Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (MBofTexas)      Join Date: Aug 2013       03-06-2014, 12:42 PM Reply   
Can anyone give me a review or thoughts on this board. I am 42, wife 36 boys 11 and 7. We are not huge surfers but we do on occasion and have friends who like to when they are out with us. I found a 2013 5' for $370 delivered. Thoughts?
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-06-2014, 2:23 PM Reply   
Keep looking
Old     (MBofTexas)      Join Date: Aug 2013       03-06-2014, 3:23 PM Reply   
^^^^^ Can you educate me why?
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-06-2014, 3:59 PM Reply   
I can, my Koal was warped, and spider cracked within the first year. Rode slow and was quite heavy. I would pay 150.00 tops for that board. I sold mine for a buck twenty five.....
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-07-2014, 7:25 AM Reply   
Erik, I would tend to agree with the above assessments. The Koal over the years have been known as a duck diver or pearl hunter. They attempted to fix this by adding more volume and giving the board a pronounce flip in the tip. They have gone through a number of changes over the years in manufacturing, some were good changes like more standardized FCS-style fin plugs, etc. They still supply ultra cheap non-surf style fins. They had lots of problems when they tried to make a more surfboard-like clear construction version. It was done cheaply. The 2013 models/colors continue to suffer from poor construction: They are laminated with really inexpensive fiberglass over a cheap foam core. They are soft and spongy feeling and as a result the paint basically flakes off with minor bangs. I have had to cut into over 20 of the 2013s to fix them last year and this year. I have 2 on my racks right now getting major tail rebuilds. I can send pics if you want. The boards are roughed out, laminated, then filled with putty to smooth out gaps, primed and painted. This gives you a board that looks OK in the showroom, but when you look internally you see it is a mess.

Erik, if you want to PM me, given you are assumably in Texas, I can help you out with a much better board at a very reasonable price.

Nick
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-07-2014, 8:17 AM Reply   
Erik, jump on that offer! Nicks a great guy, I'm sure he can hook you up with a board you will be more then satisfied with!
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-07-2014, 5:25 PM Reply   
I had a 2013 Koal Fish 5'4" board, I am 6'1" 200 lbs. I really enjoyed riding the board last summer, it was very easy for everyone in our boat to go ropeless. I am a intermediate surfer, nothing crazy but I also had a friend purchase one and he really liked it. I did have a problem with the board delaminating in a small area on the underside of the board. Ronix customer service was really good and sent me a 2014 model no questions asked.

I would not have any problems recommending this board, it looks like the 2014 model is constructed even better.
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-07-2014, 7:38 PM Reply   
Our family has tried and owns many boards and in my opinion the best "boat" board to purchase would be an Inland Surfer Black Pearl tri-fin. It comes with one fin so purchase the two extra fins so the beginners can ride it with three fins. As you progress you can try different fin arrangements.

I'm assuming you are all under 200#'s. Get one of the larger Inland Surfer boards if you are heavier, but It won't be as maneuverable for the lighter riders.
Old     (22vdrive)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-08-2014, 6:00 AM Reply   
If your in Texas there is also another board maker named doomswell they are really nice custom boards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old     (rugbyballa3)      Join Date: Feb 2013       03-10-2014, 10:33 AM Reply   
spend the money and buy a hand built custom board. check out bryce and jonathan at day1wake.com give them a call great boards at a reasonable price. 206.280.6223