Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (OSUBUCKS)      Join Date: Feb 2017       01-26-2018, 6:52 AM Reply   
Tint looks good, wake does not look terrible for no weight. Good looking "classic style" boat
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       01-26-2018, 7:23 AM Reply   
Time for the CHART my friends.

Old     (TomH)      Join Date: Jan 2014       01-26-2018, 7:27 AM Reply   
Pretty crazy that the prices on that 12-year old chart aren't terribly far off. The used market has stayed pretty damn flat with the increasing new boat costs.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-26-2018, 8:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Pretty crazy that the prices on that 12-year old chart aren't terribly far off.
We sold our Supersport nautique after like 8 years and 600 hours for $2k less than I paid... it was amazing.

I'm certain I could sell out current boat for $5-6k more than I paid 3 years ago too.... the new boat pricing is keeping doing wonders for the 15-30k used market.
Old     (Rugger)      Join Date: May 2016       01-26-2018, 10:27 AM Reply   
Great choice on the boat. Its refreshing to read about older boats instead of another thread called "help me pick out colors on my new $100,000 boat." Older boats are so capable. Totally agree with above about most guys not needing the size wake they have. In fact, if you learn off of a smaller wakeboard wake you end up being more efficient with your form.

Great boat. Congrats!

My first boat was an '87 Sunsetter and we did everything on that boat. MartinArcher bought it... and added surf gate and a bunch of other mods. Here's what a classic direct drive is capable of!

https://www.wakegarage.com/projects-.../teakgate-r14/
Old     (Mississippihippie)      Join Date: Dec 2016       01-26-2018, 1:09 PM Reply   
i have been viewing that chart for a loooong time secretly
hoping each year the prices would drop. thanks everyone i am loving the mc. i plan on putting 100 hours on her this summer. going to get sacks and new 6x9s cabin speakers and just enjoy and regular maintenance.
Old     (Blamey)      Join Date: Apr 2016       01-27-2018, 7:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippihippie View Post
i'm still iffy about the tint. it's growing on me though. the other pic is the wake no weight 19 mph. tickets for skiing after dark and improper equipment. bogus tickets,
Is there any functional benefit to the tint or is it just for looks? I can only see it making things harder to see. Particularly if you like to where sunglasses.
Old     (Mississippihippie)      Join Date: Dec 2016       01-27-2018, 11:17 PM Reply   
just for looks....sounds kinda dumb
Old     (Blamey)      Join Date: Apr 2016       01-28-2018, 7:05 AM Reply   
Quote:
just for looks....sounds kinda dumb
Does it make things harder to see?
Old     (Reddog78)      Join Date: Mar 2017       01-28-2018, 9:41 AM Reply   
100% pointless.
Old     (Rugger)      Join Date: May 2016       01-28-2018, 1:07 PM Reply   
Looks primarily. Although for us a light tint is very nice to have... still wear sunglasses, keeps things on the dash cooler and is generally more comfortable on a really bright day. I used to hate tinted windows (saw them as pointless) until we test drove used boats that had them. I would not go any more than 30-35% even though 20% looks better.
Old     (Mississippihippie)      Join Date: Dec 2016       01-28-2018, 8:56 PM Reply   
i never look through the glass im always sitting on the back of the captains chair looking over the glass. memphis marine speakers any good?
Old     (mark197)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-29-2018, 6:19 AM Reply   
Tint + Bimini = cool spot for the kidos to hang out.
Old     (Reddog78)      Join Date: Mar 2017       01-29-2018, 6:23 AM Reply   
Never thought of it keeping cool. Makes sense. My buddy has a dark tint and I can’t see shot with sunglasses on. I hate it. Lol
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       01-29-2018, 7:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog78 View Post
100% pointless.
Tinted windows on a boat is one of the dumbest things ever to happen on these boats. I could make a list but that'd be up there. Even if it looks cool it is so ridiculous to think that you'd want any type of obstruction of your view on a craft that already has iffy visibility, even on the best boats available.

Like building a $4 billion dollar nuclear hunter-killer submarine and welding a windchime to the towed sonar array. So. Dumb.
Old     (Mississippihippie)      Join Date: Dec 2016       01-29-2018, 11:04 AM Reply   
i agree 100%. just adds a little character... atleast i don't have a lift kit on tow vehicle p
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       02-06-2018, 8:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
i have been viewing that chart for a loooong time secretly
hoping each year the prices would drop. thanks everyone i am loving the mc. i plan on putting 100 hours on her this summer. going to get sacks and new 6x9s cabin speakers and just enjoy and regular maintenance.
It makes me really really happy to hear that. Even is it is "secretly" looked at, criticized, challenged. I love it.

When I made that chart, it was because things were too crazy, but they've only gotten crazier. I still think all of the boats on the chart deserve to be on it. Rather than rehash why I made it, or apologize for never coming out with an update to it though, here's what I would like to say: I stand by every single boat on there, still. Every one. In fact there are only a couple of boats I'd add to it, even now. In fact, just one.

I'd adjust the chart only enough to get the Nautique Crossover 236/Super Air Nautique 230 on there somehow. That' the only one that I feel is so important to the evolution of these boats and represents an important milestone. I see it as being the last great traditional boat - and I am still in awe of it. So that's the one thing I'd do in a V2 of this thing. In the 12 years (holy bananas, has it really been that long) that have passed, not much else has changed.

I made it with a figure of $30k being the very-very highest I'd advise anyone to spend on a used wake boat. And I made it with the additional caveat that this prospective wake boat's primary use is very serious, behind-a-boat progression-minded wakeboarding. Not tubing, not wakesurf, just standard behind-the-boat riding.

The release of the G23 and G25 changed so much in terms of what a WAKE can be and how much it costs to get a pro-level wake. I wish I had made that point on my site. The G23 release was the most disruptive single product release I've ever seen in boat tech in the history of the sport. The G23 finally delivered on promises of a monster, crazy super-sized wake, and that costs what it costs. It changed what a "pro-level wake" meant, and if it didn't *actually* make effective trough-to-peak sizes so much bigger I would have been able to ignore it. Either way, for as much as I like & respect Correct Craft, my budget chart can't accommodate the big Nautique flagship. Not yet. But that boat changed everything.

So let's talk about the 230. 236. That is a very special boat. Runner up is the 2012 Supra Worlds edition. I absolutely love what they did there. As you all know it is really hard to integrate these big older flagship-type gorgeous boats. I'm working on something that should help.

Sorry this is so long. I wrote a long story about a $10,000 Sport Nautique and that is another big time awesome milestone. Amazing that a boat like that is becoming available to normal people. Very important - about as important as the Ski Nautique 2001. Working on something related to the Sport Nautique too.

TL;DR; The Correct Craft 230/236 is the boat I really would like to include in a V2 of that chart.

Last edited by juniorhawk; 02-06-2018 at 9:00 AM.
Old     (Blamey)      Join Date: Apr 2016       02-06-2018, 3:10 PM Reply   
That chart is legendary. It shaped my boat buying. When it initially came out the Ski Nautique was the only boat within reach for me and become the boat I wished I owned.

When I was able to think about affording a real wake boat I started to shop for a 2001 SN but realized that the Sport Nautique was the better boat for my needs and still within my budget.

A year later I upgraded to my new dream boat and first V drive, a 1996 Super Sport.

Then at the end of last year I upgraded again to a 2009 SANTE 230. Great to hear you still approve.

One thing I always wondered. Are the boats listed in order from best at the top to worst at the bottom or is the order random?
Old     (Reddog78)      Join Date: Mar 2017       02-06-2018, 3:57 PM Reply   
I have a 98’ sport nautique. If I’m not mistaken the hull changed in 97’ to the tsc hull. Why do you think they are so great?
Old     (OSUBUCKS)      Join Date: Feb 2017       02-06-2018, 7:20 PM Reply   
So what is it that you liked about the 2012 Supra, I would guess that would still be out of the 30k mark, I paid over that for my 09 22SSV last year.
Great list, look forward to V2.
Old     (Blamey)      Join Date: Apr 2016       02-07-2018, 5:51 AM Reply   
The 93 to 97 sport hull was just a longer version of the Ski Nautique NWZ hull from the same era.

The Ski hull changed to TSC in 96 and was a big step forward in terms of ski wake and is the TSC still holds it's own against today's top Ski boats.

The Sport Nautique hull change in '98 however was a relatively small modification to the Sports NWZ hull and was not related to the Ski's TSC hull. Nautique used the TSC brand name on the hull but this appears to be more a marketing desision rather then relating to the design.

I have never ridden in a 98+ Sport and there is very little info on how the change affected the wake for Wakeboarding but from what I can tell there wasn't much difference.

The Sport hull is great because it's clean and is good at slow speeds with little weight but will also handle as much weight as you are willing to put in the boat. The same hull was used in the flagship Super Air Nautique 210 until the hull change in 2007.
Old     (Reddog78)      Join Date: Mar 2017       02-07-2018, 6:16 AM Reply   
I was under the impression the pre 97’ hulls were the 210’s sister. Tbh I never run much weight as I’m a wakeskater and I feel the less weight the less stress in my motor. W2w related tricks aren’t even on my radar.
Old     (Blamey)      Join Date: Apr 2016       02-07-2018, 4:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog78 View Post
I was under the impression the pre 97’ hulls were the 210’s sister. Tbh I never run much weight as I’m a wakeskater and I feel the less weight the less stress in my motor. W2w related tricks aren’t even on my radar.
Yes the 93 to 97 Sports have the exact same hull as the 210's.

I realize I wasn't clear but what I was saying is the updated Sport Hull isn't very different although there is very little info on the wake behind these.