Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (smizidie)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-15-2010, 10:16 AM Reply   
Hi all! Does anyone have any recommendations for an infant uscg life vest that's not too bulky? I have a 6 month old and we're planning on taking her out on a boat in Tahoe next weekend.

Any thoughts? Anyone have issues bring their young kids out?

Thanks!
Old     (pcolajosh)      Join Date: May 2007       08-15-2010, 6:39 PM Reply   
O'Brien makes a great one. Our little girl loved it and she fit great into a laundry basket. First trip out at 3 weeks old. Just make sure to protect the kids from the sun! Also, we installed a FAE to keep the carbon monoxide from building up at the floor level.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-16-2010, 6:55 AM Reply   
My son never slept better and at 3 he still falls asleep if we are running at speed. The rougher the ride the deeper the sleep. Most people will tell you the same thing. The only word of caution is to watch overheating and too much sun. It's like wearing a winter jacket in the summer and infants cannot regulate their temp as well as an older child. I think the non-neoprene vests are cooler in the heat.
Old    ScottRobinson            08-16-2010, 7:48 AM Reply   
That is a great idea! The laundry basket. I wish we had thought of that. We have 4 kids all under 8 years old. And yet our youngest is 2 this year last year when he fell asleep it would have been great to put him in a basket to let him sleep. We would let him sleep next to the driver an he would sleep amazingly. Crazy, the more we went the harder he slept and if we stopped and went to a cove he would most of the time wake up. lol
Old     (daren)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-18-2010, 5:34 PM Reply   
We took one of the cheap orange nylon ones and removed the padding, trimmed it at an angle around the neck and then put it back together. It was very easy to do and really great after that. That Obrien one looks fine, but the others I've seen all have way too much padding around the neck.

After doing that for my kids vest, I'm thinking of making my USCG vest a bit more comfortable.
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-19-2010, 1:37 AM Reply   
We experimented with the wierd front triangle vests and the standard infant ones. Both forced our children's mouths and noses underwater if we didn't hold them. And both of our children didn't love either while they were awake. The vests are better than nothing if an accident happened, but I don't think any of them are really great.