Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-15-2010, 12:35 PM Reply   
for some reason i thought there was one, i know there is for vests, but i searched all over and couldn't find anything with regards to spotters. my buddy and i were debating it the other night.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-15-2010, 12:41 PM Reply   
I believe 12 is the number.
Old     (gravity)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-15-2010, 1:15 PM Reply   
I had the same question. i was at the spokane boat show and asked the water pigs. they said as long as the person is capable of getting the flag up when it needs to be your good. my 9 year old son is the best. he reminds adults in are boat to get the flag up all the time. the cops said the wost flaggers are teenage boys. anyways, no age in wa.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-15-2010, 3:13 PM Reply   
No age listed at the state level. But pretty clearly says that it can be listed at the city or county level:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=352-60-120

WAC 352-60-120
No agency filings affecting this section since 2003
Water ski observer.
Qualifications. These rules are to establish minimum requirements for the observer required when water skiing on the waters of the state.

(1) The observer shall be physically capable and mentally competent of performing the following requirements:

(a) Continuously observe the skier or skiers;

(b) Inform the operator of the vessel towing the skier or skiers when they are no longer being towed;

(c) Raise the skier down flag as required when a person is in the water preparing to ski or returning to the ski vessel.

(2) Nothing in this section shall preempt local government from exercising any power that it possesses under the laws or Constitution of the state of Washington to adopt more stringent regulations on the qualifications for water ski observer.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-15-2010, 4:44 PM Reply   
thanks fellas, good to know. i've got another 3rd
Old     (mikebu)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-15-2010, 10:04 PM Reply   
I had a Coast Guard officer on Lake Washington tell me I should make sure my son, who was 10-11 at the time, was able to drive the boat. In case you fall in the water and he is the only person left on the boat. He said as long as you were next to him when he was driving they wouldn't give you any hassles...
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-16-2010, 1:40 PM Reply   
Thank god we don't need a spotter, much less a flag, in Florida. Then again, most places I ride have little to no enforcement and are not that busy.
Old     (plhorn)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-16-2010, 2:54 PM Reply   
Whoo hoo my five year old loves to hold the flag and wave it around!!!!