Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Lemonade)      Join Date: May 2015       05-04-2016, 9:16 AM Reply   
I'm loking to get a couple of helmets for the boat for everyone to use. Does anyone have any preferences? adjustability would be a great feature, our local supp,liers don't stock much and none of them water sport specific. I've found some decent deals on Pro-Tec Ace's online (both adult and junior). Any input is appreciated.

Also, has anyone had any experience wearing a helmet when tubing (don't flame me, its for the kids). I'm thinking all riders should wear them. I'm an Occupational Therapist and work frequently with brain injured individuals so don't give me the bubble wrap sermon, all these sports have calculated risks inherent to them.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-04-2016, 9:25 AM Reply   
Triple 8 just released some water specific helmets, they are looking pretty nice. Not sure if they come with ear guards, which is something I recommend and prefer. I still have the Pro Tec Ace Water version, which is not made any longer (Pro Tec are not able to make water helmets)

Inherent risks are there, however I feel to a certain point helmets actually increase the impact caused to the skull when the impact is water, and not a solid object.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-04-2016, 9:28 AM Reply   
Not sure what good a helmet is going to do unless you are thinking the wakeboard might hit them in the head, but you asked about tubing. The main benefit is going to be protecting the ears from a ruptured eardrum. So you should look for helmets with ear flaps. That's what I use on the cable because I've been whacked in the ear a few times. But I don't bother with a helmet behind the boat.
Old     (YYCBoarder)      Join Date: Apr 2013       05-04-2016, 9:41 AM Reply   
I used to wear a helmet wakeboarding behnd a boat but don't anymore for a couple reasons. A helmet has more surface area creates more drag and impact when hitting the water which could increase the chance of whiplash. I also had the flaps which I figured would help prevent bursting an ear drum but I was recently taking lessons and the coach said the worst ruptured ear drum he ever saw was when a guy was wearing a helmet.

Helmets on a tube might not be a bad idea though since there's a good chance some head bashing happening.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-04-2016, 10:04 AM Reply   
My ear flaps have saved me more than plenty of times....
Old     (Lemonade)      Join Date: May 2015       05-04-2016, 10:15 AM Reply   
Interesting perspectives, much appreciated. Only concussion like injury we had was when a gangly teen knee hit a rock solid teen head while tubing, so 3 helmets will need to available for the 3 man tube. I agree about the helmet drag issue but more info would be needed to determine if it's a valid concern or pseudo science (i'm no hydronautical engineer). I'm curious why Pro-Tec can't make water sports helmets anylonger as I've found deals on the ace helmets
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-04-2016, 1:18 PM Reply   
I wear a regular old skateboarding ProTec helmet when I ride cable, and it works just fine, just as well as any other more expensive helmet that I've tried over the years. I think I got it for 40 or 50 bucks at my local indy skateboard shop. I bought it for skate but then used it to ride cable one time in a pinch, and it worked great so I have just stuck with it for cable. You could probably find one even cheaper online.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-04-2016, 1:24 PM Reply   
Another option might be to check out Liquidation Sports store on ebay. Earlier today I was on there, and they have bunches of different Capix/Ronix helmets for $30 plus $10 shipping. There might be some other brands, as well. Here is an example. Good luck with it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Capix-Wakeca...item5d639c3d47
Old     (whiteflashwatersports1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       05-05-2016, 6:39 AM Reply   
We have the hyperlite helmets for my wife and daughter. I don't know if they make them anymore. My wife wears hers wakeboarding and wont ride without it. She ruptured her eardrum tubing a few years ago. She was laid up for a few days. She now has vertigo - not good.

My daughter stopped wearing her helmet wakeboarding and took the board to the back of her head and was knocked out now she wont ride anymore she will only surf.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-05-2016, 7:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCBoarder View Post
A helmet has more surface area creates more drag and impact when hitting the water which could increase the chance of whiplash.
I find this statement confusing. I took a serious whiplash back edge slam a few weeks ago behind the boat. From a physics standpoint I can only imagine that a helmet would have lessened the injury. Following the conventional logic that a larger surface area would have reduced the penetration of the back of my head into the water, my neck would have not been snapped backwards as much as it was. Also the thickness of the helmet would have reduced the amount of backwards snap just by the fact that my head would have stopped sooner.

That's the same logic that people use to claim a helmet would increase the chance of concussion because it would decelerate your head faster. However they leave out a parameter in that assessment. That being the helmet has internal padding.

And while your instructor may have seen the worst eardrum injury with a person wearing a helmet. You didn't mention if the helmet had ear flaps. My personal experience with ear impact riding the cable is that the flaps are of a benefit.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-05-2016, 1:21 PM Reply   
I offer a purple roman helmet to all the ladies on my boat. a few have taken me up on it
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-05-2016, 11:44 PM Reply   

I ride with one of these. I really like it.
Old     (YYCBoarder)      Join Date: Apr 2013       05-06-2016, 8:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135 View Post
I find this statement confusing. I took a serious whiplash back edge slam a few weeks ago behind the boat. From a physics standpoint I can only imagine that a helmet would have lessened the injury. Following the conventional logic that a larger surface area would have reduced the penetration of the back of my head into the water, my neck would have not been snapped backwards as much as it was. Also the thickness of the helmet would have reduced the amount of backwards snap just by the fact that my head would have stopped sooner.

That's the same logic that people use to claim a helmet would increase the chance of concussion because it would decelerate your head faster. However they leave out a parameter in that assessment. That being the helmet has internal padding.

And while your instructor may have seen the worst eardrum injury with a person wearing a helmet. You didn't mention if the helmet had ear flaps. My personal experience with ear impact riding the cable is that the flaps are of a benefit.
I guess whether a helmet helps or hurts with whiplash depends which way your head and body are going when you hit the water. If you hit the water at a bad angle and the helmet slows your head down while your body keeps going that would increase your chance of whiplash.

I agree a padded helmet would certainly help with a concussion but there is already plenty of cushioning in the water. I don't think there's any question about whether a helmet is necessary at a cable part - there too many hard things to hit your head on. haha

The helmet did have ear flaps. It seems counter intuitive to me too but I'm no expert and am just going off what he said.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-06-2016, 1:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135 View Post

I agree with this statement 100%.