go out of their way to make me feel welcome.

Shanghai is huge modern city with a zillion young people more educated and more motivated than your average American. I ride the subway daily to work finding no crime and no homeless. Nothing but huge volumes of people willing to put in a honest day of work.

99% of the cars are made in China because you will pay dearly in taxes for an import (e.g. Porsche Cayenne cost $150K). Yes, unlike our stupid country, they play the game aggressively and they protect their workers.

My guess -- China will be leaving us in the dust because...
1) our growing underclass of uneducated dopes/thugs
2) our politicians will eagerly sell us out to the highest bidder.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       12-18-2014, 11:42 PM Reply   
Agreed Dane.

Plus Sony is not an American company. Their star is fading at home but in many ways they still ARE Japan, and a big target. And Japan is a lot closer to NoKo's blustery crazy than we are.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-19-2014, 5:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeworld View Post

I think Mitt Romney had the best idea. Make the movie available for free download and ask for a donation of $5 to go towards fighting Ebola. Boom. Problem solved.
Seems like a terrible idea.

Give away the rights to a movie worth millions, not smart business. It appears to be an average movie at best, but is getting more publicity than a mega hit. There are millions of people who are going to search out and watch this movie, that never would have without all this hyperbole. It's going to sell & it's going to make money. Now they just need to figure out how to maximize that.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-12-2015, 6:50 PM Reply   
Hilarious movie. I laughed my ass off.