Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (doubleup_dan)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-24-2011, 5:47 AM Reply   
I have just got a new 2011 x2 which has the factory fly high ballast set up. So to make the bags from my 2010 contect I need to switch the quick connect valves on the bag.

The problem is that they came from flyhigh with the qucik release valves pvc cemented to the bag. Is it a case of heating it up or is there more to it then that?
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-24-2011, 5:57 AM Reply   
Call WakeMakers, they can walk you through it. I have had the best luck leaving the bag out in the sun (a heat gun can get too hot) and then just "pop" the fitting out. Do not try to unscrew it.
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-24-2011, 5:59 AM Reply   
Found the email they (WakeMakers) sent me.

As we discussed, here are the instructions from removing fittings from the bags. If you have any questions or concerns please let me know. You really can't do any damage unless you use too much heat, so better to start with not enough and try it a few times than use too much the first time.

1. Lay the bag out on a flat hard surface (a cement garage floor works well) with the fitting of interest sticking straight up into the air.
2. Using a hair dryer (and only a hair dryer, nothing more powerful) on it’s low setting, apply heat to the area where the black flange in the bag meets the grey fitting. Leave the hair dryer in place for AT LEAST five minutes.
3. With the hair dryer still pointed at the bag, stand with your feet on either side of the fitting so the soles of your shoes are on the black flange portion of the bag. The hair dryer should be between your heels pointing at the fitting in the direction you are facing.
4. With the hair dryer still pointed at the bag, push the end of the fitting straight away from you. Try to get the end of the fitting to touch the ground while your feet hold the flange of the bag flush with the ground.
You will be “popping” the fitting out of the bag, NOT unthreading it. If it doesn’t pop out the first time that’s fine, just start over with step one above. It usually takes a couple of tries to get the process down, but once you do it one time, the rest of the fittings will come out easily.
Old     (doubleup_dan)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-24-2011, 9:26 AM Reply   
thanks I will give this a try.

one question, will the fittings be usable after 'popping' them out?
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       05-24-2011, 9:30 AM Reply   
Yes you will be able to reuse them after you pop them out. If they won't pop out easily just keep the hair dryer on them longer. There is even a picture tutorial on the wakemakers site if you think you need it.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-24-2011, 9:44 AM Reply   
Yeah the real trick is the hair dryer. I have removed several and you really have to leave the hair dryer on it for longer than you think. I was able to just un-threat them, but it is still a bit of work. I have almost given up several times, but it will always work. Not sure why they glue the fittings. I have never had any leak and I typically just use plumbers tape and hand tighten..... I will try the popping technique next.
Old     (doubleup_dan)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-25-2011, 8:45 AM Reply   
thanks worked a treat!