Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (milehighwake)      Join Date: Jun 2010       01-07-2015, 12:50 PM Reply   
It appears that for about $60K I can either go with a brand new MB Sports F21 Tomcat or a used (about 2010 or 2011) Mastercraft X15. My family likes to do it all; surfing, wakeboarding, slalom, tubing. However, non of us are every going to be Shaun Murray. I have a stern drive chaparral now so I think both are an upgrade from that. The problem I am faced with is whether to go with a brand new MB or a used MC. I would love to hear the good and bad for each scenario. What would you go with?
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-07-2015, 2:14 PM Reply   
Personally I would take the Tomcat, i love that boat. I would take it over a new X15 to be honest.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       01-07-2015, 2:28 PM Reply   
I'm a former MB owner and have 99% good things to say about the brand. One thing you can't do behind an MB though is slalom. They are not ski boats. Like not AT ALL. Still a giant vert curb wake at 30 mph. If skiing is a real consideration, keep looking.
Old     (Froggy)      Join Date: Nov 2013       01-07-2015, 2:41 PM Reply   
You wont be able to slalom behind the X15 either.
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-07-2015, 2:50 PM Reply   
new or something 5 yrs old........NEWWWWW!!!

Im a MB owner and love mine. From the surf wave to the wakeboard wake.
And as far as slalom....i do it behind mine alot as well as my dad. Hes 58 been skiing since 11 and said he loves it for slalom
Old     (milehighwake)      Join Date: Jun 2010       01-07-2015, 3:31 PM Reply   
Thanks for the feedback. I am leaning towards the new MB for the reason that it's new plus I can trade my chaparral in and save a little bit of $ on taxes. I recognize that a serious slalom skier will want to be towed behind a direct drive like a Malibu response. I am willing to trade slalom rides for wake surfing. Stay tuned. I am hoping to put together a deal together on a leftover 2014 F21 Tomcat at the boat show. We will see how bad the dealer wants to be rid of it.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       01-07-2015, 3:46 PM Reply   
Brian here's a very slightly used F22 for way less than $60....

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/bod/4833353376.html
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       01-07-2015, 7:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
Brian here's a very slightly used F22 for way less than $60....

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/bod/4833353376.html
I cant believe this thing is still for sale?? Is there a catch or just a trade in? Its been up a while...Pretty good deal
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       01-07-2015, 10:17 PM Reply   
I really like the 15 as a multipurpose boat. It's a great multisport platform. It's skis, wakeboards, and surfs good. Not the top in any aspect, but there has yet to be a boat its size and caliber that does all 3 disciplines as good as the 15 does. With that said its a discontinued hull and wasn't very popular in the market due to sitting in the back of all the Xstar hype. . You mentioned slaloming and if you any type if serious free ride skier I think you'll appreciate the 15 wake in that aspect.

However if slaloming isn't such a huge part MB all the way in this case. I don't drink the MB koolaid, but stacking up a brand new F21against the x15ans putting slaloming last the MB outperforms the x15 in this case. The wakeboard wakes are bit bigger weight for weight with longer transitions. The surf pocket is just a bit longer as well especially on goofy side. I think stacking up a 2011 MC to this 2014 has the MB pulling ahead in styling and offerings. However if skiing ranks pretty high in the list it may disappoint.

I would throw a Nauty 210 in the mix as well for a multisport 21ftr that does all aspects very well. It wakeboards and surfs better than the 15. Wakeboards and surfs every bit as good as the F21, but skis bit better . It wakeboards and surfs better than the x15 skis better than the F21 but not as good as the 15.

Man where was that f21 in August for me. Someone needs to snatch that up pronto

Last edited by xstarrider; 01-07-2015 at 10:23 PM.
Old     (allzway)      Join Date: Feb 2014       01-08-2015, 6:14 AM Reply   
We were doing a similar evaluation last year about this time.. New MB or used Malibu.

We went with new MB F22 and I still think it was the way to go.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-08-2015, 6:52 AM Reply   
This one is a little too close to home for me. I sold MB's for 6 years, have been selling MasterCrafts for 4 now, and am his local MC dealer in Denver. I will only bring up the two things that have been missed so far.

1. Resale - The MC will have much better resale in our market down the road. There is no disputing this fact.
2. Dealer Support & Reliability - 2011 X-15's mostly have Ilmor engines and we have seen an incredible decrease in warranty claims. MasterCraft states 85% decrease since the switch in 2011. We do not track our warranty claims in that manner, but that feels about right to us.

Do you know any local late model MB owners or MC owners? Ask them about their experiences. After all, that is what it is all about. The experience.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-08-2015, 7:07 AM Reply   
A family member has a 2007 X-15/350 engine, with over 370 hours on it now. I have spent quite a bit of time in it towing people and riding behind it. I think its a great boat, tons of room for a 21' 8" boat, great storage under seats and observer compartment, and a very nice looking boat on the water. You can definitely slalom behind one with the attitude plate, it helps flatten out the slalom wake. The wake board wake is also nice and more than plenty stock for the average joe wakeboarder, and the surf wake is not bad either with it properly weighted. The only issue he had was some braces were installed on the tower corners to help stabilize, and MC did this for no charge. He also has the factory JL tower speakers that sound really nice on the water.

The boat is now 7 years old and is in fantastic condition, still looks almost brand new, it is holding up with no issues. I cant speak for the MB you are considering, but I have been in a 2014 MB 23' TWB and it is also a nice boat, but I think MC has the edge on quality of build and resale down the road.

If you can demo them both this will give you a much better idea of what is going to work best for your situation. You cant go wrong with either boat, but if it were me I would probably go with the X-15.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-08-2015, 11:05 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by alans View Post
1. Resale - The MC will have much better resale in our market down the road. There is no disputing this fact.
If you are comparing the loss on a new mb to a second hand mc then yes i agree. If you are comparing new mc to new mb, then you need to be clear, are you comparing dollars depreciated or %?

Even when comparing % you tend to find super luxury brands depreciate faster than value brands because rich people only want new stuff. Look at the car market, bmw, audi, mb resales sucks once a car is out of warranty. Has anyone done a worked example for the boats market with 5 year old boats?

When you compare dollars it is not even close a 60k boat will always loose less value than a 90k boat
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-08-2015, 12:59 PM Reply   
Yes. I was referring to the 2 boats in question (new MB vs used MC)
Old     (skidaddy)      Join Date: May 2008       01-09-2015, 7:38 AM Reply   
If you are looking for a do it all boat, go MC X2. More than enough mwake for your described boarding level, good for surfing and if you get a trim tab on it, nice slalom and tubing wake as well. Bias note: may have my pristine 2008 X2 for sale here shortly as we have moved away from slalom and are now big wake centric.
Old     (Orange)      Join Date: Jun 2012       01-09-2015, 11:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighwake View Post
It appears that for about $60K I can either go with a brand new MB Sports F21 Tomcat or a used (about 2010 or 2011) Mastercraft X15. My family likes to do it all; surfing, wakeboarding, slalom, tubing. However, non of us are every going to be Shaun Murray. I have a stern drive chaparral now so I think both are an upgrade from that. The problem I am faced with is whether to go with a brand new MB or a used MC. I would love to hear the good and bad for each scenario. What would you go with?
Assuming the new MB and used MC are in the same ballpark of cost, the MC will end up being less costly over time. New boats drop in value quite dramatically over the first couple years where somebody else already took it in the shorts for you on a 3 year old boat.

Performance wise I can't speak to the MB F21 - never been on one. I used to ride and X15 all the time and it was awesome. It had a surprisingly good wakeboard wake, good surf wake (it liked a lot of ballast), and handled great pulling tubes. I never saw it's waterski wake, though always heard people refer to it as acceptable, but not great.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       01-10-2015, 7:33 AM Reply   
^suprisingly good? For a 90k boat it better not be a suorise to have a good wake of course that's just my opinion. I personally would take the mb with a warranty all day. But I'm not a fan of the "bling". More electronics is just more **** to go wrong in the future.
Old     (Orange)      Join Date: Jun 2012       01-11-2015, 10:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redheadd View Post
^suprisingly good? For a 90k boat it better not be a suorise to have a good wake of course that's just my opinion. I personally would take the mb with a warranty all day. But I'm not a fan of the "bling". More electronics is just more **** to go wrong in the future.
By "surprisingly" I meant more that the X15 doesn't get mentioned much so many people forget about it and it performs better than you would think given its "silent" reputation. I think its one of the hidden gems in MC's lineup. And your right - at 90k most if not all boats will have a wake that at least makes you smile. The relevant range in pricing for a used X15 can be as low as maybe 40-45K for a 2007 or up into the 80ish range for a recent vintage. (Was 2014 or 2013 the last model year?)
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       01-11-2015, 2:56 PM Reply   
Wait shawndoggy. You sold the b52 23'. You just got it. Going back to bu?
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       01-12-2015, 6:00 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhartt3 View Post
Wait shawndoggy. You sold the b52 23'. You just got it. Going back to bu?

Got it in 2011. Yes sold it this fall. It's in Moscow now. We were hemming and hawing between a t22 and a24, but got a deal I couldn't refuse on a slightly used 2014 Malibu LSV.
Old     (milehighwake)      Join Date: Jun 2010       04-30-2015, 12:39 PM Reply   
Thanks for all of the great replies folks. Interestingly enough I was able to find a 2012 Malibu 22 MXZ for $57K which is actually pro rider Phil Soven's former sponsorship boat. It has a few more hours on it (394 hours) but it in fairly good shape. Being a former pro's boat it is loaded with options. Basically everything except for surfgate since that wasn't available in 2012. Overall the condition is fairly good although I am slowly refreshing and replacing the little things. I even got a 6 month warranty from Malibu since they take the sponsorship boats back to the factory and go through them before reselling it. They missed a few things but my local dealer is fixing them with a little bit of encouragement via the warranty. It does have a few cosmetic stress cracks in the gelcoat but I plan to fix those in the upcoming winter which should leave me with a fairly well equipped and capable wakeboard/surf boat. The Mastercraft X15 was probably my favorite but I just couldn't find one that was a 2009 or newer for under $60K with the ZFT4 tower. The ZFT3 tower looked just to complicated for one guy to put up and down everytime I put the boat back in the garage. I will give the Malibu a season and see how it goes. See you on the water!!!
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       05-01-2015, 7:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighwake View Post
Being a former pro's boat it is loaded with options. !!!

By "loaded"I think u mean loaded with ballast!!!! I'm not sure I'd buy his boat honestly! Nice that u got the warranty! I think u made a great decision not going with a x15 with the 4pt tower because yes that would be a big pain to fold all the time! I also think the wakeboard wake is nicer on the MXZ. Only thing the x15 has on the bu is much more storage space and better build quality. But those yrs MC have their quirks also. What motor did that boat come with?
Old     (AZShreds)      Join Date: Aug 2014       05-01-2015, 9:38 AM Reply   
^^ Slammed to the gills with ballast
Old     (chriscno)      Join Date: Sep 2011       05-03-2015, 3:19 PM Reply   
I would go with the new MB. We used to have a 2012 MB Tomcat and have nothing but good things to say about the boat.