Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (schmidt18)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-10-2010, 3:43 PM Reply   
In the middle of replacing my Water Pump on my Mobius V. CAN NOT get the d@mn mounting plate off of the harmonic balancer on the crankshaft!!

Any suggestions? I've tried everything I can think of and it won't budge. Bad thing is when my pump went out it blew the bearing so the pump isn't even attached to the mounting plate any more so I have nothing to pry against or wiggle back and forth. I've gotten everything off, EXCEPT the plate.

Please help, I am doing this as I type and need to get it done tonight! THANKS!!
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-10-2010, 3:50 PM Reply   
take a picture . then people that are mechanically inclined but not familar with that setup can help with suggestions.
Old     (schmidt18)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-10-2010, 4:14 PM Reply   
Best I could do right now. Can't find the camera.... PLEASE HELP!!!
Attached Images

Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-10-2010, 4:36 PM Reply   
have you tapped it with a hammer? or tried to get a screwdriver or chisel to break it loose. what have you tried?
Old     (dhcomp1)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-10-2010, 4:42 PM Reply   
Tap with hammer. Use something to pry it apart.

Coat inside of new one liberally with anti-seize before reinstalling.
Old     (schmidt18)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-10-2010, 5:29 PM Reply   
List of trials:

Hammer Tapping
Heating
Pully Puller (can't get a good grip)
Drilled holes to get better grip, still not good enough
Screwdriver
Chisel
Spraying with Brake Cleaner
Turing the engine over, try to spin it free

Any more ideas? This SUCKS!!! Def will coat with anti-seize before installing the new one, and using some emry cloth to shine it up a bit. Thanks!!
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-10-2010, 5:38 PM Reply   
Brake clean wont help you need to use something like W-D 40, Liquid wrench that sort of thing. I fought one on a supra last week so I know where your comming from. I had to use an air chissel to vibrate it off.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-10-2010, 5:49 PM Reply   
I would try and tap (thread) two of the holes in the mounting plate. One across from the other. Then take and screw two bolts in at the same time. Which in theory should push the mounting plate out. I would soak that ting with penetrating oil. When you re assemble put some (silver) anti- seize on it.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-10-2010, 5:49 PM Reply   
You might need to drown it penetrating oil (real penetrating oil) and let it sit over night. It works wonders but does take time.
Old     (schmidt18)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-10-2010, 5:54 PM Reply   
just coated the he!! out of it with WD.

Kevin - where did you run the air chisel on it at?

I am trying to avoid tapping the holes, in theory, that should work, but I think I'll have to remove the muffeler/exhaust to get enough room to run a tap in the holes.

What kind of penetrating oil do you recommend?

Thanks for all the input guys! Please keep it coming...

Last edited by schmidt18; 06-10-2010 at 6:01 PM.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-10-2010, 6:01 PM Reply   
Liquid wrench has always worked good for me.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-10-2010, 6:05 PM Reply   
Can you heat it up with a torch?

I would think that you could drive a large flat head screwdriver between the two mating surfaces with a hammer.

Good luck
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-10-2010, 6:07 PM Reply   
never mind...looks like you tried those already
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-10-2010, 6:56 PM Reply   
bigger hammer. Get mad.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-10-2010, 7:37 PM Reply   
"bigger hammer" will do no good in that tight spot on top of there is really nothing of the pump left to hit.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-10-2010, 7:39 PM Reply   
try pb blaster or liquid kroil they are penatrating oils that work very well but like stated previously let sit overnite and it works best.
Old     (schmidt18)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-10-2010, 7:58 PM Reply   
Allright guys, I appreciate your help. Got it soaking in penetrating oil (liquid wrench) I'll let it sit overnight and see if I can get it to budge in the morning. If not, I may be out of options and have to take it to a local shop.

If you think of anything else, please let me know. Thanks again!
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-10-2010, 8:08 PM Reply   
if you can't get a good swing with a hammer a long punch or steel rod may help break it loose. good luck.
Old     (schmidt18)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-11-2010, 6:34 AM Reply   
Penetrating oil also did not work. Tried a big punch and hammer this morning to no avail.

Any other suggestions before I bite the bullet and haul it somewhere?
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-11-2010, 7:03 AM Reply   
Hit the weights in the off season???? j/k

That's about all I can think of
Old     (roomservice)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-11-2010, 7:17 AM Reply   
how much harder would it be to get the harmonic balancer off so you could bench whack it off with a bfh? Or is the plate that's stuck blocking that action?
Old     (schmidt18)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-11-2010, 7:36 AM Reply   
Yeah, I'm back up for some options. The only inboard service in a 300 mile radius is backed up a week to week and a half. Need to have it done alot sooner than that.

I will pick up some PB Blaster, heat it up, drill some holes or make some slots of some sort to get a pully puller on it and keep trying I guess.

I'm worried about bending the crank by hitting it too hard, how much should I worry about it?

Still looking for more suggestions....
and thanks again to all those that are helping!!
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-11-2010, 7:42 AM Reply   
Woops, just deleted my last post...
Quote:
Weird. I pulled mine off a couple weeks ago to extract a broken cover bolt, but mine fell right off when I got the 4 bolts out of the harmonic balancer. My boat is a 1996, and I think this is the first time it's been off.

I suggest cutting a couple slots in the sides of the flange (parallel to the face of the balancer) with a cutting wheel or Dremel to give you something to pry against.

Not all penetrating oils are the same. PB Blaster and Kroil are good ones. Liquid Wrench and WD40 are not nearly as effective in my experience. Heat it with a torch, and spray oil on the crack. The heat will help draw the lube in. Repeat.

Like someone else said, get a big hammer and a sharp chisel and get mad. You should be able to drive a sharp chisel into the crack, whether it ends up coming off or not.

You won't bend the crank, unless you're using a big sledge hammer.

You can't use a puller on it unless there's a hole thru the center to push against the crank / balancer. Isn't the pump shaft in the way? A crowbar should work, though.

Last edited by trace; 06-11-2010 at 7:44 AM.
Old     (schmidt18)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-11-2010, 8:33 AM Reply   
I guess I am confused.

I found the camera, went home and snapped some pictures quick.

The shaft shown in the picture, is that part of the pump, meaning it comes out with the mounting plate or is it part of the crankshaft?

I was under the assumption that it was part of the crank. Please let me know. Thanks
Attached Images

Old     (dirtysparks)      Join Date: May 2004       06-11-2010, 9:09 AM Reply   
That's part of the pump, not the crankshaft. It should come off with the plate when you take out the 3(4?) bolts. I think I might have a picture of my unit somewhere, stand by.
Old     (dirtysparks)      Join Date: May 2004       06-11-2010, 9:22 AM Reply   
Well this isn't a great pic, but you can see the shaft in the center of the impeller connected to the mounting place that you can't really see.
Attached Images

Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-11-2010, 9:26 AM Reply   
Yes, that's part of the pump flange. Beat the hell out of it if necessary.

It does look like your flange is recessed into the face of the balancer, though. No way to get a chisel in the crack if so.

Last edited by trace; 06-11-2010 at 9:32 AM.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-11-2010, 10:53 AM Reply   
Pull the muffler so you can get to it. Yours is like the one on my Supra. That flange sits inside of the pulley. You should be ok to hit the splined end of the shaft. Give it two good hits then bump the motor over and repeat this process. Hitting in the same spot will do no good. If that does not work tap the holes. If you are using heat you do not want to heat the flange. You would need to heat the pulley and be careful doing that because mine is aluminum.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-11-2010, 11:07 AM Reply   
I know you looked but do us a favor and tripple check all the bolts are out. You should be able to smack the splined shaft like was said above. two angles back and forth to work it out. Is this a salt boat? Unusual for a sweet water boat.
Old     (schmidt18)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-11-2010, 11:27 AM Reply   
yeah, all the bolts are out, checked like 10 times. I haven't hit on the spline yet. I bet it does pop right out now.

I just assumed that was attached to the crank, my idiot mistake of the week...
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-11-2010, 11:39 AM Reply   
man that picture was worth a thousand words. just smack the shaft it gives you better leverage . you'll be done in no time.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-11-2010, 11:42 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidt18 View Post
yeah, all the bolts are out, checked like 10 times. I haven't hit on the spline yet. I bet it does pop right out now.

I just assumed that was attached to the crank, my idiot mistake of the week...

No... I strongly disagree. You did the right thing. You stopped and asked for help. That is a very evolved thing to do. The idiot would have trailered his boat 300 miles and waited three weeks to pay a tech $100 to smack it with a hammer.

Good job.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-11-2010, 11:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by baitkiller View Post
No... I strongly disagree. You did the right thing. You stopped and asked for help. That is a very evolved thing to do. The idiot would have trailered his boat 300 miles and waited three weeks to pay a tech $100 to smack it with a hammer.

Good job.
+1, It's ALWAYS a good idea to get advice first. This just shows that it's always a good idea to post a pic, too.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-11-2010, 8:22 PM Reply   
well did you get it done?
Old     (schmidt18)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-11-2010, 9:15 PM Reply   
Actually, I was trying to get it done for a guy because I am selling my boat and wanted to get it changed before he picked up. He decided he wanted it bad enough to get it done him self.

I left it as you see in the picture and he picked it up about 5 hours ago. Gave him all the suggestions to get it off.

Needless to say, I am now boatless, got it sold....

THANKS a million for all your guys help!!!!
Old     (schmidt18)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-11-2010, 11:43 PM Reply   
Just talked to the guy that bought the boat. Couple taps, as suggested, on the shaft and it came right out. Put the new one on and he is good to go! Thanks again for all your help!