Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (stxdeadI)      Join Date: Oct 2016       11-01-2016, 1:14 PM Reply   
I am in need of a new vest and cannot find any opinions on the Ronix Parks Athletic cut vest. I havent used a non cga vest before and curious as to how well they float ya.

Any of yall use one?

http://www.evo.com/wakeboard-vests/r...ack-orange.jpg
Old     (Paul_42186)      Join Date: May 2013       11-01-2016, 7:08 PM Reply   
I have a CWB Team Pullover vest Non CGA and really like it. Other than the Ronix Parks vest has a zipper, it looks similar to mine, much thinner than a CGA vest. Non CGA vests have some float, but it is not the same as a CGA. My first Non CGA vest was a side-entry with a zipper, I have lots of problems with zippers breaking and I never thought I would like a pullover, but once I tried it, I really like it.

Once you get used of it, you will really like it.
Old     (stxdeadI)      Join Date: Oct 2016       11-01-2016, 8:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_42186 View Post
I have a CWB Team Pullover vest Non CGA and really like it. Other than the Ronix Parks vest has a zipper, it looks similar to mine, much thinner than a CGA vest. Non CGA vests have some float, but it is not the same as a CGA. My first Non CGA vest was a side-entry with a zipper, I have lots of problems with zippers breaking and I never thought I would like a pullover, but once I tried it, I really like it.

Once you get used of it, you will really like it.
Thx for the input. I am actually hesitant on pulling the trigger on a 150 dollar non cga pullover style myself. Hence why I really like the parks with the zipper
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-02-2016, 9:42 PM Reply   
I started this season with the 2015 Ronix Bill Impact vest, exact same vest as the Parks listed above except different colors. I rode it once for wake boarding at the cable park and it was awesome, most comfortable zipper-front vest I've ever worn, and I've probably owned at least a dozen or more impact vests since O'Neil brought the first one to market in 1980s. Great vest for the wakeboard park, in any event. Problem is following weekend I was doing slalom course sets and took a moderately hard crash, and the Bill vest literally pulled right off my body and wound up floating nearby. If I was knocked out I would have sank. Never had a vest do that ever. That was the last time I wore it, because I want one vest that works for both sports. Intended to post to eBay but never got around to it. Will sell for $50 if anybody wants it. Worn twice honestly, would easy pass for new. Size M, it's the grey/silver pattern one with the glow in the dark Ronix logo and penguin on front.

Regarding the other questions, none of the impact vests will float you as well as CGA, but for me it is enough flotation. I've only ever used impact vests for past 30 years so it feels normal. I don't like the bulk of CGA vests and feel like the Michelin Man man if I put one on.

Re Paul E's experience, I tried a pullover non-zip last year (O'Neil Checkmate), and it was SUPER comfortable and actually seemed to help my skiing, but for me too much PITA to get it on and off. I've suffered separated shoulders twice, and the effort (and pain) of contorting myself to get in and out of the O'Neil pullover was not worth it, so I sold it. FWIW for several years I had a Jet Pilot with side zip, and that one was great, no trouble at all to get it on and off.

Anyway, not telling you what is best for you, because obviously different variables are meaningful for different people, but I thought I might share some considerations with you.

Last edited by dococ; 11-02-2016 at 9:48 PM. Reason: typo
Old     (stxdeadI)      Join Date: Oct 2016       11-03-2016, 6:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dococ View Post
I started this season with the 2015 Ronix Bill Impact vest, exact same vest as the Parks listed above except different colors. I rode it once for wake boarding at the cable park and it was awesome, most comfortable zipper-front vest I've ever worn, and I've probably owned at least a dozen or more impact vests since O'Neil brought the first one to market in 1980s. Great vest for the wakeboard park, in any event. Problem is following weekend I was doing slalom course sets and took a moderately hard crash, and the Bill vest literally pulled right off my body and wound up floating nearby. If I was knocked out I would have sank. Never had a vest do that ever. That was the last time I wore it, because I want one vest that works for both sports.
How did it pull off you? Over the hid staying zipped or come unzipped and off the back?
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-03-2016, 5:56 PM Reply   
This might sound weird or retarded, but I realized after I typed that, I don't remember with 100% certainty. Often slightly disorienting to take a good yard sale like that, and as things come back onto focus, there is sort of a learned reflex to immediately start self-assessing for injury. So all that was happening, and then it was confounded but the emerging awareness that I'm not floating and holy ****e, my brand new vest is no longer attached. I'm pretty sure it came unzipped. It seems even more unlikely it would have slipped over my shoulders and head, and I feel I would have remembered that due to the even greater improbability of it. Every other zipper vest I've ever owned also had a belt/strap with clasp, but this one doesn't. It could have been a freak one in a million incident, but I just decided not to take the chance again since I've had so many friends get injured on slalom, plus memory of the Corey Kraut incident. Honestly I would feel totally safe wearing it again for wakeboard, especially at the park where I wear a shirt over my vest. But I just put the Ronix on the shelf after that because my friend gave me an old LF team impact vest that is rock solid despite looking totally trashed.

Last edited by dococ; 11-03-2016 at 6:00 PM.
Old     (stxdeadI)      Join Date: Oct 2016       11-05-2016, 7:54 PM Reply   
So I went ahead and bought one and loving it so far!