Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-17-2017, 12:01 PM Reply   
As a Advanced user I feel stupid admitting what I'm about to tell you but Hopefully it can help others so it's worth it.

The 6 batterys in my Nautique are 4 years old and nearing their natural service life so it's not so bad. But I have a fairly advance charging system so they should have lasted 1-2 years more Tops.

Bottom line if your charger has a Temp sence make sure it's set on HOT.
When batterys are warm they become extra absorbant meaning they will take a larger charge then is good for them. This will cause the batteries to bulge and can even cause them to leak.

Typically I put my boat away in a Hot garage after the batteries have had a hard work out all day long and then I plug the charger in and that's where my damage is or was happing you can see how the batterys have a curve to them. (That's bulgeing) make sure if your charger has a temp sence or remote temp sence you have it set to HOT worst thing is your charger is less aggressive when set to hot.
Attached Images

Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-17-2017, 3:36 PM Reply   
Grant- What charger is that?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-17-2017, 5:40 PM Reply   
The best battery charger on the market
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       07-18-2017, 5:59 AM Reply   
so it was the batteries causing the start sequence issue you were having?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-18-2017, 6:31 AM Reply   
The Charger is a Zantrex True charge 60 Amp. And Yes the batteries were saying 1 thing and doing another. Example they would sit at 12.8 volts but as soon as you hit start or places a load on them they would just clap out. Then the voltage would go right back to 12.8 so using the Volt meter on the dash was not a true indicator of my batteries strength
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-18-2017, 9:40 AM Reply   
Perhaps part of my Winter routine when the boat gets little action I could place the charger on Warm or Cool. That would make much more Charging sence. But when you think about it. If your out on your boat using the batteries as they were intended, they are gonna be warm. Then you plug your boat in thinking your doing yourself a favor. I'm gonna hook up the Remote Temp sence. This way the charger will automatically ramp up or slow down the charge amps and Voltage depending on how warm or cool the batteries are. My Balamar charging system has both a Temp sence on the alternator and the battery that regulates charge. Just didn't have one hooked up on the shore charger
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-18-2017, 9:43 AM Reply   
Here is a pic of my charger and another pic of the remote display panel this shows the charge status of each of my 3 banks of batteries
Attached Images

Old     (spencerwm)      Join Date: Feb 2009       07-19-2017, 11:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
Here is a pic of my charger and another pic of the remote display panel this shows the charge status of each of my 3 banks of batteries
I love the Xantrex inverter charger in my camper. You are rocking some bad ass hardware in your boat Grant. I have been using a simple 40 watt AriXsun Energy portable solar panel for my boat and it rocks. I was replacing batteries every couple of years. Now I just throw a panel up and never worry about a dead battery. Has a built in 5 stage charge controller. I had a coupon for 15% off. I will have to dig it out.
Attached Images

Old     (spencerwm)      Join Date: Feb 2009       07-19-2017, 11:49 AM Reply   
The coupon code for arixsun energy is "Wakeboat17". It should still work.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-19-2017, 1:43 PM Reply   
Spencer: that's pretty cool. My boat sits indoors all year long so the panel would not be practical. How many amps can that panel put out
Old     (spencerwm)      Join Date: Feb 2009       07-19-2017, 4:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
Spencer: that's pretty cool. My boat sits indoors all year long so the panel would not be practical. How many amps can that panel put out
Yeah. My boat is in the garage a lot but during the summer we camp almost every weekend so the boat is outside. With that little panel I get 2 amps. I am going to get a mount made next week to get that on the tower or in front of the windshield so I can charge while I drive.

My camper system is a little bigger. I think I have about 250 watts of panels up there. I am getting between 10 and 15 amps which off sets my power usage during the night.