Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Tolleson2354)      Join Date: Jun 2015       03-16-2017, 9:51 AM Reply   
I know you guys are sick of answering stereo questions and I have ask my fair share of them. But I have a pair or rev8s and ppi 900.4 amp ready to install but I have a few more concerns.

First, we decided to add a sub, not really wanting anything that hits hard just something to take some load off the Rev-8s and in boats. Thinking maybe the Wet sounds as-6 for its small foot print and tough enclosure. It will be mounted in the locker behind the passenger seat so it will see some abuse. Good or bad idea?

Next, to add the Roswell dual zone controller I think I am going to have to add another amp so i have a way to plug in the RCAs. Currently they are just ran off of the head unit. Thinking maybe the PPI 600.2? Or is there another way to wire in the dual zone with out adding an amp that i cant think of?

OR should i just build an enclosure and power the sub and in boats with another ppi 900.4?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-16-2017, 10:09 AM Reply   
Sub in a closed insulated unvented locker = not ideal, especially for a 6" woofer. Go with at least a 10", build an enclosure for a location thats radiating into the cabin

Yes, all speakers need to be driven by external amp in order to make use of the dual zone controller.

How many in-boats, 2 pair? the 900.4 would drive them and a mild 4 ohm woofer. Power wise, the 600.2 is ok for a pair of 8" HLCD.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       03-16-2017, 11:08 AM Reply   
A 6.5" woofer works well in an ATV/UTV as you are typically wearing or sitting atop the woofer. But unless it's bolted to the bottom of your seat, a 6.5" woofer will struggle to meet the challenges of a boat. Two core issues with a small woofer. First, a 6.5" woofer will have to travel three times as far to equal a 10" woofer output. The woofer that travels the least to make an equal output always sounds the best. Second, it takes either four times the excursion or four times the surface area to produce one octave lower bass at an equal output. So a 6.5" woofer isn't going to play very low in an open air environment. Rather it will be limited to more of a midbass driver. Again, heaven sent for an ATV/UTV but over-matched in a boat. So if you want to keep it small, keep it simple, keep it economical, and use it in a boat, start with the powered/enclosed/10" Wetsounds subwoofer.
Old     (Tolleson2354)      Join Date: Jun 2015       04-25-2017, 7:31 AM Reply   
Alright a few more questions. Got everything hooked up and installed last night. Sounds awesome so far but I'm not sure how aggressive to tune everything.

PPI 600.2 powering the rev 8s. Amp is rated at 190watts per channel, revs call for 200watts so I'm not going to over power them. Right now I only have the gain around 1/3 but they still sound super clear. Do I keep turning it up until there is distortion then back off?

PPI 900.4 powering the inboats and wet sound ss-10b sub. 2 channels powering the in boats match perfect on power ratings, Sub is rated 250watt rms and is hooked up to a single channel 145watts. Sould I bridge the last 2 channels making it 450watts and turn the gain way down? Or just keep it on the singe channel?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-25-2017, 8:41 AM Reply   
As to the woofer, depends on its impedance whether it can be bridged or not.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-25-2017, 12:07 PM Reply   
PPI 900.4 won't work for a sub. Been there done that. I'm running two 900.4 right now. One for the Rev 10's and one for the in boats and they work great for that. But the crossover lets to much voice through and the sub sounds terrible. I tried to be super cheap and do the same thing your thinking but after half a season of the sub not work right I just bought a cheap mono block amp and ran three and it sounds really good
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-25-2017, 12:08 PM Reply   
I had mine bridged
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-25-2017, 2:19 PM Reply   
Way more to an amp than just putting out wattage. Not uncommon at all for these price point amps to have POTs that are quite off from the nomenclature printed on the face and inconsistent from one to the other.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-26-2017, 9:26 AM Reply   
No offense man , but that 600.2 is really not getting the performance of those Rev 8's to their fullest. Those Rev 8's want 300rms to make them hummm. As mentioned lot more to amp matching than just power ratings. I agree with Johnblrc about the ppi running a sub. Not optimal.

Personally I would've run 900.4 bridged to the Rev 8's instead of the 600.2. You will get a noticeable performance increase and really get the most out the Rev 8's. Run the inboats off the 600.2 , and buy a mono for your sub. ......If you want it done right.