Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 04, 2009

Old     (misfits1981)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-12-2009, 8:58 AM Reply   
My buddy has his boat in the shop trying to get the steering cable replaced and the shop is telling him the part for a 1998 v210 is discontinued. Anyone with this boat replace their cable recently? If so can you let me know what cable you used?
Old     (topside_marine)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-12-2009, 9:47 AM Reply   
Unfortunately, bad news. If it is the A11111 A20 cable then the information is correct. It will require a change in the helm assembley and then a new cable (unless you can find a custom cable shop to build one that will fit the helm). There are about 3 parts numbers required to do the job.
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-12-2009, 1:08 PM Reply   
I seem to recall that Teleflex updated all their cables and there should be a new model that replaces the previous one. Just changed one on my 2003 V210 and upgraded to the Teleflex Xtreme. All I had to do was tell the shop it's a 21' foot cable and they had it for me the next day. Is it a rack and pinion like this? http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1466 If so the last two numbers on the cable should be the length. Mine was a 21' footer go figure a Sanger V210 uses a longer cable than a Malibu 247 haha.
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-12-2009, 1:15 PM Reply   
how hard is this install to do yourself? I have a 02 and think its time for a new cable..
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-12-2009, 1:21 PM Reply   
Isaac, it's not too bad I did mine the same time as my impeller so I already had the fuel filter and water hoses out of the way. I had a hard time breaking loose the steering cable nut from the aluminum pipe housing or whatever the heck it is that's attached to the hull so I just removed the whole assembly to make it easier. Use a piece of rope for a pull string and it's really easy to put it back in. Oh yeah and mine failed because the duct cap at the rudder side of the aluminum pipe housing fell off allowing water to get back to the cable. Checking this periodically and keeping it greased is on my checklist now.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-12-2009, 1:55 PM Reply   
This is the cable for the 03 V210. I bought one earlier this year for my boat.
http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=TELSSC13420
Old     (sangerlover)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-12-2009, 3:22 PM Reply   
Darren-
Thats interesting. My cable on my 03 v210 is a SSC13421? I wonder whats up with that?
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-12-2009, 3:30 PM Reply   
I asked Skimdim and that's the model they gave. It installed no problem and I can drive with 1 finger again. I took the muffler, water pump and fuel filter out to give me some room, took 3-4 hrs in total I guess but it was raining cats and dogs and the boss had house duties for me todo so I took my time if you know what I mean. I also fitted kit with an extra seal on the end of the cable to keep the water out. Happy days.
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-12-2009, 4:07 PM Reply   
SSC13421 here as well. Sanger dealer nearby quoted a 20 footer though so I'm guessing you can get by with a foot less}.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-12-2009, 9:33 PM Reply   
Yep, just did a 99 DLX, (same as V210 but direct drive) and yes you have to get the kit that includes new helm and cable...