Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (jhillard)      Join Date: Aug 2013       08-20-2013, 7:26 AM Reply   
Apologies for starting another "help me pick out a boat" thread, but after a fun summer with our Tige 21v (2001), we are going to consolidate and sell our boats for something else (we also have a Yamaha that we have had for 7 years). The wife would like something bigger (we often have 9+ folks in the boat) and newer. Me? I am not unhappy with the 21V, but since we are getting a different boat, I hope the wake will be even better (for surfing and boarding), and snap-in carpet would be nice.

Any boat we wind up with has to be able to handle rough waves and have a decent freeboard. As close as we are to the Chesapeake, when the wind is blowing the wrong way the waves get whipped up quickly. Riding through it is unavoidable during the summer. I don’t expect a Center Console fishing boat type of ride, but we don’t need our teeth jarred loose either! Our current Tige fits that bill (although a little more length would not hurt).

Our budget is 50-60k, if I am lucky I may find a 2010 24ve in the upper end of that range. I could stretch to an RZ2, but the family does not like the picklefork bow (and there is concern about water over the bow). A Z3 would be great, but that's going to be out of the price range.

I am trying to stay open-minded, what other boats should I look at?

There are only two inboards in this area, it is not a hotbed of inboard activity (at least not yet, a lot of neighbors have been asking us about wakesurfing). Since there are not many boats or dealers nearby to look at, I can't easily ride behind different boats and see what feels best. I am hoping to get some advice from the folks here that have been on the different boats. We could fly somewhere to check out a boat, but unless we are pretty sure about the boat going in, I don't want to hassle someone to take their boat out to go 'tire kicking'.

So have at it... is the 24ve a good place to start? If so, are there certain years/options to be aware of (snap-in carpet in 2010, Tige cruise control vs. Perfect Pass)? What other boats should I look at? Would a test drive of a Z3 have enough "wow" factor to increase the budget? Will the surf and board wakes be noticeably different from a ballasted 21V?

Thanks for your opinions and info,
-jhillard-