Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Davido)      Join Date: Aug 2014       08-17-2014, 1:28 AM Reply   
Hi all,

Sorry to make my first post a question, but I have tried searching around to no avail!

I started wakeboarding late last season so have picked it up again this year. I ride at cable parks mainly due to cost so have been buying my gear on that basis.

I was looking at some new bindings (currently have budget open toe Jobe setup) but had a few questions:

Are Hyperlite the only manufacturer that do a seperate boot/chassis setup? i.e. where you can keep the boot on all day and just clip into the board. I'm liking this idea as normally when you fall off a cable you have a long stony walk back to the dock!

As a temporary solution, does anyone ride wearing wetsuit boots (thin ones) inside their bindings for a bit of extra warmth? As I have open toe it should still be easy to fit into them. I'm thinking this could be a budget solution until funds allow for a new boot/binding setup!

Cheers all, any advice would be appreciated!
Old     (Davido)      Join Date: Aug 2014       08-17-2014, 11:19 AM Reply   
Well as this thread has clearly taken off (subtle sarcasm there) I thought I'd throw in another question

What would you guys recommend for a first set of closed toe bindings? Been looking at the liquid force and job setups but getting a bit lost with it all. Does stiffNess have that much of an impact of is it something you only notice when you reach a certain level?

Think that's it for now!
Old     (99Bison)      Join Date: Sep 2012       08-17-2014, 12:35 PM Reply   
Ok, since this thread indeed is so hot... some info here, only boat person here but...

Byerly at least also makes "system" style bindings (separate boot binding as you stated).

IMO good bindings are noticeable from day 1 vs slop and huge flex of cheapo's. The stiffness also IMO is noticeable as soon as you have some technique. Beyond the cheapo bindings the stiffness is matter of preference.

Not sure about wetsuit boots, but full suits never have bothered me. Seems like boots might be bothersome though.

Obviously try any bindings you can find on to give you some idea. Ronix generally speaking come across as the most comfortable line, the cwb JT and md are also comfortable IMHO. Comfort depends a lot your your individual foot though.
Old     (aljazp)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-17-2014, 1:21 PM Reply   
Look at slingshot shredtown and cwb prism boots.. i havent tried it, but i think your idea could work so if you have wetsuit boots just try it and write how it went..
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-18-2014, 4:49 AM Reply   
I have seen people use wetsuit booties, I would not do it with closed toe as you will stretch them too much.

On a personal note I would not buy Liquid Force bindings again, they do not fit to size and the foot liner moves about on hard landings and they are not as durable as other brands. But that is just my experience, other people may come on here and tell you different.
The CWB Prisms would also work but the neoprene around the achilles seems to tear pretty quickly in those puppies.
I have not seen any issue with the Shredtowns.

Does your local cable have a pro shop? If so chat to them, they may have a demo program or ride passes if you purchase gear from them.
If cash is an issue, hold off until October and this years stock will go on sale and you may pick up a bargain.
Old     (Davido)      Join Date: Aug 2014       08-18-2014, 11:50 AM Reply   
Hi all, thank you for the replies!

Good shout on the Liquid Force bindings! Was actually looking at some for next season so will bear that in mind for sure!

Local park does have a shop, but they are very hit and miss with the advice. The weekend staff (only time I can go due to work) seem to have not much interest in the products or riding advice. Guess I must be putting them off with all my questions :P

Will keep hunting and see what i can pick up over the winter.

Last question (for now) - Are the seperate binding/chassis actually called a system style binding or is there another name for them? Probably easier than searching "wakeboard bindings that are like a boot and a plate. but seperately".
Old     (99Bison)      Join Date: Sep 2012       08-18-2014, 12:02 PM Reply   
"System" seems to be the hyperlite term as they introduced them. Afaik that's the only referenced name for them... Otherwise you could also google for "snowboard style wakeboard bindings"
Old     (rplogue7)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-21-2014, 7:40 AM Reply   
Your overthinking the whole system binding layout. Yes, it's new. From working at a shop, I've had numerous people coming back loving them, saying they have such elaborate control. On the other hand, others have said they're too loose, and they feel like they're riding on a rickety platform that's about to fall apart. Point is, it's all preference. For cable boots, Slingshot seems to be the binding / boot of choice. Closed toe is a must. If you want to dump out some money and pick up a pair of the top of the line boot that CANNOT and WILL NOT dissappoint you, the LF Watson and the Ronix Frank are probably the best all-around utility boots. Anyways, best of luck.. and just about anything will be a huge upgrade from those Jobe OTs.. Check out evo.com and find some boots from last year. they always have sick deals
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-21-2014, 8:43 AM Reply   
picked up some Watson closed toes end of year last year. Should be able to find some deals as season is slowing down in most areas. love mine!
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       08-22-2014, 2:39 PM Reply   
I would back Slingshot Shredtowns or the RADs from 11' - 13'. All of them have a removable liner with a sole that you can walk around in. This makes them perfect as you never take off the inner liner when riding cable. That way you can walk back to line without busting your feet up.