Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       12-21-2013, 9:20 PM Reply   
Just got done reading the engine break in for my new boat. I had no idea you can't use ballast for the first 10 hours. And can't go over 2000 rpm for the first 2 hours! Seems a bit overkill??? It can take some time to put 10 hours on it the way they suggest. Going up Rpms as hours increase.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       12-21-2013, 9:53 PM Reply   
that seems weird. I know someone has posted it on here before but there is a break in some hot rod guys use. I would think it would be best to run up and down the rpm range with no extra load. Maybe only go up to 4k rpm the first hour or 2 but then go WOT after the first couple.
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       12-22-2013, 7:44 AM Reply   
Manual sad no ballast till 10 hrs. First hour not above 2k. Second hour not above 3k. So on and so on. And also to vary rpm but not to exceed those Rpms at certain hours.
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       12-22-2013, 9:03 AM Reply   
Our Mb came with an Indamar and that is the same procedure it said. We followed it strictly. It took us 2 day of cruising slowly. We did discover a lot more of The Delta in our adventure. We also did not add any ballast or board until the 11 hour mark.
Old     (WheelerWake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       12-22-2013, 9:05 AM Reply   
There are really only 2 things in an engine that need breaking in and one of them, the cam/lifters, doesn't apply anymore because everythings got roller lifters. The rings need to be "seated" with the cylinder walls. Until this happens (maybe 10-20hrs) it might use a little oil.

There is no such thing a breaking in bearings, the bearings should never touch the crankshaft, oil is between them. If they touch, the clearances are wrong, breaking in won't fix this.

Running an engine easy doesn't make it stronger, it is what it is.

The break-in period also applies to the transmission and v-drive,, these gears/bearings need to seat also.

It would be difficult for me to keep under 2k for 10 hrs, I don't think it would even plane.
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       12-22-2013, 9:14 AM Reply   
Ya seems like it will feel like forever to hit 10 hrs
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       12-22-2013, 9:14 AM Reply   
If it seems overkill then dont do it. If nothing happens down the road then that's good to hear. But if it starts burning more oil than usual or begins to under perform... Well... You'll know who to blame
Old     (imscarlet)      Join Date: Mar 2008       12-22-2013, 10:35 AM Reply   
Just get ole skate out and try something new, bet ya very engine rpms then, improve skills and have some fun
Old     (cwkoch)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-23-2013, 6:48 AM Reply   
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-23-2013, 11:07 AM Reply   
Follow the break in or void the warranty....how would they know? The computer keeps track of RPMs/time...only matters if you have a failure