Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-02-2011, 11:00 AM Reply   
Appreciate any advide on the Excel model.
I have been working with the dealer for 10 days now. $9000 a good price?
thanks ahead
http://www.boats.com/boat-details/Co...xcel/115030801
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       04-02-2011, 4:44 PM Reply   
NASA guides an average retail of $6400, but take it with a grain of salt.I don't think $9000 is crcazy, but for something like that, personally I'd be more comfortable in teh $6500-$7500 range. Part of that is because those boats don't have a huge amount of room and I value more room and an open bow. I got my '89 Saltare for significantly less, with floors, stringers, and engine redone a few years back. This is just me, for my intended use and what I value in a boat, but I wouldn't pay $9000 for a closed bow. The vdrive adds value, but when I was looking at my Saltare last year I saw a closed bow Excel that was less of a drive to get than the Saltare, but more expensive by a few grand. I passed on the Excel because I felt I got a lot more for my money from the open bow big block 454 Saltare that had everything redone about 4 years ago. If you can get it for $9000 + them repairing the upholstery they mentioned was torn in the ads ... I would be inclined to think it's a fair deal at that point.

That's just me, so I can't say what's right for you. The vdrive and rarity of Excels I think is waht makes me questionable on the price. It was made as a barefoot boat, but it's a vdrive with a deeper v and supposedly throws a good wake. So it's a toss up... How much value does the vdrive and better seating arrangement bring vs a SN2001? What are similar condition SN2001 going for? I've seen some SN2001 with asking prices over $9k, and I'd rather have an Excel than a SN2001. There's a lot of factors. At the end of the day, the Excel is the only vdrive you're gonna get for $9k, outside of maybe an old Century or something but they're not really made for watersports.
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-02-2011, 6:12 PM Reply   
9000 is a pretty decent price for that boat. (I'm with CA it would be even better with fixed upholstery)

Here's why.....

1. Nada price doesn't include trailer.

2. Look at the other listings around... I know, I know, there's a couple guys out there asking 15000 saying their wake is as good as a 210. Never mind these guys. But 9000 seems to be the going rate.

3. The V-drive will be way nicer for passengers even without the open bow vs a DD.

Check compression, check the floor for rotten stringers, and if you end up pulling the trigger on the deal..... do the wheel bearings soon in the trailer if they haven't been done and drive her home!!!
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-03-2011, 7:29 AM Reply   
I sold mine in 2007 for 9995.00 and it had 500 hours on it.Mine was a 1992 same color.here are some pics of it when i sold it.
Attached Images

Old     (tx_foilhead)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-03-2011, 11:37 AM Reply   
Go for a ride in it, everyone has an opinion, but they are rare enough that I would bet most haven't been in one. Its bigger than a 2001 and the space is more useable, but your if your crew is bigger than 4 or 5 it's gonna be tight. As for the wake, I like mine, but I can't really compare it to anything because I haven't ridden behind something with a similar wake. Wouldn't really mater anyway, with a foil a pontoon will work if that's all you got.

Go try it out, that's the only way to tell, I think it's way ahead of the small DD's from the 80's, and the lack of an open bow is the only thing that keeps the price down.
Old     (drifter1136)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-03-2011, 5:37 PM Reply   
We detailed the ext for them . We do all there trade ins for them. Its not in that bad of shape, just needs some int work.