Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-06-2010, 8:41 PM Reply   
i work for Red Bull in new orleans louisiana and i might have a job offer with Red Bull in Orlando, FL after i graduate this december. i just wanted to get a heads up on what the scene is like out there. i keep hearing that i will be riding cable more so than boat. is it really hard to get a pull out there? i don't want to be a starving rider who is living in the mecca of the sport. i also heard its kind of clicky over there. like if you're not part of the "in crowd" or don't own a boat, its pretty hard to get a pull.

anyone from orlando or moved there... please give me some input, as i just would like to become familiar with the area and know how accessible riding is over there.
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       10-07-2010, 3:52 AM Reply   
no offense, but is this really a question? if you in with RedBull, use some of your contacts to get hooked up down there. Maybe even with one of the athletes.
Adam, JD (whos looking for another roommate), and many others. But to answer your q.....you would be in the mecca
Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-07-2010, 10:24 AM Reply   
i know i know... but i just hear different things. and just because i work for Red Bull doesn't necessarily mean i would be this noticeable person. my job wouldn't solely be focused on action sports down there... creative arts, music & entertainment, youth cutlure, etc. would entail other aspects of my job.

but i just wanted a heads up because i do hear it is clicky down there... like you have to get in good with a posse of riders basically.
Old     (mikejones)      Join Date: Jun 2009       10-07-2010, 12:26 PM Reply   
Don't let that make the decision on whether or not you take the job. I'm sure the opportunities with Red Bull there are better than they are here, and I'm assuming this will be a full time position, so I'd say roll with it. You're a personable fella, and you'll fit in a make friends to ride with quickly.
Old    mojo            10-07-2010, 1:12 PM Reply   
its really cool down there. it does get kind of old after a while i think. i guess anywhere does, but after the initial shock of "everybody rides" and there are lakes ever 5 feet wears off you can get frustrated.
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       10-08-2010, 4:34 AM Reply   
I love it here. I couldnt live anywhere else......just see if you can move out to the hood. And as far as things being clicky.....no its not. Everyone rides with everyone here. Its just like anywhere else, you do have that 5 guys you usually ride with that are close to you or right down the road. Im not driving to polk county everyday to go shred....ill drive to my buddys house down the road
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-08-2010, 5:54 AM Reply   
I don't think it's "clicky" in a "snob" kind of way, but it's definitely much harder to meet people here in my opinion, especially if you don't ride cable. Most of the lakes are small, so unless you are launching at different lakes regularly, you just don't get the opportunity to roll up and introduce yourself. If we lived in Orlando, I'm sure it wouldn't be as difficult to develop those relationships and establish a regular riding crew. Being 45 miles out, we rarely have more than 2 riders unless we have visitors in from out of town.

Still, you can't beat the environment as it relates to wakeboarding weather and places to ride! Every rider/boat owner that I have met has been very open to letting you join them and super cool people in general!

Going to the contests @ OWC (Wake Games & Performance Ski tournaments especially) is a great place to meet people!
Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-09-2010, 7:17 PM Reply   
gusy and gal, thanks for the input. lee, i actually have a friend that lives in the hood... on clear lake. his name is ben albright... you may or may not know him. he rides for Rukus and he used to live with phil aslinger. anyway, i know the hood is where a lot of riders stay. that would definitely be a good option for sure. i have time before i make a decision....
Old     (clearlakeirene)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-10-2010, 5:45 PM Reply   
I didn't wakeboard before I moved to Orlando, and once I started I met so many wonderful people to ride with. Orlando is a "small" town socially speaking, so once you get to know some people you will find that they will know other people that you know from a different group. I currently live on Clear Lake, and its a great place to ride!! My house is for sale if you are interested :-)
You can come ride with us anytime...we have a Malibu Wakesetter. 407-376-2699
Old     (clearlakescott)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-10-2010, 6:16 PM Reply   
I hate people saying its clicky here. If by clicky you mean everyone rides and predominetly on the lake they live on since there are like 30 within an hour drive. you may be right. But if you mean clicky like no one will give you a pull your retarded. Everyone is easy going and open to taking people out. What you wont find is people making a party out of going ridding every time they go out. As I travel the US and look for rides in other cities I find it hard to get a ride everywhere. But mostly find one and hang with those same people in their city just like here
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       10-11-2010, 5:01 AM Reply   
no problem.....all im saying is that there are tons of options to get you in somewhere
Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-11-2010, 6:45 AM Reply   
scott, i hear ya buddy. that's why i thought it would be good to ask on here... and ask the actual people who live there. people will always talk about a place like they know it well, even if they don't live there so its best to ask the actual residents. hell, people think we're all cajun or live on the bayou just because we're from louisiana. lol. who dat.

and irene. thanks for the heads up. are you renting the house or do you own and are trying to sell it? how many rooms?

Last edited by adamsilcio; 10-11-2010 at 6:48 AM. Reason: typo
Old     (norbiv)      Join Date: May 2009       10-11-2010, 8:15 AM Reply   
youlll be fine dude. everyone rides boat and cable just as much every day of the week
Old     (clearlakeirene)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-11-2010, 8:39 AM Reply   
I do own the house and am selling it. Its a 3 bed/2 bath on one of the canals. Its a great house. If you visit orlando to scope it out, give me a call and you can ride while you're here.
Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-12-2010, 8:31 AM Reply   
thanks irene. i was just there for expo for Rukus Board Shop but if i make a trip anytime soon it'll be to interview for the Red Bull job. i will definitely give you a call.

p.s. Norbi, not sure if you ever kick it with ben albright but i usually stay with him when i am down there. where do you usually ride?

Last edited by adamsilcio; 10-12-2010 at 8:32 AM. Reason: typo
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-12-2010, 8:50 AM Reply   
Attached Images

Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-12-2010, 9:00 AM Reply   
^ Norbi and Ben for anyone wondering why the hell I posted this pic hahaha From a shoot we did with Phil, AJ, and Alex last year:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...&id=1741699220
Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-12-2010, 10:56 AM Reply   
haha, hell yeah. old ben kenobi.
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       10-20-2010, 8:05 PM Reply   
Pulls are easy to find here, I get invited by people all the time & I'm not that great of a rider. Scott has invited me out more times in the last three years than I care to mention & I've have yet to take anyone up on their offers. Hell I have a older boat & if you can drive for me you can definitely ride behind mine until you make your own "clicks"
Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-21-2010, 10:22 AM Reply   
im just hoping that working for Red Bull will put me in touch with people that wakeboard regularly and open to give me a pull. i'm always down for gas money and i don't make a social event out of riding. i ride because i love to ride. if i wanted to socialize on the water, i would try and contact the party barge community. hahaha. but these replies are good info to keep in mind while i am sorting things out over here in Louisiana. its not set in stone but its a major possibility i will be working in orlando for Red Bull...