Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (patrick)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-02-2013, 9:30 AM Reply   
I've done quite a bit of research and have decided on the speakers and head unit I will be purchasing. Just not sure of the amplifier as I don't have much audio knowledge. I will just be replacing my 4 speakers in my cabin area for my '03 Malibu Wakesetter. So... No tower speakers, no subwoofer, and I'm trying to do with w/o my wife complaining about the cost.

Speakers: Polk Audio MM651 (don't think I need UM's) $127.99 / pair
Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-X9500BHS $179.88
Amplifier: PA 660.4 $137.97 or PA D4000.4 $244.97 or other option??

Total Cost $573.83 or 680.83 (plus taxes / delivery / etc / etc)

Is the PA 660.4 enough to power the MM651's to make the speakers worthwhile purchasing or would I be better or spending a little more for the PA D4000.4?

Amplifier Specs:

PA 660.4: 75 Watts x 4 continuous, 85 x 4 dynamic power (2 ohm load), 4 channel mode.
150 Watts x 2 (4 ohm) continuous power, 2 channel mode. CEA-2006 compliant specifications for true, accurate power ratings. 4-channel, dual bridge-mono (2-channel), or dual simultaneous stereo/mono operation provide a variety of configurations and setups: 4-channel for front and rear speakers; 2 speakers and a sub; 2 subwoofers, 2 ohm stable 4-channel operation

PAD4000.4: The PA D4000.4 amplifier is capable of bridging two full-range channels into a single full range channel with higher output power. For instance, one front and one rear channel will increase the output power from 125W per channel to 400W per channel (for a 4 ohm load). The most common hookups for the PA D4000.4 would be four full-range channels, two full-range channels and a bridged sub, or two bridged subwoofers.

Thanks!

Patrick
Old     (jpaul)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-02-2013, 3:29 PM Reply   
This will open a can of worms but What i have seen and heard that sounds pretty good is to run the 6'.5 's off a headunit with wattage. Turn down the bass on the headunit and power a sub. Most amps come with a bass boost which will compensate for the neg bass on the headunit. I just bought a new 2011 than top of the line Kenwood for my truck for $87 shipped, amazon. Ebay has some really good sub boxes for $45 shipped, for sub i would get a 10" RE Audio DVC SRX ( i have a old 10" polk in a ebay ported box that sounds great), $90 shipped on ebay. For your amp get class D amp, i have a keenwood 1000w mono that powers my sub just fantastic $100. You might be able to get away with the inboard speakers you already have, but even if you do replace em you will be neg on your proposed budget with this route. Or maybe just add a sub to all your existing equipment first and see how that sounds. Also don't forget either way you need an amp wiring kit .
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-03-2013, 6:09 AM Reply   
The MM651's are 2.7ohm speakers - they are not your typical 4ohm speaker. As such, you will not be able to use most 2 channel amps and run the speakers in parallel as your ohm load will be too low. A head unit would be very unhappy pushing those speakers. Even if you were running a 4ohm speaker the above advice isn't something I would follow, especially for a boat application.

The D4000.4 would be a great match for the speakers. If you want to save some money, the PPI 900.4 is PPI version of the Polk D4000.4.

If you may end up adding a sub latter, you could also go with the D5000.5 and just not use the 5th channel for the sub until you add one.

For my semi-modest setup, I use a D5000.5 to run my 4 UM651's and a 12" Exile sub. I use the D4000.4 to run my 4 Exile surf speakers.

Last edited by nitrousbird; 09-03-2013 at 6:12 AM.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-03-2013, 6:37 AM Reply   
With 2 pair, a 2 chnl amp will be fine, just wire them in series instead of parallel. Most any 4 chnl will be fine.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-04-2013, 6:25 AM Reply   
Except in series it will be a 5.4ohm load, so you will need something rated around a 250x2 RMS @4ohm to perform decently.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-04-2013, 7:10 AM Reply   
For 2 pair of 6.5" coaxials in the main cabin, I dont think that much power is a must for good performance. For 2 pair on the tower, I would agree. But a 4 chnl with a single 2.7 ohm wired to each chnl, is going to net more wattage for probably less money.