Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ride152)      Join Date: Nov 2005 Location: Maumee River - Ohio       07-10-2014, 10:22 AM Reply   
A friend of mine recently purchased a 2003 Moomba LSV and wants to install perfect pass.

We are thinking that the Star Gazer Wake Edition is the right fit. Just want to be sure he is getting the best one for his buck. Suggestions and feedback encouraged!
Old     (novaman64)      Join Date: Jun 2014       07-10-2014, 10:49 AM Reply   
I jsut went through the same thing and ended up getting the Hydrophase unit.. Might want to read this.. jsut did a review on it.. http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=802679
Old     (blackstang)      Join Date: Dec 2013       07-10-2014, 11:11 AM Reply   
I second the Ridesteady option from Hydrophase. I installed mine a couple months back and couldn't be happier with it.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-14-2014, 3:55 PM Reply   
If you ride on a river with current you should stay with a paddle wheel unit. If there is no current on your riding water then go with a GPS based unit. Ridesteady is popular with the wakeboarding community, based as a wakeboard product. Stargazer also works well but it was originally based as a 3 event water ski product. The wakeboard mode is an adaptation of the trick mode, it still works very well once it is dialed in for the boat. The Stargazer might be a bit more complicated to dial in.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       07-14-2014, 4:30 PM Reply   
In for suggestions as well. I'm looking to get a cruise system and I'm really leaning toward the ridesteady. Great price and also has air/water temp
Is either the ridesteady or stargazer good for surfing?
Old     (novaman64)      Join Date: Jun 2014       07-14-2014, 5:52 PM Reply   
I think either or would worl.. try GPS mode, and if that doesnt fly then hit RPM mode...
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-15-2014, 5:02 AM Reply   
I recently installed the hydrophase ridesteady and have been very happy with it since it includes air and water temperature as well as a compass so when we go to an unfamiliar lake it makes it easier to navigate around plus it has the easily adjustable knob that makes a change with just a small spin either direction.
Justin was very helpful when i needed to dial it in even more, even on a Sunday he called me right back for a quick answer.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       07-15-2014, 2:39 PM Reply   
I assume you have searched the word "stargazer" on this site?

I can't imagine a simpler install than stargazer.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       07-15-2014, 2:40 PM Reply   
Oh, and I can't see why stargazer wouldn't work for surfing. I used to set it real slow - 11-13 for the little kids learning to wakeboard but didn't surf when I had that boat.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       07-16-2014, 5:25 AM Reply   
I did a paddlewheel PP on mine for two reasons. First because there's always a current where I ride, second because I wanted water temp. The paddlewheel is always accurate once calibrated so if I had to do it again definitely paddlewheel. At higher speeds (slalom 30+ MPH) it can be off 1-2 MPH so it's better to go by the airguide so long as the pitot isn't plugged, which just means adjusting the PP slightly faster.

If I was in the market for speed control with the current offerings I'd most likely be going with RideSteady as they have one unit that works with both paddlewheel and GPS and has a few extra features that PP doesn't offer. Best of both worlds for about the same price.