Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 19, 2008

Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-21-2008, 3:17 PM Reply   
Hey Guys, I wanted to get some advice on setting 2 V drive twins in my boat. I have a 2008 Tahoe Q6 Sport, Stern Drive (I know I know, I should have bought a full inboard). We weren't into boarding last year and got into it this year and its just taken off. Really cant afford a full inboard right now. So here's what I have. I bought 2 Straight Line V Drive twins and they are 350lbs a piece. I was going to put on in the ski locker and the other in the middle on the back floor. Any suggestions on other locations or ideas? We used 300lbs of sand and I could tell a difference so im hopin 700 will make more. We are still playing with the trim too. Thanks everybody.
Old     (fossilfuelburner)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-21-2008, 3:39 PM Reply   
My suggestion is: one in the ski locker, other in the bow, trimmed between 1/4 and 1/2. That's how I weigh mine with two sac. Having weight in front makes the wake harder. Weight in rear will make the wake steeper but not as hard. Also, the trim can be used to sink the rear.
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-21-2008, 5:51 PM Reply   
Ok, I'll try that, it gets on plane around 3200 rpm, which is about where I board at 22-23 ish...so at that point its kinda like it cant decide what to do..My gf usually sits in the front left (130) and best friend in drivers seat (200). I was told a 60/40 split for the rear to front...I wouldnt have anything in the rear, unless you count the engine an d stern drive...just curious...thanks for your help too
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-21-2008, 7:15 PM Reply   
The 60/40 split is for an inboard, with your i/o you want to add most of the weight in the front and then use the trim to push the back down. I'm not sure what engine you have in the Tahoe, many i/o's are underpowered for significant ballast addition.

My opinion is that horsepower is the biggest drawback on i/o's. If they put a 330 hp engine in you could add the ballast and have a wake very near an inboard on many of the i/o's.

The biggest difference in the cost of a mid to upper end i/o and an inboard is the cost of the engine.
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-21-2008, 8:04 PM Reply   
Yeah, when I bought mine, it is prolly a little underpowered. It did everything and more that we needed it to (for tubing and skiing) but now that we've moved to wakeboarding its become apparent. I have the 4.3, it has good out of the hole shot and great response and speed, just need to get it worked out on where we need to be for our settings, maybe change the prop...maybe a V drive once I make it better....This is an upgrade from my first boat....A 1973 Starcraft Holiday...lol...when my girlfriend fell out of the passenger seat because it was rotted and I took a turn hard, I decided that day to buy a new boat...
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-25-2008, 8:56 PM Reply   
Hey, I just wanted to give an update...We got out today for the first time this week...long overdue...but WOW..350 in the locker and 350 in the bow with trim about half way..AMAZING..wake cleaned up perfectly and I was throwin about 3-4 ft wakes...Wake to wakes were easier and the boat didn't even act like it was having any struggle and planed in a heartbeat..Thanks everybody for the advice..the middle was rough but to the sides it was butter....and no more whitewash! Thanks again!

(Message edited by SilverMustang35 on July 25, 2008)