Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Old     (Dora)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-18-2010, 3:39 AM Reply   
Hello,
So, I've started wakeboarding several weeks ago since my dad got a jet ski. I wakeboard 1 time a week ( I don't have a driving license for the jet/boat and have to go to the places where we're not checked). Anyways, I've learned some things like surface spins and all the one hand riding thing, and some swich riding, but I'm having problems with jumping, it's seems that for me it's impossible to jump a wake, even though my boyfriend did it, so in theory so should I. Is it harder to jump a wake when being pulled by quite light jetski? I've watched several tutorials on getting more air and lenght, but even though I think I'm doing it all as said I still don't go all over. I would really like to get some tips on that.

Another question I would like to ask is what tricks can I do going behind a jet ski? Is there any possibility of stuff like inverts, rolls or at least grabs? I suppose it's enough air time for 180, but is there enough for 360s? And any interesting surface tricks?

This is one of my runs last weekend (my third time wakeboarding) in which I'm doing most of the stuff I've learned so far. I'd really appreciate any tips on my stance, riding and technique. We dont have certified instructors where I live (Lithuania) and I don't really want to pay over 100 eur/30min to people who don't really know if they're doing it right themselves. Sorry for the quality, the filming conditions were hard .

Thanks for your help in advance
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-18-2010, 3:46 PM Reply   
Hey Dora, I didn't watch your whole vid, but it looks like you're doing really well. those surface 180s are solid! Firstly, some tips for the jetski driver - It's really important they drive in a straight line as much as possible! every time the ski turns, the wake will crumble and wash out, making it impossible to even try jumping. from what I saw it looked like the ski was going in a big circle the whole time!! straight lines are really really important when you're driving for a wakeboarder!
secondly, it is really hard to do tricks behind a jetski, because the wake is so small. People who are really good at riding behind boats with big wakes might then be able to transfer some tricks back to jetski, but I think it's really unlikely you'll be able to learn inverts and 360s+ when there is effectively no wake. It's almost impossible to get your technique right when there's no wake! Don't give up, but I think you might need to lower your expectations a little. You're still going to have a heap of fun though, and it looks like you're learning really fast!
Another thing that will make things harder for you is that the rope tow point is quite low on the jetski. having a high tow point (like on a boat tower) actually helps you get air quite a lot! Lastly, what kind of rope are you using? you need a rope with no stretch, like spectra or dyneema. a stretchy rope will steal all the energy that you build up through your cut, so you will lose height on jumps. These are all just small things that are going to make it more difficult for you to learn big tricks than someone behind a boat....
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-19-2010, 1:03 AM Reply   
BS surface 1's and ollie 180's in your third set..........

Anyway you are very limited behind the jet ski, however there are things you could do to progress, surface 360's, ollie BS 180's.
I'm not sure about what other people here feel but wehn riding behind a jetski I find you get the best pop if you cross the first wake and pop inside out.
I've seen videos of people doing backrolls and tantrums behind a jet ski, and you could do air tricks though they would be very difficult to learn due to the downward pull of the rope.
Speaking of the rope, as Alice said invest in a good rope.

If you are worried about the level of coaching in Lithuania, check out Xtreme Gene in Spain, they have excellent coaches and you could learn a lot with them.
Or try the cable park in Riga......
Old     (Dora)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-19-2010, 2:22 AM Reply   
hey, thanks for help. havent thought about the rope inself, just about the handle. the rope is the cheapest I've found, cause we didnt think we'll start jumping and stuff streight away (and I'm hapy, cause we managed to pull it into the ski and then we had to cut it to get it out), anyways, the handle got all ripped the first day. so yeah, I've been thinking about new rope just for the wrong reasons .

wow, tantrums behind a ski? maybe there is a video anywhere?

I've checked several places in Latvia and there's one with reasonable prices, so I might try it .

Last edited by Dora; 08-19-2010 at 2:23 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old     (Dora)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-24-2010, 11:28 AM Reply   
so, i've got how the wake to wakes on jet ski works. i had to actually go a bit backwards into the wake, jump as much as i can and use the rope to pull myself forward. hope it's not so much work with a boat . and yes, the 180 off wake was a good idea, much easier and fun.