Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (skidaddy)      Join Date: May 2008       01-16-2015, 12:56 PM Reply   
G21 is clearly a superior boat, but is it worth the extra $25,000 in MSRP? Just interested in what others have to say, particularly folks that might have moved from a 210 to the G.
Old     (RideGull)      Join Date: Apr 2012       01-17-2015, 7:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidaddy View Post
G21 is clearly a superior boat, but is it worth the extra $25,000 in MSRP? Just interested in what others have to say, particularly folks that might have moved from a 210 to the G.
All depends on what you want to do.
Generally, the 210 goes to families looking for a great do-all boat. May have storage or size restrictions. If they don't need the storage capacity or wake size that a G has, they will stick with a 210. Many people go with the 210 because it is their first inboard or high end wake boat - easy to handle, doesn't feel like too much boat.

G goes to more serious wakeboarders or surfers. Huge difference in wake between the 210 and G21. Generally these people don't have storage issues or don't mind the cost of upgrading garages/boat lifts.
Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       01-17-2015, 8:12 AM Reply   
IMHO you can't go wrong with either choice so it all comes down to what you're expecting out of the boat, what you can afford, where you store it, and how serious of a wake machine do you want?

1. Expectations - Both boats have their own markets. As strange as it sounds the 210 has become the "cost effective" boat of the Nautique line. I don't know if I'd go as far to say it is a do everything boat, but it will come closer to a ski wake than the G ever will. I haven't ridden behind the 2014 hull yet, but can expect it to be much the same as previous years. Same with the G21, I haven't ridden it yet but can expect it to be much like the G23s I have ridden only with a bit more lip at the top of the wake. I don't really surf much so I won't comment on that other than to say I've read boat are good wakes.

2. What can you afford - Let's face it boats are EXPENSIVE these days! MSRP isn't really an accurate representation to me. Once optioned out the way you like, add trailer, etc the price will change. This is truely only something you can answer for yourself.

3. While I think you can still sneak a 210 into a 7" garage door (not positive on this) there is no way a G will. You're looking at at least 9" garage doors for that line. The G is also a bit wider and of course heavier so all these need to be taken into account whether you store in a garage or lift. If you have to tow the boat will your tow vehicle even work for the G?

4. Let's face it... These 2 boats are different classes as far as wakes go. G will no doubt have the upper-hand on wakeboard wakes out of the box. The 210 is no slouch, and can be made great with added weight. I have heard the surf wake of the newer 210 with NSS is more preferable to the G series boats, but again I don't really surf and haven't been behind the 210 yet to really give an opinion.

All this being said... If none of these mattered but wake I'd personally choose the G21. I've ridden behind several G23s, and a G25. Between those wakes I prefer the G23 and if the difference between it and a G21 is the same in the opposite direction that wake would be my promised land. All accounts hold this to be true as well. I personally own a Legacy 210 and love that wake which makes me feel like I'd prefer the G21 wake over the G23. I regularly ride behind 2008 210s as well and like them, but really do miss the wall the Legacy 210 hull offers.

I will say if you are leaning more to the G21, take a moment to look at the G23 unless it just really isn't an option. I know it sounds silly, but with the missing 18" you loose a REAL cooler. Nautique also takes away the transom cooler, the convenient storage compartment on the driver's helm, as well as a few other small things. Do any of these really matter is up to you and if you're willing to spend a little extra for them.

Good luck with the search and maybe move over to PlanetNautique.com to better answer your questions.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       01-17-2015, 9:32 AM Reply   
Echo what core said! I have a 2008 210 and would upgrade to a g in a heartbeat if the garage and family budget allowed. I also agree the g23 has a whole lot more to offer than the g21 it seems in terms of little details he mentioned.
Old     (skidaddy)      Join Date: May 2008       01-17-2015, 3:46 PM Reply   
Thanks for input. My current boat is a Mastercraft X2. My son and I are intermediate riders at best. Mostly wakeboard but doing more surfing these days so want something with surf tab system. Although we could probably afford the G, starting to think the extra wake would be wasted on us (so the extra cost would be a waste). Also, I would have to upgrade my lift and couldn't store boat in garage for winter. Seems 210 would be upgrade over X2 for both wake and surf. Downgrade for skiing but don't do that anymore. Ridegull's "family boat" description probably fits us best. Heck I will be pulling my daughter behind whatever I get on a tube!

Appreciate any other thoughts. Also going to check Planetnautique.
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-19-2015, 4:35 AM Reply   
For the x2 mosey on over to teamtalk or google wakeshaper. They can be made easily or bought from a guy making them but they make a great surf wake! Mine took a few hours to make and about 40 bucks. The guy makes a really nice polished aluminum removable surf system.
Old     (bcd)      Join Date: Jun 2012       01-23-2015, 6:40 PM Reply   
The 210 will not fit under a 7' garage door.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       01-24-2015, 4:22 AM Reply   
The choice boils down between the G and 210 more on pocket book than anything else. The huge advantage is obviously space and storage. The wakeboard wake has bit more ummf on the G21 but the surf is about equal with the small change in the 210 Hull to work better with NSS in 2014. Since we know the G21is an upgrade for sure lets look more at 210 vs X2 then you can decide if what the 210 offers compared to you X2 is enough or if you want G21.

The 210 is a nice upgrade from the X2 in performance and space. While not much bigger on paper the boat definitely feels bigger inside and is. One negative is if you use your bow seating in your X2 a ton the 210 bow seating may leave a bit to be desired. However ther room inside the 210 cockpit and their seating arrangement more than makes up for that lost bow space. The 210 will take less ballast than your X2 to get both the surf and wakeboard wake kicking. It's drives and handles much better than the X2. Not sure what level riders you pull or how much extra ballast, if any , you put in your x2 but if you pull riders with ballast that are above a beginner I am pretty confident you have noticed how many steering corrections you make when riders cut out. That's because the X2 floats a bit with good riders due to the fact it doesn't have tracking fins. The 210 tracks very well no matter what. The surf wake on the 210 is way above your x2. When compared to x2 the 210give you a much longer pocket, much more push, and a much cleaner face. It's no contest. The wakeboard wake is also a step above some may argue two steps. You get a longer transition, little more kick off the lip and is clean way further back to allow you longer rope lengths.

All in all both the G21 and the 210 are a worthy upgrade to your X2. The g21 is arguably a step above the 210, but to me the 210 is definitely worth an upgrade to the X2 in your case for what you are looking for. So up to you on what you want to pay and want. As mentioned. The 210 will have tough time clearing 7ft door on standard trailer.

Last edited by xstarrider; 01-24-2015 at 4:31 AM.