Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (zackariah)      Join Date: Aug 2014       08-13-2014, 9:43 PM Reply   
I just got bit by this hobby and love it so much I went out and got a boat, board and rv.
I am a beginner at wake boarding, with less then 20 rides. I just started jumping last time out behind my friends chaparral sunnesta. (hardly a wakeboarding boat but a fun boat still.

I got a 2003 avalanche escalade with 140 hours. It has a center ballast wake tower, and trim plate. what tips can you guys give me to max out my wake with what I have now. I plan to add upgrades to the boat this winter and I could use suggestions for that as well. I have taken all the seats out scrubbed them, they look brand new. Waxed the boat and removed the tacky avalanche sticker. I put in a new Teleflex cable changed the oil/filter fuel filter changed the impeller.

I picked up a 2013 Ronix modello board and divide bindings. I hope this board will work for me but I have no idea how to set it up.

The people I go out to the lake with are casual wake boarders so they cant really help me. I would like to get more serious. any help with all the above would be great.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-13-2014, 11:15 PM Reply   
Well you sure picked a nice boat for it. Starting out if you just started jumping, I wouldn't worry too much about ballast setup or anything like that yet. Work on your technique and some basics. You don't need a huge wake to do a lot, it does help, but technique is the main part.
What length of line are you running and at what speed? Don't be afraid to ride shorter and at slower speeds while you are learning.

About the boat setup though, I would fill the center tank and adjust the trim plate up. Drive it to see if you are porpoising at wakeboard speed, if not you're good, if you are, lower it until you're not. This will make sure you have the maximum sized wake with your stock setup and keep proper handling of the boat.

Not sure on the specifics of that board and bindings, but here's some general info. Jump straight up in the air and land. Take note of how wide your feet are the angle they are at, slightly wider than shoulder width apart. This is generally how you will want your bindings. Try to make sure they are toed out equally. This will make switch riding easier.
Old     (zackariah)      Join Date: Aug 2014       08-14-2014, 10:38 AM Reply   
Thanks for all that info. I'm not sure what length for the rope. The boat came with a bunch and I bought a new handle to attach to one of them. I'm guessing I will start at 70'. I believe I have been running about 20-22mph. I never thought to ask. I'm going to Havasu next weekend so I can check then.
Old     (rplogue7)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-15-2014, 6:07 PM Reply   
If I were you I'd start at 60' or so and move it out as your wake jumps get better and further. Also, specifics don't really matter until you need them. Start basic, and if your skill level requires, then you should add ballast and buy more expensive equipment etc.