Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-18-2014, 8:30 AM Reply   
Replacing the tires on my trailer. Went 10 years with zero issues with my Goodyear Marathons, before one shredded at the end of last year. Talking with a local tire shop, apparently the Marathons are now made in China, alone with almost everything else. They were $25 more a tire and though he said he'd happily put them on, said he thought they were the exact same thing as the Commando tires, just different badging & saw no reason to pay the extra cash.

ONLY names in my size locally have been Taskmaster, Carlisle, Cooper Super Max, Commando & the Marathons....

I'm not ordering anything in, so any strong feelings?
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-18-2014, 8:40 AM Reply   
I seem to see people complaining about Carlisle all the time. Not sure on the others.
Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-18-2014, 9:34 AM Reply   
The Carlisles had a really bad run years ago. Every single one I had failed within two seasons. I believe those issues have been fixed. I switched to the Goodyears and have had zero issues. They ride better, tow straighter. I've heard a few complaints about them but, mostly people love them.

The problem your having results from running the same trailer tires for 10 years. You don't wear out trailer tires. You replace them due to age. I replace mine every three years. Six years is really pushing it. Ten years is asking for a blow out. Check the date code on your tires. That will tell you how old they are.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-18-2014, 10:10 AM Reply   
I just had to replace one of the Carlisle tires on my 09 trailer that had around 2000km's on it. Had to replace due to age (cracking in sidewall) not because it was worn out. My new Carlisle tire said made in China as well. Hopefully they aren't POS.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       06-18-2014, 10:11 AM Reply   
I just dropped my trailer off at a repair shop that is the local UFP place & he said he recommends using car tires rated for the weight in lieu of trailer tires. I've read that before but was always hesitant.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-18-2014, 10:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fence_sence View Post
The Carlisles had a really bad run years ago. Every single one I had failed within two seasons. I believe those issues have been fixed. I switched to the Goodyears and have had zero issues. They ride better, tow straighter. I've heard a few complaints about them but, mostly people love them.

The problem your having results from running the same trailer tires for 10 years. You don't wear out trailer tires. You replace them due to age. I replace mine every three years. Six years is really pushing it. Ten years is asking for a blow out. Check the date code on your tires. That will tell you how old they are.
Not having problem with my tires, other than the shred, which was fully expected with their age. I went 2 years saying "I need new tires" but since I was good as gold(no issues), just kept going.... Even the shred was easy, noticed it happening, pulled over, replaced it with the spare....good to go.

My point, I'm not complaining about a 10 year old tire shredding or if all of them did, I'm asking what tires I have available are a solid choice.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-18-2014, 11:10 AM Reply   
Jack: My tire shop just said the opposite being that ST (trailer rated tires) have a stronger sidewall meant for the heavier loads they also provide better flex in the sidewall to help protect against the side ways forces a double axle trailer sees when in a tight turn and peeling the tires.
Old     (T_A)      Join Date: Feb 2013       06-18-2014, 4:38 PM Reply   
Been on carlisles for 3 years with no issues yet. It's the only trailer tire my Discount Tire carries in 14" rim
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       06-19-2014, 4:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrider View Post
Jack: My tire shop just said the opposite being that ST (trailer rated tires) have a stronger sidewall meant for the heavier loads they also provide better flex in the sidewall to help protect against the side ways forces a double axle trailer sees when in a tight turn and peeling the tires.
The tire stores told me that too. If you google the issue there is a lot of debate & many who argue in favor of both. The trailer shop told me the problem with trailer tires is once you go past 65 you get more sway which builds up heat & that is why you have see more trailer blow outs. With car tires as long as you buy the correct weight rated tire you wont have that issue, you can tow doing 75 & the sidewall strength becomes a non issue. My boat came with some really cool looking car tires & it has been a source of worry for some time. However, several thousand miles later I have had no issues & it came up cause I was asking this place to raise the trailer an inch so I could buy trailer tires & he said to save my money. My feelings were he could've sold me additional labor & tires but he instead opted to point me in another direction.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-19-2014, 6:06 AM Reply   
Car/light truck tires are the way to go, period. You see FAR more tire failures using trailer tires than car tires.

Trailer manufacturers are even using automotive tires depending on the tire size. Just get the correct load rating and be good to go. I've had numerous trailer tire failures over the years - they suck.
Old     (the_right_kind)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-19-2014, 6:26 AM Reply   
Check out Kumho tires, they're the only 14' trailer tire with a "D" rating that I've found.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....partnum=0R4857
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-19-2014, 6:54 AM Reply   
^^^ Can't order in, as I needed it done by the weekend.

Went with the Carlisle tires. No real reason for them over anything else, just where they were being sold, which is where I have purchased the last 4-5 sets of tires for my vehicles and felt pretty good about them, obviously keep going back.
Old     (Ewok01)      Join Date: Apr 2013       06-19-2014, 7:07 AM Reply   
I ordered those kumhos last year for my trailer and they tow great. They are rated for max load of 2,000lbs at 65 psi. I weighed my boat on the trailer last year too, with full tank of gas, full cooler, all the normal wakeboards and toys for the lake and it came in at 6,400lbs. I wanted a load clad D to give me some head room from the max tire load rating. But more important than the load rating is the age of the tires. Check the date stamp on the side and get the newest set you can. When ordering from tire rack to have to specify that you want the newest tires. They first sent me a set that was 2 years old and I sent them back, I replace mine every 6 years no matter what. I got another set that was 2 months old.

I know you got the Carlisle and that good, they are a good tire as long as they are less than a year old and you keep them at max psi. On the Goodyear marathon website there is a speed section that says you can exceed the speed limit of 65 mph by increasing the psi from 50 to 60, as long as you don't overload the tires. The number one killer of tires is low or under inflation, the number two killer is age.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       06-21-2014, 6:42 AM Reply   
I know it's late in the game, I will never tow anything that has carlise's on them. I have literally blown every carlise that has ever been on my trailers. No exaggeration. The first boat had carlise's, blew all 4 within the first 6 months (brand new boat and trailer). Second brand new boat and trailer blew two within the first 4 months, went and replaced all of them. The new boat purchased this year, I told the dealer if the trailer had carlise's when I came for the boat, I'd refuse delivery until something else was on the trailer. F Carlise's

That said, good luck with those!
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-21-2014, 12:19 PM Reply   
I actually had a Carlisle blow on the way home from the tire store. I couldn't believe it.