Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Killerbren)      Join Date: May 2015       05-09-2016, 8:55 PM Reply   
Hi Guys,

I'm newish to wakeboarding, bought the boat last spring but spent most of the year surfing and probably only strapped on the wakeboard 3-4 times all year. Before that I've wakeboarded maybe 5-10 times. I'm pretty good on a snowboard however, and that helps transition on the water quite a bit. I'm able to carve easily and almost jump wake to wake (I think I need to shorten the rope for some confidence but thats another story).

I'm 6'5" and weigh 225-230lbs.

Right now for a board I have a custom Blindside with open toe bindings that are on the verge of being too small. The board is 144cm, could be 142 cm I will have to double check. The board came with the boat so that's what I wear. The problem that I'm having is that I don't feel stable on the board at all. Maybe I'm expecting it to feel like snowboarding when in reality its not? Its almost like I'm slipping around too much. Anyway my question for you guys is this: Does this sound normal? Is this how wakeboarding feels or is it a board issue? Is this just a comfort thing that experience will fix?

I'm looking at a used cheap board on my local craigslist. Its a Hyperlite Temet 142cm. It looks a bit wider in the body and has more fins on the bottom. Is it safe to say that this board would be better geared for a beginner like myself?

Opinions would be appreciated, I want to start wakeboarding more this year, thinking I might be more comfortable on a different board.

Pictures attached below.

Thanks!

Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       05-10-2016, 6:49 PM Reply   
Hey Brennen, welcome to the forum.

To be honest, both of those setups are quite old and I don't think buying the hyperlite deck will help improve things as I'd be surprised if the boots had much life left in them. My suggestion for now would be to get a new set of blem boots that fit and get an 8 inch adapter if you find the 6 inch boots don't offer a wide enough stance. If you are slipping around it is more of a case of getting comfortable and using the edges to turn, not the fins. I ride boards with no fins and still get a solid edge, so bigger fins will only make you rely on them and not develop good technique quickly.
The best answer of course is to try some gear out with someone who knows what they are doing and get something that fits and feels good.
Hope that helps.
Old     (Killerbren)      Join Date: May 2015       05-11-2016, 12:19 PM Reply   
Thanks for your reply. I did some research and it turns out both boards are more geared towards beginners. I think I will keep riding the board I have for now until I get more comfortable, then move up to a new board. Probably just need more time on the water to get more comfortable. May look into getting some better bindings though. Thanks.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-11-2016, 10:17 PM Reply   
Bindings make ALL the difference in the world and the ones you are using are not in the same league as something like a newer Ronix Closed Toe boots or Sling Shots Boots.

Honestly, if money is tight, Id follow the other advice given and get a new set of good quality bindings (I love the Ronix One's).

But if you have the funds, most pro model (like a Ronix One) are going to be as good or better for you as a beginner than the boards you have. So don't get stuck on the idea of keeping the board because its labeled as a beginner board.

Good luck.
Old     (svnfightsvn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       05-12-2016, 4:40 AM Reply   
I would not recommend a ronix one to a beginner .
That being said, the hyperlite is an "upgrade" from the blindside but it's still not in the same league as some of the more recent beginner boards . I would continue looking
Old     (Killerbren)      Join Date: May 2015       05-12-2016, 12:15 PM Reply   
The reason I asked this question is because that Hyperlite board came up on Craigslist for $120 Canadian (90 USD), and I figured it was cheap enough and if it would make a difference then it may be worth it. It sounds like a better idea would be to take that hundred bucks and put it toward a good set of boots. Money isn't THAT tight, but I did spend a lot of money over the winter on things like ballast automation, FAE, ect so I don't the dept of finance (aka wife) will approve a new wakeboard.

When you say you wouldnt recommend a ronix one to a beginner are you talking about the boots or the board?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-12-2016, 12:22 PM Reply   
temet is a great beginner board. throw a set of Watson's or similar bindings that fit and you're going to miles ahead of the blindside rig. Temet has removable fins for when you progress a little. and has different fin configuration on the tip vs the tail to help when you're riding switch. looks like its in great shape too.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-12-2016, 1:07 PM Reply   
He most likely means the board.

The Ronix Boots (or any newer closed toe) will fit you so much better and have so much better support than the old rubber bindings. And they will be much more comfortable. This will allow you to ride longer without getting sore feet.

As for the One board, its a matter of opinion. The newest One shape doesn't have a super abrupt 3 stage rocker and is actually and fun board to ride. I ride it and I actually find it quite forgiving on landings that aren't perfect. I have thrown first timers and many beginners on it and no one has had any trouble. Some pro models (Like the Parks) are more difficult for beginners. With that said if you are looking for a beginner board that you can shred on for years, the Ronix Vault would be perfect. If you can demo one from a Shop, I'd do that.

Last edited by 501s; 05-12-2016 at 1:10 PM.
Old     (nathanb)      Join Date: Jun 2013       05-14-2016, 4:31 AM Reply   
I wouldn't say the One board is bad for beginners but a more mellow rocker board may be better for you. In saying that, two chicks in my crew are new to wakeboarding, one bought the atr s and the other a timebomb and both of them love it. The one with the atr s, its her first board and the board she learnt to ride, the one with the timebomb recently upgraded from the ronix krush and absolutely loves the timebomb
do yourself a favour and at least get better bindings but I would also look at a new board. Something with a rolled edge in the middle and sharper on the ends would be my suggestion
Old     (Killerbren)      Join Date: May 2015       05-15-2016, 11:57 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the replies guys. I've decided on passing on the other board. I'm going to keep my eye open for some used boots, and if I get desperate enough i'll cave and get a new board and boots. I'm planning to get the boat out of storage this weekend and I'm starting to get excited.

What do you guys think about the Hyperlite Murray and should I go with a board which is 144cm? 150cm just seems so big.