Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 19, 2008

Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-29-2008, 9:08 PM Reply   
I just got 4 new Hollow Point 770's on the tower and holy schitt they are loud. I'm pushing them with a JBL Px300.4 which supplies 123.5 watts per channel at 4 ohms. This is well below their RMS but in speaking to Ben from Acme I decide it would work. Not only does it work but standing 20 feet behind the boat at 24 of 35 on the volume you can't even hear yourself talk it's obscene. I haven't ridden behind them yet but I imagine their gonna do the job and then some. Amazingly Ben said if I throw 250 watts at them they'll really open up!!! As it sits now they dominate my interiors even faded 3/4 to the cabins which are no joke too ARC components powered by an Alpine PDX 100.4 I can hardly imagine more power to the HP770's.

I pulled the cans apart when I was wiring them up and I couldn't believe the size of the 2 magnets on these things. I'll try to get some pictures posted up. The other crazy thing is that I went from 4 6.5" cans (Boss b60 and Boss b70) to these and actually gained space and improved head room. I went with the chrome cans with black grills and they look great on my black tower. I'll try and get some pictures up soon.

Anyway, I wanted to give some props to Ben for helping me out from afar not only on price but tuning too. Thanks brotha!
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-29-2008, 10:17 PM Reply   
Here is the magnet:

Upload
Old     (soundbox)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-29-2008, 11:26 PM Reply   
Jeremy (Hatepain) - I'm glad you didn't waste any time in getting the Hollow Points up! I'm sure the 4 770 chrome cans with black grills on a black tower must look killer. Most people are amazed how efficient they are and I'm happy to know they exceeded your expectations. Give me a call after you get behind them on the water or if you have any questions.
Old    mendo247            07-30-2008, 7:52 AM Reply   
Nice!

Lets see some pics of them mounted up.!
Old     (pdqwrx)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-30-2008, 11:03 AM Reply   
congrats...And Ben is right, with more power they really come into there own. We routinely run 4 770's with a 1000 watts and they rock.

Cheers
Scott
Old     (stewart)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-30-2008, 11:14 AM Reply   
Scott,

Do you think 4 ohms is the way to go on these?

Hate N Pain, get some pics up!!!
Old     (majestic)      Join Date: May 2008       07-30-2008, 8:04 PM Reply   
I have bullet 660's with a Alpine Pdx 4.100 running 200watts to each and they are indeed freakin loud. Nice choice
Old     (goodwin)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-31-2008, 7:38 AM Reply   
Hey Jeremy,
those Hollow Point 770's sounded great last nite! I could hear them loud n clear up on our deck.
The next time we have a party, could I have you drop anchor about 50 yards out from our dock and crank them up for few hours?
Nice choice!
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-31-2008, 9:35 AM Reply   
Thanks Brown, Keith on the other side of the lake said the same when I was down near his house. My ears are still ringing a little those kids like it loud and rowdy. I've been pulling some kids from the Boys and Girls club on Wednesday nights. I'm gonna have to crank it up and get behind it on the wakeboard to determine for myself.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-31-2008, 10:03 AM Reply   
Here ya go: Ignore the Cobalt in the back ground it's a rental my wife got rear ended (insert joke here)

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (pdqwrx)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-31-2008, 11:19 AM Reply   
WOW! Those look GREAT. Just enough chrome and the black grills offset the bling....

Stewart- Not sure what you mean by 4 ohms......
Please elaborate...Are we talking about your boat or Hate's boat?

Cheers
Scott
Old     (stewart)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-31-2008, 12:01 PM Reply   
hypothetically with the 770's, are we going to get better sound and volume running a 4 ohm feed.

For example, a GT-24 funning a pair vs a gt-28 running 2 pairs.

I noticed that when the midbass is turned up (more highs) that the speakers get louder since it doesn't have to work as hard pushing the woofer. Just wondering if 4 ohms at say 150w would be better than the 200w at 2 ohms.

Hate- Nice setup!!!!!
Old     (pdqwrx)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-31-2008, 1:15 PM Reply   
Stewart- The impedance really only matters to the amp. Each amp is designed to run a specific "load" or range of loads. Boston GT series amps make the most power and are designed to run at 1-2 ohms stereo. They will run 4 ohms with no problem but will make less power the at 2 and less power at two then at 1. As for crossover settings....You can typically turn the gain up higher if you cross the speakers over higher because the lack of midbass changes the relationship between the speaker and the amp. That's not to say that it is actually louder, just louder in the midrange/tweeter area. I have found that having a "Fatter" sounding midbass will yield slightly lower peak spl numbers but a much better listening experience behind the boat.

This brings up a great point....These adjustments are done by ear on a boat and system basis and are not able to be sold on the internet or even really explained over the phone so it is a good idea to partner up with a great shop who employs someone with a good ear for tuning (Like Ben at ACME). It's also important to go over your goals with who ever is tuning your boat because if you don't like a "Fatter" midbass then by all means use a higher crossover point and gain structure...

Back to impedance, most amps will have a higher distortion rating as impedance falls but Boston amps are designed to maximize 2 ohms. You would not be able to hear the difference in added THD in the boat, behind the boat or even with your ear at the speaker. You can however hear a difference in the way it's tuned....

Cheers
Scott
Old     (stewart)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-31-2008, 1:36 PM Reply   
gotcha!