Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (nu2dagam)      Join Date: May 2004       07-07-2010, 11:38 AM Reply   
Has anyone had an issue with their fuel/water separator rusting. I replaced mine at the beginning of the summer and it was extremely rusted in there from sitting up over the winter I assume. I figured no big deal and replaced it with a new one. Just out of curiosity, I pulled it again last week to see if it was beginning to rust again, and it was rusting already. I dont want the rust to get to the injectors or anything like that. I use the sierra model from West Marine. Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks.
Old     (strife)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-08-2010, 6:23 AM Reply   
I use a NAPA Gold. Never had that problem. I change it at least once a year.
Old     (nu2dagam)      Join Date: May 2004       07-08-2010, 12:53 PM Reply   
I will try that NAPA Gold. I am assuming it is sold at the NAPA store? I never went looking there because Autozone and Advanced Auto dont sell fuel/water separators so I didnt think NAPA would either. Thanks for the input.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-08-2010, 1:50 PM Reply   
That's a good question. Same problem I used to see on a metal filter on my last ski boat with a carbureted engine. It looked just like an oil filter and it always had rust on it. I have a diesel boat with a Raycor separator containing paper filters and a clear plastic bowl. The Raycor type filter seems to make sense but I don't know what is the proper application for this type of filter. My 2001 Malibu has a canister looking fuel filter but I'm not sure if it does similar work to your filter.

With today's unstable fuels I wonder if I have good protection. Perhaps someone can chime in on the use of other filters that don't have parts that rust and current fuel injection systems.
Old     (nu2dagam)      Join Date: May 2004       07-09-2010, 7:51 AM Reply   
That Raycor filter is the way to go and would serve well to go between the existing fuel/water separator canister type filter and the gas tank, just for extra protection, but the oil can style filter has to be on there because it is attached to the bottom of the high pressure pump. I would think your 2001 malibu and my 99' supra would have somewhat the same set up in terms of how the fuel system is run. I am going to try one of those NAPA filters, the Sienna West Marine version just seems to be cheaply made if it is rusting in one week.
Old     (strife)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-09-2010, 8:11 AM Reply   
NAPA is soooo much better than autozone or advanced auto parts.