Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       11-18-2020, 11:23 AM Reply   
Hi all, I've picked up a second hand sesitec system 2.0 and I'm slowly building a cable park. Sesitec have been very slow to reply to my emails and I figured surely we'd have some people in the brains trust here on Wakeworld who might be able to help! Just looking to find out how I should service the motor, particularly gear oils and motor oils, and would gladly love any other advice you can give. It was all working when I packed it down but it all looked like it needed some TLC before I put it up,

I've excavated the lake and hope to dig/pour the anchors in the next week or 2. If anyone is interested I'm documenting the build (I'm not a very handy person so I'll be as descriptive as possible).

Thanks for your help in advance!
Old     (paulharenberg)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-19-2020, 4:17 AM Reply   
I can't help on the Sesitec information, but I am definitely subscribing to your build.

As a civil engineer and a wakeboarder I've envisioned cable parks on all sorts of plots of land I've driven by, but based on the back of the napkin cost estimate couldn't justify one for myself and the cost of land in the Northeast.

I'm interested in following your build and wish you luck.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-21-2020, 8:29 AM Reply   
Looking forward to hearing more about it.
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       11-22-2020, 8:20 AM Reply   
Cheers, I'm about to start long service leave so I'll post my progress here this week!
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       11-24-2020, 2:15 AM Reply   
Following as well. Are you going to build your own features or source them?
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       11-24-2020, 3:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloungelife View Post
Following as well. Are you going to build your own features or source them?
Both, plus I am going to rebuild some of the old features that were at the park I bought - the kickers are pretty stuffed.
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       11-24-2020, 4:14 PM Reply   
So starting from the beginning - I had a swamp in the middle of my farm and the farmer that was leasing my land asked if he could dig a long recycling pond ( we couldn't call it a dam or a lake - council regulations) so he could use more of the land. I said twist my arm knowing full well the potential of such a body of water. The surrounding areas drain into it and the whole area floods if we get more than 100mm of rain. The pond is definitely long enough, but was really only wide enough for winching (~15-20m wide) and it pretty much sat there for 10 years. He only pumped out of it once in that time.
Attached Images

Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       11-24-2020, 4:18 PM Reply   
The second image shows my plans and the estimated final tower positions - unfortunately it was dug too close to the existing track so I have to run the cable over it (system would fit but anchors would not). I thought long and hard about this but decided that if it was too much I can fill some of the lake in and move it forward down the track.
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       11-24-2020, 4:31 PM Reply   
There's a long story behind the purchase of the park (I'll probably tell it sometime if anyone is interested) however after 11 years of working towards a house everything went ahead, and we were able to scrounge together enough to buy it. I immediately started draining the lake so it could be excavated. This poor little 6.5hp pump managed to drain the lake 1.5m (I ran it twice a day, sometimes more) over 4 months. I should mention at this stage, budget is very tight. I'm a teacher and sole income earner.
I also had to excavate some of the gutters on my property to help the water get away as the gutters weren't surveyed or leveled when put in.
Attached Images

Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       11-24-2020, 4:37 PM Reply   
Being an old cane farm and not really knowing who had worked it and what chemicals were used over that time, I decided to do a large set of water and soil testing for chemicals, metals, pesticides, herbicides - the works. Water quality is really important and although we'd swum in it previously, it had a lot of suspended clay making it look milky and I wanted to make sure. Over $400 worth of tests and everything came back with excellent results. The water quality is excellent. I will also be buying an electric pump to oxygenate the water (water fountain feature?)
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       11-24-2020, 4:55 PM Reply   
Last one for today - after draining the lake I got it excavated. To save money, the last cut dumped dirt next to the lake. I'm still not sure about this - it did save big $$$, and will reduce wind but may get in the way a little. Time will tell, I've already cut 2 big holes in it on the natural water paths so I don't end up with a swamp either side of the walls. Thank goodness for 4 in 1 buckets on tractors.

I love air tricks. As the system is 6m tall and I have to go across a road, i thought I'd build some pads to put the towers on to give me a little extra height . They are currently 1.5m tall, but I'm guessing they will compact over time (yes, 20t excavator compacted them as much as it could but gravity and water will still make a difference). This also will keep the system high and dry as the whole area is covered in a couple inches of water after heavy rain.
Attached Images

Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       11-24-2020, 5:01 PM Reply   
From the same spot as the pump earlier.
Attached Images

Old     (Andy_Mora)      Join Date: Oct 2012       11-25-2020, 12:46 AM Reply   
Thanks for posting all this! I really want to keep hearing more about this whole process.
BTW I'm a teacher too and probably like many on here, have always dreamed of having my own park. So it's pretty cool to see you doing this. I can live my dream vicariously through you haha.
Old     (Andy_Mora)      Join Date: Oct 2012       11-25-2020, 12:58 AM Reply   
I always mess around with SketchUp designing my dream parks. Here's one that's kind of "realistic" but probably still out of your budget especially with the bi level pool. Just thought I'd share anyway. If you can make this set up, I will be even more envious than I already am!
Attached Images

Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       11-25-2020, 7:14 AM Reply   
That's amazing Andy! Maybe I should move the track and make that section the upper level ...Probably WAY in the future. There's some awesome obstacles there.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-25-2020, 9:53 AM Reply   
OMG this is cool! PLEASE keep up the progress posting!!!
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       11-29-2020, 8:47 AM Reply   
So onto the system itself - It's a Sesitec System 2 from 2014. The park was a great little park that we have many fond memories of however due to illness the owners were unable to run it as a business any more. It shut down in 2017 and had been sitting there for 3 years. It runs on a Generator (which I will hopefully be able to save enough to put on a 3 phase connection before it dies).
The Generator got some water in the sump so we've flushed it a few times with new oil, and will need a new muffler, other than that it is working fine.
The System itself looks a little weathered (hence me wanting sesitec to reply re parts/ servicing). I'm hoping to pull it apart a little this weekend and clean it up/re-grease everything.

As you can see, the kickers aren't in great condition and will need to be rebuilt.
Attached Images

Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       12-02-2020, 10:53 AM Reply   
I bought a 400m coil of rope. This is to work out center as well as ensure the anchors & towers line up, and finally is used to pull the cable through, Unfortunately about 3/4 of the way to the other end I dropped it. After a couple of hours of untangling I had enough to get to the other end and run it between the center marks. I have another 150m of tangled rope sitting in my car for another day
Attached Images

Old     (Andy_Mora)      Join Date: Oct 2012       12-04-2020, 3:44 AM Reply   
The next time I complain about my boat rope/handle getting tangled I'll try to remember this...
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       12-06-2020, 5:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_Mora View Post
The next time I complain about my boat rope/handle getting tangled I'll try to remember this...
It's certainly put those tangles into perspective!
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       12-06-2020, 5:57 PM Reply   
On to the anchors - they need to be 1.5 x 1.5 and 1.2m deep I lined them up using the rope and stakes at my center points, then made sure they were square. Who'd have thought Trigonometry would be important in building a cable park!
Attached Images

Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       12-07-2020, 10:10 AM Reply   
awesome. I've also drawn up many a park in various configs over the years. Even walked a few tracts and discussed numbers but something always came up. sub'd and looking forward to updates.
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       12-07-2020, 2:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
awesome. I've also drawn up many a park in various configs over the years. Even walked a few tracts and discussed numbers but something always came up. sub'd and looking forward to updates.
I look forward to hearing your ideas! At the moment it will be pretty boring until I can get more hands on deck to build obstacles - a couple of kickers straight up but hopefully a pipe and some wallrides, A frames and anything else we can put together.
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       12-07-2020, 3:06 PM Reply   
The area I've chosen used to be a Melaleuca swamp (we call them paperbark trees in Aus) It was cleared a decade before we bought the property. More on that in a second...

We're in the middle of a drought which has been good for me to resize the lake, but has made the clay ultra hard to dig in accurately. Dug out the anchors - took me a whole day. One end was the super hard clay and was fiddly to say the least. The other end was the reason I mentioned the paperbark swamp, because I wondered what happened to all the logs. Turns out that they were buried and anytime I managed to get a wall accurate I'd snag a log and bring half of the wall down Nothing extra concrete can't fix I guess.
The steel and rio is being bent as you read this and hopefully the anchors will be poured next week.
Attached Images

Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       12-09-2020, 7:32 AM Reply   
digging that dry clay probably sucks, but good to know your anchors and water are staying put!
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       12-10-2020, 10:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
digging that dry clay probably sucks, but good to know your anchors and water are staying put!
Absolutely! I was worried that in making it bigger I'd go too far, hit sandy loam and it'd all seep out but apparently there was no chance of that happening
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       12-10-2020, 11:16 AM Reply   
Motor time. Had a mate (Jet engineer!) give up his weekend to help service the motor. I'm not the handiest of people but it was great how simple the set up is (to a degree). We pulled the grease points out and made sure they were working and re-greased everything that needed it, made a list of bolts that need replacing and put some lithium grease on the rest. We had a good look in the gear box but I still didn't know how much gear oil to put in at the time. Sesitec replied to some messages on Facebook (cheers!) so I think we've got the gear oil height sorted for now.

Despite looking very weathered, everything is in good condition!

We also had a look at the deflection tower. The bearings were working well but I noticed that the pulley wheel was worn. I had an unused spare that we rescued from the park - the shipping container that held all the spare parts had rusted through and water had been getting in for a couple of years so unfortunately a tremendous amount of gear was ruined. The spare pulley's bearings were corroded beyond recovery. We thought about swapping the bearings but we decided to get some new ones. Hopefully they'll be ready in the next couple of weeks.
Attached Images

Old     (Javi)      Join Date: Aug 2016       01-20-2021, 2:23 PM Reply   
Very cool. A lot of work I bet. On the features, the plastic sheet is one of the expensive parts, assuming they are using high quality polyethylene with a good UV resistance package in it. If you can make sure those don't break on you while fixing them, you should be good. The frame underneath and whatever you use as floats (barrels, etc) is pretty straight forward to do. I subscribed. Looking forward to seeing how it goes.
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       01-22-2021, 11:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Very cool. A lot of work I bet. On the features, the plastic sheet is one of the expensive parts, assuming they are using high quality polyethylene with a good UV resistance package in it. If you can make sure those don't break on you while fixing them, you should be good. The frame underneath and whatever you use as floats (barrels, etc) is pretty straight forward to do. I subscribed. Looking forward to seeing how it goes.
So true! I had the chance to get all the old obstacles but simply didn't have the means of transport or manpower to get them. I regret that now as I've started pricing obstacles (homemade and some of the big names) and realised that they can cost more than the park itself. I've touched base with the people that own the property in the hope that they haven't trashed them and I can come in and tear them down for the sheeting.
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       01-22-2021, 11:40 AM Reply   
Hi team, it's been a big summer but ironically the rain is both slowing us down but also not enough. More on that on an upcoming post.
The next steps were more nerdy - the laptop that has the sesitec software is over 8 years old so I got a mate to clone the drive for me and back it up, Being the champion he is he also put it on an SSD, made a copy with windows 10 and created an ISO.

A bit sad I had to cut the reeds as they are a natural water filter. Unfortunately they were quite long and once water fills the lake they'd be just below the surface - landing amongst them wouldn't be a pleasant experience for a new rider or someone who is a bit water phobic. Hopefully they will seed and grow by the edge once it's full. Also, brush cutting in mud sucks.
Attached Images

Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-24-2021, 2:33 PM Reply   
they're great for wave management too. I think the way you cut them, they'll come back
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       01-27-2021, 2:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
they're great for wave management too. I think the way you cut them, they'll come back
You're 100% right. We'd expected a great deal of rain (it was predicted that we'd get over 200mm of rain) so I just trimmed them, and letting them die when they get no light from all the water on top of them. Instead we got 80mm which was no where near enough to fill the lake. Unfortunately they've grown back and I'll probably have to poison them which I really hate the idea of.
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       01-29-2021, 10:01 AM Reply   
Love the updates!
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       01-29-2021, 10:51 AM Reply   
After a bit of mucking around we got the anchors ordered. The instructions were in German (not a massive problem) including the rio and bar sizes and strengths ( more of a problem). I ended up contacting a mate who had worked at a few cable parks (shout out Jake) who knew the guy that installed the system 2 at their park and he sent through better instructions.

After a couple of weeks of waiting, the local company that was going to do the bending decided that the job was too small and that we would have to wait 4 months. As wet season was coming I wanted to get everything done when it was dry otherwise it'd be another 4-6 months before the far end would be dry enough to get a concrete truck in. Fortunately a mate of mine was able to then do the bending himself.
Unfortunately the delay meant that on the day we were going to pour, we had 80mm of rain overnight. My anchor holes were filled with water and collapsed. I had to pump each hole out and leave them to dry for a week however I couldn't just jump into the holes and dig them out as the bottom was covered in a soup of muddy clay about 40cm deep. Had we not been delayed even one day we'd have had everything in and ready to go.

Turns out that it was a good thing. More on that later.
Attached Images

Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-29-2021, 3:45 PM Reply   
This is MAJOR fun to watch. Keep it coming and best of luck.
Old     (LukeR103)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-03-2021, 5:08 AM Reply   
Looking sick! Not sure if you've seen the videos from backyard rail park but they built their own 2.0 and rails. The lakes were already there, but still was a giant project. Keep on pushin!

http://www.backyardrailpark.com/buil...keboard-cable/

Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       02-03-2021, 1:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeR103 View Post
Looking sick! Not sure if you've seen the videos from backyard rail park but they built their own 2.0 and rails. The lakes were already there, but still was a giant project. Keep on pushin!

http://www.backyardrailpark.com/buil...keboard-cable/

Definitely! These guys are awesome and I love how they built almost EVERYTHING! I wish I had those skills
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       02-09-2021, 2:14 PM Reply   
So while I was waiting for the park to dry enough to get the concrete in I had a few more jobs to do. I had a mate replace the bearings on the deflection tower and I found a new pulley for it too. I also noticed that we have a native aquatic weed known as a smart weed (apparently that's what it's called). Smart weed propagates through seed and by being broken into pieces. Not ideal so we've been walking the edges, pulling it out and burning it once it's died. One end is covered in it and difficult to access so I'm going to need the excavator again. Good thing I have lots more work to do!
Attached Images

Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       02-09-2021, 2:17 PM Reply   
Also, a mate got to work on the tangled rope. This made me very happy!
Attached Images

Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       02-16-2021, 4:59 PM Reply   
After the rain I let the pads settle and pumped out the anchor holes. It was actually a good thing I was delayed as they really hadn't settled and small sink holes had appeared on top of the pads. I took this opportunity to also build some ramps to each pad so I could drive the tractor/excavator up on them. This also would come in handy for the concrete. Finally I dropped a pile of spill on there ready for excavator day X 2.
Attached Images

Last edited by razorjaw; 02-16-2021 at 5:01 PM. Reason: Holes on pads
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       02-16-2021, 5:08 PM Reply   
Excavator day 2! I got so many jobs done that I even went and did some extra farm work with it.

After a week of rain I finally got the:

Sink holes in pads filled ✅
Anchor holes dug back out ✅
Pads levelled ✅
Sand on pads for concrete ✅
Aquatic weed pulled ✅
Attached Images

Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-17-2021, 11:59 AM Reply   
Nice! It's looking great!
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       02-18-2021, 4:56 PM Reply   
After 4 false starts, 2 minor rain events and negotiation with the farmers I finally have Concrete. 2 and a half months after the Rio was ready we dropped it in over an afternoon. The anchors are ugly but we couldn't form them up nicely as the edges had been eroded by the rain events. One of the issues I'd had was that the far deflection tower is right next to the lowest point on the property as well as the water way for run off from my neighbours. Every time they irrigated a field the access turned into a sodden mess and needed 3 days of dry to be able to drive on. Pretty stoked but still some big work to do... especially now that funds are getting really tight thanks to Covid.
Attached Images

Last edited by razorjaw; 02-18-2021 at 4:57 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       02-18-2021, 5:00 PM Reply   
One more of the anchor
Attached Images

Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       03-05-2021, 11:59 AM Reply   
We're in the middle of a drought at the moment so while no rain has been good for all the work I've been doing around the lake, we're going to need something to ride on soon! Just a couple of side projects as we finally built a house. We own 20+ PFD's as we live on a river and our major rule is that no-one enters the water without a PFD on (whether swimming, kayaking or boating).
I also build a board rack. The configuration is a bit ugly but making it this way I was able to get 2 more wakeboards and 1 more skate. I will probably have to build another one down the track.
Attached Images

Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       03-14-2021, 6:37 PM Reply   
Hi team, anyone on here know what kind of steel rope I should look at getting as a replacement for the old one?
Old     (LukeR103)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-17-2021, 12:51 PM Reply   
I think the running cable is 10mm. If you want to be sure you can bring the pulley with you and make sure the cable fits in there before you buy a big spool of it.
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       03-17-2021, 1:55 PM Reply   
Cheers, I got the specs from the team at WakeUnion and Sesitec also replied to an email! 8mm, 6x19 with a fiber core, galv.
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       04-11-2021, 1:00 PM Reply   
Hi team,
I've been slowly plugging away at the park. It was a busy term - I didn't even get out for a boat set! We finally had some rain but unfortunately the big rain hit about 3 mile from my place - they got 130mm and I got 30 100mm would fill the lake right about now, but at least everything is greening up. I finally moved the towers into position and assembled them just before the rain hit.
Attached Images

Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       05-07-2021, 3:38 PM Reply   
Progress has been frustratingly slow. I'm lucky to get half a day a week to work on it but I am making progress. I made some pins for the front of the tower after hearing about how one collapsed. They will also stop it from sliding if I have to lower the cable. At the moment they will just attach to the front of the feet, but I am planning to use the old 10mm cable to run to the top.

Speaking of the old 10mm anchor cable, I had some more made as the old cable was too short (my tower is higher therefore the anchor ropes need to be much longer.) The rio used was twice as thick as the old one which also meant I needed to get 6t D shackles to fit. This is certainly over engineered.

Also pictured are the supports for the deck. They will sit in the water. When it finally rains :| I'll make a wood deck that leads to a floating launch dock.

Finally, the pads have collapsed a little again so I have to fix them up. This time I'm just burying them in sand to make up for the clay. Once done, I will re-measure true center, mark on the pads where the towers need to go, put the motor on and get the cranes in.
Attached Images

Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-07-2021, 3:44 PM Reply   
It's looking great!!! So stoked for you on this project.

That first ride is going to be amazing!
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       05-09-2021, 2:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshugan View Post
It's looking great!!! So stoked for you on this project.

That first ride is going to be amazing!
It's going to be unreal alright! I won't know myself
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       06-19-2021, 10:49 PM Reply   
I managed an afternoon at the old site to start tearing down the old funbox. It was far too big/in disrepair to move, but the HDPE and floatation is still vey usable. Got about half of it off and will head back in a few weeks. HDPE is extraordinarily expensive here so I'm glad to be saving a few $ with a little hard work.
Attached Images

Old     (bboozer)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-20-2021, 12:59 PM Reply   
This is a great thread to read and I applaud you for all the hard work that you have already put in... I am sure that you ha E learned a lot in the process also...
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-22-2021, 7:56 AM Reply   
anchors in! nice work
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       07-04-2021, 12:34 PM Reply   
I finally got 2 weeks break for winter... and it is raining. Very unusual for this time of year but it's really put a hold on plans because this was supposed to be the break where I get time to finally put up the park. I'd rant and rave over how frustrated I am however if I wasn't putting up a cable park, I'd be stoked that our tanks are full so...

Anyway, the carrier was pretty stuffed. New bearings were definitely needed and the carrier body had rusted so much it had warped. A mate made me up a new one and we cleaned up all the axles, replaced the bearings etc. Loads of good ideas on this one and we may even replace this with something that has been laser cut when I finally come up with a name for it.
Attached Images

Old     (seanbuc)      Join Date: Jun 2019       07-09-2021, 8:18 AM Reply   
Very nice!
Old     (bboozer)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-10-2021, 5:38 AM Reply   
Wow.... That 1st ride is going to feel GREAT.... especially after all the work that you have done
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       08-13-2021, 12:47 PM Reply   
Well, the motor is on the tower. Unfortunately the pads have sagged meaning that the footings I poured are on an angle. I will be correcting them...well who knows when. Work for myself and my wife is overlapping our weekends and time is so hard to come by. On the positive side, the moment the concrete pads have cured I will be getting the crane in and putting the towers up. In the mean time I will be working on the generator pad and enclosure. This will also hold the system 2 control electronics / keep them protected & cool (it actually has an air conditioner!). Hope everyone has had a great summer! I got the boat out for the first time last week (it's still winter here but the water temp is getting very ridable).
Attached Images

Old     (bboozer)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-14-2021, 2:07 PM Reply   
Good luck.... At least maybe you can get it done for your summer....
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       08-20-2021, 12:53 PM Reply   
After all the beautiful work we did on the footings, the dirt pads sunk a little in the middle. They're made of clay, so no surprise. Added more sand and I'm aiming to correct them today.

The generator slab is done now too, so once I've corrected the footings I can get the crane in and get these towers up! I may have to take a day off work and give it a big push. No rain on the horizon at the moment so it may actually happen on time!
Attached Images

Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       08-26-2021, 6:12 PM Reply   
A monumental day that nearly didn't happen! Running my usual luck, we had a freak storm the morning the cranes were due to come that dropped 10mm in less than 10 minutes. This would have been fine however the farm is being cultivated at the moment and the tractor operator came too close to the pads (despite being told many times not to), leaving the earth all churned up & wet and no way for the crane driver to get to the site - we were out by a couple of meters. My luck is incredible! However, it turns out that a good mate of mine was rigging (total fluke) and he was able to manually extend the crane enough to move the tower and then we went from there I fixed the slabs several days earlier so everything is nice and level. I also put the generator up on its pad, ready for its enclosure.
In the pics you can see for now I've used the front pin to hold it in place and hopefully I'll get the cable up this weekend - a monumental task in itself as there was no spool to put it on when we packed it down so it may be a little messy as it's just looped together. The cable is also not in great nick, so I'll be ordering a new one early next year.
I really like the safety of the front pin - I was going to use it to secure the feet from slipping however I think I'll also attach it to the front of the tower as a last resort should the cable give way.
Attached Images

Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       09-23-2021, 12:14 PM Reply   
Hi team! Hope those of you in autumn are getting your best rides in for the season! We're coming out of winter here, beautiful warm to hot days but cold mornings!
I bit the bullet and bought a new wire rope. The old one was pretty fatigued and I figured this would save me the hassle of pulling it down and putting up the new one in a few months. We'd planned to put it up after school but the guy helping me (also a teacher) had a meeting. We got started a little late and ended up working into the night. I was very impressed with my hat torch!
The carrier was missing a couple of washers (can't figure out how I lost them) so I tensioned it enough to get the cable out of the water and will get the final parts sometime this week.

Started on the generator shed next. There was a pile of leftover roofing sheeting sitting at the old site that they were going to throw away, so I grabbed it and I'm glad I did. It's a bit short but saves me $$$. It's taken me a few days of work, but will be worth it in the long run. This will also hold the electrical components. Down the track I plan to put on 3 phase power, so this shed will then become storage for gear/wakeboards etc.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and follow the build!
Attached Images