Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Andy_Elliott)      Join Date: Jun 2011       09-07-2014, 5:17 PM Reply   
Hi guys. so this summer I've really been trying to up my wakeboard skills and have been going for bigger, harder tricks than in the past. Anyways, I've been taking some pretty good whippers (but also learned 6 new tricks..so not all bad!). Usually right after landing, Ill catch my heelside edge and whip the back of my head into the water pretty good. usually happens once or twice per session. only hurts for a minute and I'm not like dizzy or anything. Although my neck and abs get sore for a day or so. This is probably a pretty noob question but is this normal? I figure pros must slam their heads all the time? Should I cool it or keep up my motto of "**** it and huck it!!"

Spark notes: is it normal to slam your head hard every time you ride? or am i doing something wrong?
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       09-07-2014, 5:23 PM Reply   
Everybody is going to take a slam or two, especially when pushing new tricks. After you land you're catching your heelside edge? What tricks are you throwing? Video?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-07-2014, 5:37 PM Reply   
If you're getting slammed multiple times per set it might be a good idea to dial back your ambition a little. Or slow the boat down and shorten the rope to soften the water a little. I've progressed a bunch this season and I probably get worked once every 4-7 sets. Or less. I fall a lot. But if those falls were edge catches, I'd question whether I was trying progress too fast. I like to keep a small amount of longevity in mind.
Old     (T_A)      Join Date: Feb 2013       09-07-2014, 5:39 PM Reply   
Yes what level are you at? I used to do it a lot as well when I was first trying to learn inverts/spins so I'd say its normal. Once you consistently start throwing these tricks you gain air awareness and become somewhat cat-like(always tend to find your feet), or at least I did. I have a lot of the base inverts in my bag and can try and throw a mobe or something new when I'm feeling IT and even if the attempt goes horribly wrong I almost always land on my board avoiding those types of falls. A few years ago I was taking a lot of those set ending falls trying to get the base stuff down though. Also, don't throw a trick unless you have the basic parts of it down ( ex: don't throw a moby dick unless you have tantrums and BS 3's on lock).
Old     (T_A)      Join Date: Feb 2013       09-07-2014, 5:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
If you're getting slammed multiple times per set it might be a good idea to dial back your ambition a little. Or slow the boat down and shorten the rope to soften the water a little. I've progressed a bunch this season and I probably get worked once every 4-7 sets. Or less. I fall a lot. But if those falls were edge catches, I'd question whether I was trying progress too fast. I like to keep a small amount of longevity in mind.
This too, slow it down and shorten the rope. Harley and Dowdy ride at 65ft. You don't need to ride at 80 ft 24mph to go big and look good. BTW, the wake is bigger at slower speeds...

Edit: this is just an assumption based on what I see mostly now a days...
Old     (Andy_Elliott)      Join Date: Jun 2011       09-07-2014, 5:55 PM Reply   
Tony - sounds like you're probably right. I learned a lot of the basic inverts this year. tantrum, scarecrow, backroll, ts backroll, half cab roll. Also landed a ts 5. i can do a few different 3's also just for reference. I probably ate it trying all these tricks but only took like 10 attempts max per trick so i just kept moving up the ladder so to speak. i ride at 70 feet and somewhere between 23 - 24 (perfect pass is broken). I'm not just that kook who hucks himself without knowing anything you know. i ride on saltwater maybe that's not helping either haha.

Also, didnt know harley and dowdy ride that short...hmmmm

Last edited by Andy_Elliott; 09-07-2014 at 6:03 PM.
Old     (T_A)      Join Date: Feb 2013       09-07-2014, 6:42 PM Reply   
Sounds like you had a great year! As you get all those tricks down you'll keep developing that air awareness more and more. Just don't go for too much too quick and just have fun with it! Start trying to grab those tricks to add some style. May not seem as cool as learning a new trick but adding a grab feels like a completely new trick when you land it and looks better next to someone else doing the same tricks without grabs so it's not for nothing. Also speed and length is somewhat dependent on boat..I ride my vlx at 65ft 21.5-22.5mph but anytime I'm on any nautique it's 75ft. That wake is super narrow compared to what I'm used to.
Old     (Andy_Elliott)      Join Date: Jun 2011       09-07-2014, 6:48 PM Reply   
Thanks Tony! Time to start steezing some stuff out
Old     (WakenUp)      Join Date: Aug 2014       09-07-2014, 7:17 PM Reply   
What about a helmet?
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-07-2014, 11:08 PM Reply   
I don't think a helmet will help a ton unless you're hitting hard objects. When slamming head against water, you'll still get the concussed due to brain flopping around inside the scull (it's science, yo). It might take some of the edge off, but I wear a helmet mostly for the ear flaps, which give me ear protection and minimize wind noise to my headphones.

As for whether it's normal to get worked when learning new stuff -- yes, abosultely normal. Risk of injury goes up the more chances you take out there, but it's really hard to progress if you take no risks at. You'll have to find the ride balance for yourself, and it will likely change over time.

I think it was Vandal who said that one of the skills you must learn is how to fall. Like with anything else, you'll get better at it over time. Trampoline helps with air awareness, improving your chances to know when things are about to get rough. Also, reducing boat speed when trying new things, like Jarrod said, helps a ton.

Overall, though, this is what separates the best from the rest of us -- willingess to get worked, then getting up and trying it again until you get it. You can combine balls with smarts too, though, and not try things you're not ready for. Check out the Book and the progression tree for some ideas.