Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-13-2015, 2:50 PM Reply   
My dad is looking to replace the old Sony Xplods in his 05 VLX as they're all dry rotted and blown. Not looking to drop thousands on a crazy speaker setup, but he wants an improvement over those pieces of junk. I've been out of the speaker game for a while now, so hoping WW can help advise given the following constraints:

-same amps (2x 600W Sony Xplod amps. Right now we have one wired to the two tower speakers, and one for the 6 interior speakers. A 3rd 500W amp is for the sub only)
-6.5" only (even the two tower speakers). As awesome as a pair of Rev10s would be, the current mounted cans are 6.5" and we're looking to plug and play, not build a whole new system

I would love HLCD on the two tower speakers for riding and I think my pops is on board if the price is reasonable. So trying to decide if we should go cheaper on the 6 interior speakers (some solid quality Polk/JL kind of speakers) and 2 A+ speakers for the tower OR 8 higher quality 6.5s (same all around). I obviously hear great things about Wetsounds so looking at XS-65is and XS-650s. I searched and saw Kicker has some 6.5" HLCDs so those might work well for the tower.

Any advice is appreciated! I'm home for the week so he's hoping to order ASAP for a little father/son project.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-13-2015, 3:56 PM Reply   
My advice? Do it right the first time. Countless others as well as myself have spent (wasted) thousands upon thousands of dollars because we didn't do it right the first time. If rev 10's are what you think you may want, wait and get them. It's worth it and cheaper in the long run because you won't have money tied up in an existing system you aren't happy with. If it were me, I'd go without tunes for a while and get what you really want.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-13-2015, 4:16 PM Reply   
Adan,

If this is a Malibu VLX, you need to measure the tower pod's OD and ID to see if it will fit a driver the Kicker KMS67, Ive some across those pods that would only accept a 6" speaker. Also, the Kicker KMS67 is a 4 pod setup.

To get the needed power for a pair of HLCD, you would likely need to bridge one of your 4 chnl amp. In most cases, those older explode amps will not run in 2 chnl mode and only have a fixed hi-pass. So no go for bridging a pair of tower speakers.

You need to prioritize your needs based on what equipment is toast and needs to be replaced and what zone is the most important. If getting wake range projection is a high priority, then focus most of the available budget to the tower zone, put plan ahead for the future upgrades.
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-14-2015, 9:30 AM Reply   
Thanks for the responses. Rev10s aren't going to happen unfortunately. Sure I would like them but my dad doesn't care since he's never 70ft behind the boat and I'm only home 2 weeks a year so it just doesn't make sense (it's his system not mine). I know audiophiles think the xplods are a joke but overall we were happy with them so even a slight bump in quality would be a win. I could hear them while riding if we really cranked it up--just barely but it's something. So again if I can hear whatever we put on the tower at all, it'll be a win. So I guess it really comes down to if the xs65i s are an upgrade over the xplods and if the xs-650s are a significant upgrade from the xs65is for the tower. If the answer to both is yes, then I think we re set unless there is another brand that anyone thinks would be a better option for the price. And I'll double check the measurements today to make sure it is indeed 6.5s not 6s. Thanks
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-16-2015, 10:36 AM Reply   
Took one of the tower speakers out. According to the model # we looked up, it's a 6.5. I didn't realize speakers are like 2x4s. It measures just over what I would consider 5" but we confirmed they are indeed 6.5's all around. The cut out diameter is 5 1/16." Think we are going to order 6 XS-65is and 2 XS-650s unless anyone has a last minute warning against doing so!
Old     (bzubke1)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-16-2015, 10:53 AM Reply   
This is what I would spend the money on in your situation.

http://store.earmarkcaraudio.com/Xca...cat=390&page=1
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-16-2015, 11:26 AM Reply   
Because they are a better speaker or better value?
Old     (bzubke1)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-16-2015, 11:42 AM Reply   
The JL and xs-65 are very compareable in price and quality. I don't think you could go wrong either way, I just found the JL to have a warmer sound to my ear. As far as the xs-650, ice never heard those in person but they're supposed to be a great speaker but in a different price range than the xs65 and jl mx.