Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-12-2011, 8:30 PM Reply   
Sick Video! Really shows the company off great!

They say flex is the future of wakeboarding, what do you think?

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-12-2011, 9:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo8290 View Post
They say flex is the future of wakeboarding, what do you think?
i've said it before, i'll say it again; no, it's not the future of wakeboarding, but it is another option. that's a good thing!
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-12-2011, 9:13 PM Reply   
That video really makes me want to look into a slingshot setup, the hooke maybe? They are a sick company
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-12-2011, 9:40 PM Reply   
I'm with Joe. I love flex for riding rails, but for wake, I like me a good stiff board. Its preference. And its nice to have as many options as there are preferences. So I hope Slinghshot and other related companies stay around, but they are not "the future of wakeboarding".
Old     (fredlap)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-13-2011, 3:26 AM Reply   
SS all the way! I really don't understand why you don't ride a SS behind a boat.... I only ride behind a boat and every SS I tried rock like nothing else! Don't be that conservative and oppen your mind! My Recoil has better edge control, more pop, softer landing, etc. than any other board I tried! I would say, flex is not the futur, it's the present and stiff board technology is the past! Move on!
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-13-2011, 4:27 AM Reply   
Maybe you shouldnt be so conservative and open your mind to the possibility that some of us, after having tried it, dont like flex for boat? Just because you like it doesnt mean I have to.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-13-2011, 9:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredlap View Post
SS all the way! I really don't understand why you don't ride a SS behind a boat.... I only ride behind a boat and every SS I tried rock like nothing else! Don't be that conservative and oppen your mind! My Recoil has better edge control, more pop, softer landing, etc. than any other board I tried! I would say, flex is not the futur, it's the present and stiff board technology is the past! Move on!
I LOVE SS and Flex too Fred, but i would echo Joe.

I would put it up there as one of the best things since the invention of 3 stage rocker. not all boards have it or ever will. it is a feature, an option to use more or less depending on style

... please guys tell me i was not this hyped in the beginning?
... hopefully i don't bend you out of shape either fred, but while i am thinking about you. how did those RAD 10s you order fit ya?

Last edited by wakerider111; 05-13-2011 at 9:56 AM.
Old     (flydenrict)      Join Date: Nov 2009       05-13-2011, 10:04 AM Reply   
i ride ss and love it behind boat. To me, it feels better to ride. its more fun that a stiff board. I rode my friends board (stiff) after getting used to the recoil and everything felt dampend, not as crisp. future of wake-- eh...thats a bit much. the more options the better--absolutely.

I'd also like to take this moment to address the "flex is a feature, not a category of board" debate. To me--flex boards mean flexible boards so flex is absolutley a category. if it were a feature, there would be some way to quantify or measure it to compare it to other boards i.e. rocker. To compare--it would be like if all wakeboards were flat as a board and the first year a board came out with a rocker line people said that it is only a feature. yeah its a feature that most boards dont have. therefore, a new category has been created. boom, roasted.
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       05-13-2011, 11:18 AM Reply   
Sure its not the sole future, but its clearly going to be part of the future. Since slingshot came in, pretty much every company has made a flex board and the amount of companies making flex keeps rising, like this year with the Ronix Phoenix and O'Brien Paradigm. There'll always be a market for stiff boards though, so I can't see that dying out at all but it looks to me that flex is here to stay.

On a side note, is this going to be a slingshot team video? Saw Lyman for a bit at the start and would love to see him in another video before he retires.
Old     (gfagien)      Join Date: Jun 2009       05-13-2011, 11:56 AM Reply   
my favorite video from patrick so far
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-13-2011, 11:49 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by flydenrict View Post
i ride ss and love it behind boat. To me, it feels better to ride. its more fun that a stiff board. I rode my friends board (stiff) after getting used to the recoil and everything felt dampend, not as crisp. future of wake-- eh...thats a bit much. the more options the better--absolutely.
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by flydenrict View Post
I'd also like to take this moment to address the "flex is a feature, not a category of board" debate. To me--flex boards mean flexible boards so flex is absolutley a category. if it were a feature, there would be some way to quantify or measure it to compare it to other boards i.e. rocker. To compare--it would be like if all wakeboards were flat as a board and the first year a board came out with a rocker line people said that it is only a feature. yeah its a feature that most boards dont have. therefore, a new category has been created. boom, roasted.
category might be a better word. i really like comparing the effect and influence of flex to that of rocker styles. rocker is difficult to measure too. sure we measure the distance from floor to tip, but sometimes there are different angles (if that's the right word?) used. you could have two boards with the same numerical measurement on the rocker, but actually have different rockers, even if they were both in the same rocker category. rockers sometimes blend various degrees of rocker, it all start becoming kind of vague. this is where all the descriptions come from like "abrupt," "progressive," "3 stage" "5stage" "mellow" "hybrid" etc. Flex is starting to adopt some similar vague labels, "hybrid" "stored energy board" "stiff in the center flexy in tails"...

fore something to be an absolute future of wake it would have to be as influential as, composite materials, Twin Tips, Wider Profiles, Multi Fins (molded or bolt-ons), discontinued use of rubber bindings. something that would be adopted 100%, replacing what was used before.
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-14-2011, 12:01 AM Reply   
I knows i asked what you guys thought about flex in the future, but my post was really more directed at the video just being SICK!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-14-2011, 12:11 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo8290 View Post
I knows i asked what you guys thought about flex in the future, but my post was really more directed at the video just being SICK!
Haha. for sure. love the double rail riding shots.

Also i suppose there is a chance we could be over interpreting McKee's words/meaning about "flex being the future" and seeing a capital "T" on the word "the." time will tell
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       05-14-2011, 6:18 AM Reply   
Yeah that Vid is Sick, so is Slingy!!