Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (BABzUSA)      Join Date: Jan 2018       02-24-2018, 12:34 PM Reply   
I see a lot of threads on Wake World and on other forums about tow vehicles. But they usually are with the mindset of doing a fair amount of towing. What about those who don't need to tow very often?

Here is the situation I'm dealing with. I have a 2015 F350 Platinum. Incredible truck. My love for the truck itself makes this a hard move. But I'm seriously considering downsizing. When I first bought my RZ4 I was towing it to other lakes fairly often. But now, we've recently added a dock to our family home on Lake Travis. The property also has its own ramp. While I like having the ability to take the boat anywhere. The reality is the boat hardly ever sees another lake these days.

If I were to do this, these would be my new requirements.

1) Main priority. Being able to pull the boat out of the water and move it up near the house via the ramp for cleaning, maintenance, etc.

2) Towing roughly a mile for gas to save some coin over the cost of marina stations.

3) Towing roughly 10 miles for dealer maintenance.

2 & 3 are actually not absolute requirements as I could fill the boat via other means and the dealer does lake visits.

There are many advantages to not having to keep and daily drive the f350. The only real disadvantage here is losing the ability to go to other lakes. That being said, Lake Austin is the only other lake that really offers attraction over Travis for me because its so close. It just offers a change every once in awhile. The closest Lake Austin ramp is only about 10 miles away. So anything that satisfies all 3 points above would most likely make it to Lake Austin.

Are any of you out there in similar situations? How are you tackling this issue?
Old     (SoulSurfer)      Join Date: Oct 2016       02-24-2018, 1:25 PM Reply   
What are you thinking of using to tow if you get rid of the F350? How much does your boat weigh, on the trailer?
Old     (Surfer101)      Join Date: Oct 2015       02-24-2018, 1:45 PM Reply   
If my memory serves me right on Tige owners weren't you in the market for a pretty large cruiser? Unless you're batting financially there would be no way id get rid of the tow vehicle. Go find yourself a fun little daily driver and keep your ford. Make a point of driving the truck on weekends just to keep it moving adn get a car for the week days.
This would be my choice, even found one local to you. https://austin.craigslist.org/cto/d/...478069936.html
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       02-24-2018, 2:12 PM Reply   
An RZ4 is going to be north of 7000 lbs on the trailer. It might touch 8000 full of fuel. You could drop to a half ton, but not any further.

When you get to the 24's you almost NEED a 3/4 ton or better for regular towing.
Old     (BABzUSA)      Join Date: Jan 2018       02-24-2018, 2:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulSurfer View Post
What are you thinking of using to tow if you get rid of the F350? How much does your boat weigh, on the trailer?
I have not had it on a scale. But judging from others who have I would put it in the 7k range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer101 View Post
If my memory serves me right on Tige owners weren't you in the market for a pretty large cruiser? Unless you're batting financially there would be no way id get rid of the tow vehicle. Go find yourself a fun little daily driver and keep your ford. Make a point of driving the truck on weekends just to keep it moving adn get a car for the week days.
This would be my choice, even found one local to you. https://austin.craigslist.org/cto/d/...478069936.html
Yes and the cruiser is most likely still coming. I need to update the TO thread. But, in short, after doing some research a trailer just does not make sense for the cruiser. Therefore it is not involved with the tow vehicle.

In an ideal world I would keep the 350 to just sit there until needed. But, it seems like an awful waste for a 50k truck to just sit there.
Old     (BABzUSA)      Join Date: Jan 2018       02-24-2018, 2:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardman74 View Post
An RZ4 is going to be north of 7000 lbs on the trailer. It might touch 8000 full of fuel. You could drop to a half ton, but not any further.

When you get to the 24's you almost NEED a 3/4 ton or better for regular towing.
Yup, a lot of people don't realize how much these boats weight. I can't count how many times someone hasn't believed me on it weighing north of 7k.
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       02-24-2018, 2:30 PM Reply   
RZ4 is approx 5000pounds (4 700 exactly) dry so mostly 7k with trailer, tank half and little accessories, 8 000 is a little bit exaggerated I think..

Thing is, truck loving is a hard thing to forget haha.. like boats, when you go bigger it’s hard to downgrade.

Most 1500 trucks will tow 7,000 lbs. Most of them tow 7- 9 000lbs (with the tow package). So yeah they can do the job.
I always had 1500 chevy. If you don’t tow it often it will be ok but may be hard on ramps. Even more if they are on crushed rocks or soil.
But it will be capable.

For me it was for that I changed for a Sierra HD diesel (2500). Up here most ramp are steep and soil or crushed rocks so more torque was a good thing.
I tow my boat few times per summer but even if I tow it 6- 7 times it’s worth for me and now I will never go back to 1500 haha..

Towing a 230 (wich is mostly same weight, 4 600) I never been unable to do it with a f150 V8. Some times kind of a pain in the a** like I said but never unable.
It’s up to your preferences.

Last edited by Mike88; 02-24-2018 at 2:38 PM. Reason: Tapping
Old     (Surfer101)      Join Date: Oct 2015       02-24-2018, 2:43 PM Reply   
I wouldn't be surprised if your rz4 loaded up with gear and trailer would be in the 8000 range. These boats are built like tanks and weigh like one too. One of our local surf camps one of the local dealers brought a rzx3 over the mountains with an f150 with a leveling kit and over 300km of driving with he was on empty upon arrival. And ohh boy was that thing a sqautin.

My father is the sanpon tool guy, so he constantly gets the mechanic complaints and the biggest one I always here is HD diesel trucks having problems from not being used to there potential and warmed up causing everything to get all clogged up. So maybe take your f350 and trade it in on a used HD gasser and a nice daily.

Just my two cents.
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       02-24-2018, 2:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer101 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if your rz4 loaded up with gear and trailer would be in the 8000 range. These boats are built like tanks and weigh like one too. One of our local surf camps one of the local dealers brought a rzx3 over the mountains with an f150 with a leveling kit and over 300km of driving with he was on empty upon arrival. And ohh boy was that thing a sqautin.

My father is the sanpon tool guy, so he constantly gets the mechanic complaints and the biggest one I always here is HD diesel trucks having problems from not being used to there potential and warmed up causing everything to get all clogged up. So maybe take your f350 and trade it in on a used HD gasser and a nice daily.

Just my two cents.
Good point tho. Diesel need to be used (I use it to tow my trailer for work) but only use it twice a year may be not the best idea. gas may be a better and even if it tank more and tow less for 2 times a year it’s not a big deal
Old     (patrick232)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-25-2018, 7:12 AM Reply   
I'm thinking of trading the 15 2500HD Duramax down to a 1500 crew cab with 6.2 liter and new 8 speed. Getting tired of the daily ride to have a killer TV for a few thousand miles a year. Back in 2012-2014 we tried to keep the 06 duramax around by adding a third company car for sales call and reduce the seat time in the Duramax. As others said that's when things started going wrong, but it could have also been milage as it was between 150k and 190k at the time. The half tons today are getting much better than a decade or so ago. The only weak link is still the brakes I think, the new big brembos from GM should fix this concern

Last edited by patrick232; 02-25-2018 at 7:16 AM.
Old     (CPanner)      Join Date: May 2015       02-25-2018, 8:04 AM Reply   
You liked your F350. Get an F150.
Old     (BABzUSA)      Join Date: Jan 2018       02-25-2018, 1:55 PM Reply   
Great replies in here. My front runners right now are a V10 Excursion and a same era Suburban or Tahoe. These fit the bill of being pretty cheap (around 5k) and being able to comfortably pull the RZ4 when needed.

This is a bit out there. But I actually was researching some kind of tractor. Thinking that could get me by getting the boat in and out of the water. But its seems anything that will safety do the job is more expensive than the other options.
Old     (Blamey)      Join Date: Apr 2016       02-25-2018, 3:11 PM Reply   
Tractors certainly make great launch vehicles but it don't think you need that unless your ramp is crazy steep or something.

Anybody here have issues at ramps with a V8?

I just can't see any of the vehicles mentioned having a problem pulling these boats out of the water.

If there is a problem is more likely to be a grip issue so tires and 4x4 would be the solution not a bigger truck.
Old     (BABzUSA)      Join Date: Jan 2018       02-25-2018, 3:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blamey View Post
Tractors certainly make great launch vehicles but it don't think you need that unless your ramp is crazy steep or something.

Anybody here have issues at ramps with a V8?

I just can't see any of the vehicles mentioned having a problem pulling these boats out of the water.

If there is a problem is more likely to be a grip issue so tires and 4x4 would be the solution not a bigger truck.
It is almost always a grip issue. But it really just depends on the ramp. 2wd on our personal ramp usually doesn't give you any issues. But at public ramps around here on a busy day, 4wd can become a necessity.

I like the idea of some kind of tractor/gator. But they are so expensive. Picking up a cheap vehicle like above seems to be the best option.
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       02-26-2018, 7:22 AM Reply   
I'm a 3/4 ton or better guy. Ive had my share of half tons and I'll never go back . Between towing my boat ,Travel Trailer and hunting truck across country I just couldn't imagine doing the half ton white knuckle thing again. I do agree you could get away with a big suburban or expedition . I would stay away from the older V8/V10 Fords as they tend to have spark plug/cylinder head issues .
Old     (Shakarocks)      Join Date: Mar 2013       02-26-2018, 11:27 AM Reply   
I tow with a Titan all over the place and there have been no white-knuckle experiences. I do the SLC to Lake Powell run several times a year with no problems. I tow within an hour of my house almost every week up and down some steep mountains with no problem either. I'd say that for your needs a half-ton would be ideal. I would get 4WD for the slipper boat ramps.
Old     (Shoebox)      Join Date: Aug 2017       02-26-2018, 1:49 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick232 View Post
I'm thinking of trading the 15 2500HD Duramax down to a 1500 crew cab with 6.2 liter and new 8 speed. Getting tired of the daily ride to have a killer TV for a few thousand miles a year. .
I have a 2015 Silverado 3500, and it rides great, just as well as my old 2005 Titan. Not sure what ride issues you're having.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-26-2018, 1:53 PM Reply   
An F 150 will do fine pulling a tige especially short distances.
Old     (patrick232)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-26-2018, 3:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebox View Post
I have a 2015 Silverado 3500, and it rides great, just as well as my old 2005 Titan. Not sure what ride issues you're having.
The other company car is a suburban, the ride is night and day between the suburban and the 2500HD. From the steering feed back to the freeway expansion joint, and the pot holes.
Old     (Smoothie)      Join Date: Feb 2018       02-26-2018, 4:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by BABzUSA View Post
It is almost always a grip issue. But it really just depends on the ramp. 2wd on our personal ramp usually doesn't give you any issues. But at public ramps around here on a busy day, 4wd can become a necessity.

I like the idea of some kind of tractor/gator. But they are so expensive. Picking up a cheap vehicle like above seems to be the best option.
I got my Raptor stuck on a very small grassy mud hill pulling an empty trailer last week! Like 5 degree incline, I thought my engine was broken because I couldn't believe I couldnt get up it.

4wd for the win on ramps, Big motor for pulling, and big brakes for stopping. That's the trifecta.
Old     (Cole)      Join Date: Sep 2017       02-26-2018, 4:57 PM Reply   
So what I’m getting from the whole thing is you have a very nice sounding diesel truck and you won’t be using it like what a diesel is intended for and that itself can become an issue boat pulling or not. Have you considered a heavy duty gasser?
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       02-27-2018, 1:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakarocks View Post
I tow with a Titan all over the place and there have been no white-knuckle experiences. I do the SLC to Lake Powell run several times a year with no problems. I tow within an hour of my house almost every week up and down some steep mountains with no problem either. I'd say that for your needs a half-ton would be ideal. I would get 4WD for the slipper boat ramps.
I didnt say it couldnt be done I've done it all myself . I just know that going to a heavier duty rig makes things so much nicer . I hope you dont think Im questioning your rig as I am merely stating how I feel about it .
Old     (BABzUSA)      Join Date: Jan 2018       02-27-2018, 4:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
So what I’m getting from the whole thing is you have a very nice sounding diesel truck and you won’t be using it like what a diesel is intended for and that itself can become an issue boat pulling or not. Have you considered a heavy duty gasser?

I’ve heard both ends of the diesel argument. Some say diesels who don’t get their fair share of work see problems down the line. Others claim this is untrue with the newer ones. So I can’t speak on that.

My plan of attack right now is to sell the 350. I actually have an offer on it right now for 45k. Then buy something that’s only purpose is to pull the boat out of the water and to the dealer every once in awhile. Maybe to lake Austin a few times. Any of these trips is less than 10 miles and doesn’t see a highway. Something around 5k. Then buy something else for daily use. I’m a bit of a gear head. So I wouldn’t mind getting back into a car.

I think people missed the point of the thread a bit. It wasn’t to say what can and cannot reliably tow a large boat. It was to see if anyone else out there is in this situation. If I was towing the rz4 around a lot, I would probably just be sticking with the f350.

On a side note. I think we’ve all seen people towing loads well over the rating of the vehicle. People do it all the time and don’t have issues. That doesn’t mean it’s safe. IMO this doesn’t really matter if you’re only going a short distance. But if you tow on a regular basis I wouldn’t push the limits of your vehicles rating.

I also agree it’s tough to go back to an f150 after owning the 350. It is night and day when towing. I will say, the unloaded ride of the 350 is nothing compared to the f150. I was a hair away from throwing some Carli suspension components on her more than once. I road in a carli equipped f350 identical to mine. It was crazy how nice the ride was. But in the end I couldn’t stomach the cost. Anyone who loves their super duty or other brand equivalent but hates the ride should look into it.
Old     (Cole)      Join Date: Sep 2017       02-27-2018, 9:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
I’ve heard both ends of the diesel argument. Some say diesels who don’t get their fair share of work see problems down the line. Others claim this is untrue with the newer ones. So I can’t speak on that.

My plan of attack right now is to sell the 350. I actually have an offer on it right now for 45k. Then buy something that’s only purpose is to pull the boat out of the water and to the dealer every once in awhile. Maybe to lake Austin a few times. Any of these trips is less than 10 miles and doesn’t see a highway. Something around 5k. Then buy something else for daily use. I’m a bit of a gear head. So I wouldn’t mind getting back into a car.

I think people missed the point of the thread a bit. It wasn’t to say what can and cannot reliably tow a large boat. It was to see if anyone else out there is in this situation. If I was towing the rz4 around a lot, I would probably just be sticking with the f350.

On a side note. I think we’ve all seen people towing loads well over the rating of the vehicle. People do it all the time and don’t have issues. That doesn’t mean it’s safe. IMO this doesn’t really matter if you’re only going a short distance. But if you tow on a regular basis I wouldn’t push the limits of your vehicles rating.

I also agree it’s tough to go back to an f150 after owning the 350. It is night and day when towing. I will say, the unloaded ride of the 350 is nothing compared to the f150. I was a hair away from throwing some Carli suspension components on her more than once. I road in a carli equipped f350 identical to mine. It was crazy how nice the ride was. But in the end I couldn’t stomach the cost. Anyone who loves their super duty or other brand equivalent but hates the ride should look into it.
Carli is amazing that is for sure! What about a Tundra?
Old     (BABzUSA)      Join Date: Jan 2018       02-27-2018, 9:38 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
Carli is amazing that is for sure! What about a Tundra?
Oh man riding in that Carli F350 was the worst thing I ever did! Made my 350 feel like it was on wagon wheels. haha! I have not considered a Tundra. But I will take a look.
Old     (Cole)      Join Date: Sep 2017       02-27-2018, 9:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Oh man riding in that Carli F350 was the worst thing I ever did! Made my 350 feel like it was on wagon wheels. haha! I have not considered a Tundra. But I will take a look.
Carli saved my spine and quality of life haha
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-28-2018, 6:34 AM Reply   
BABz

I pull a 24' supra 24V with a 2008 1500 denali. From 2007 to 2013 all denali's are equipped with a 6.2. Before this truck I had an 2008 max effort Duramax with built tran, EFI live, downpipe and all the other goodies expect bigger turbo and injectors. The 6.2 pull almost as good as the duramax and I repeat almost. It's would never do as good cursing down the interstate or up the side of a mountain, it down shifts to many times. But around town and cursing down the 2 lane Hwy at 60 mph for an hour to our lake it does really really good.

The newer GM 1500's with the Direct Injection 6.2 and 8 speed transmission do even better.
Old     (brinks)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-28-2018, 7:46 AM Reply   
I tow my Tige 24V with my Honda Ridgeline. I had a 2007 and now a 2017. I've never had a problem. I do live in Florida and it's very flat around here. If I were to move back to Arizona I would be getting a new truck to tow the boat with all the hills you have to climb to get to the lake
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-28-2018, 8:24 AM Reply   
What I find amusing is you have a extremely nice and expensive truck, extremely nice and expensive boat and are looking to buy another one, most likely a really nice house on the water at Lake Travis, and you are worried about pulling the boat out of the water to buy cheap gas at a gas station.
Rich people problems...
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       02-28-2018, 6:13 PM Reply   
^^You keep money and become "wealthy" by watching it closely and not letting it leave your pocket without a good reason and by counting every dollar, I am the same way and always fuel up the boat away from the marina to save that $ per gallon. Bet he spent younger years without all that stuff tho working hard to get it, its what most people gotta do to get to a place where you can have what you want.

To OP topic....I also have a 2016 1500 and pull my 7500lb 24ft boat anywhere I wanna go with no issues at all. Truck is rated for 9300 towing and my tandem trailer has great brakes. Big truck is always better for towing but not always necessary and no point in a big truck if its only for an occasional purpose....so I would do the same thing you are thinking about doing if I were in your situation.

BABz, I got the 4 new boat fenders a few days ago, thank you as they look very nice. Looking forward to summer to try them out and will put up a review on Amazon. Good luck on your search for the new rides
Old     (BABzUSA)      Join Date: Jan 2018       03-10-2018, 2:38 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by three6ty View Post
What I find amusing is you have a extremely nice and expensive truck, extremely nice and expensive boat and are looking to buy another one, most likely a really nice house on the water at Lake Travis, and you are worried about pulling the boat out of the water to buy cheap gas at a gas station.
Rich people problems...
Thanks? Same amount of time to fill up the boat for significantly yes? Yup, I'm doing that every time. Sounds pretty dumb not to. Might as well set your money on fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitysurf View Post
^^You keep money and become "wealthy" by watching it closely and not letting it leave your pocket without a good reason and by counting every dollar, I am the same way and always fuel up the boat away from the marina to save that $ per gallon. Bet he spent younger years without all that stuff tho working hard to get it, its what most people gotta do to get to a place where you can have what you want.

To OP topic....I also have a 2016 1500 and pull my 7500lb 24ft boat anywhere I wanna go with no issues at all. Truck is rated for 9300 towing and my tandem trailer has great brakes. Big truck is always better for towing but not always necessary and no point in a big truck if its only for an occasional purpose....so I would do the same thing you are thinking about doing if I were in your situation.

BABz, I got the 4 new boat fenders a few days ago, thank you as they look very nice. Looking forward to summer to try them out and will put up a review on Amazon. Good luck on your search for the new rides
First off, can't wait for you to try the BABz! An Amazon review would be awesome. The lake is looking very active down here in Austin today. Time to start hitting the cove and promoting these!

The f350 is officially for sale. Not sure what will replace it just yet. But I know it needs to go.